Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing 16 year old Phylicia Barnes

Default Missing 16 year old Phylicia Barnes

Baltimore police are growing increasingly worried that 16-year-old Phylicia Barnes, who disappeared from her sister's Northwest Baltimore apartment, will not be found alive. She was visiting Baltimore from North Carolina and planned to go to Towson University.

She was last seen last Tuesday.

Her family has flown into Baltimore and held a vigil and have hit the streets chasing rumors in what has been a fruitless search. Baltimore homicide detectives are involved, and city police have gone on national television pleading for help.

Barnes was last seen after leaving her sister's apartment on Eberle Drive near the Reisterstown Road Metro station. She had gone shopping, but her family said she did not know the area well. Police said she was last seen with her sister's boyfriend, though they tell me he has been interviewed three times by detectives and is not a suspect.

Barnes is a stand-out, straight-A student who enjoyed theater and was to graduate early from high school.

Baltimore Crime Beat: Teen-aged girl still missing; authorities not hopeful - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com

It is so sad. Many people believe her sister had something to do with it..
    Last edited by *DIVA!; January 7th, 2011 at 09:19 PM.

I read about this today. Very sad. I hope the sister didn't have anything to do with it.

how horrible! poor thing.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Beautiful smile. I hope she is found
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

She is beautiful.

What's pointing to the sister as a suspect? Do they think it was jealousy over the boyfriend?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Sort of scary that the police are sounding so glum. Such a pretty girl. Just once I wish we would find out the missing girl ran off with a prince.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

So sad I hope they find her. I hope her sister didn't have anything to do with it. Such a waste of a young life with so much promise
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

It makes me really worried that the cops are already "not hopeful". I feel they know something they're not telling, and it's definitely not good.

Have heard a bit about this....and its just so sad.

She is absolutely gorgeous! And smart! Has so much ahead of her....hope the police are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    She is beautiful.

What's pointing to the sister as a suspect? Do they think it was jealousy over the boyfriend?
    It took the sister a long time to report her missing. She left out of the without her cellphone(what teenager does that)? She didn't know the area, so why did they let her leave out the house with her pj's on...her sister house was part house that had anywhere from 5 to 20 men at the house at any given time.
    When the sister was interviewed by the news she was so nonchalant about the situation and her sister... And I believe she was jealous of her younger sister period...

OMG, how awful. Why did the sister have so many men at her house all the time?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The sister's house was like a party house of some sorts...

I read that the police are saying Phylicia was abducted. I can't find the article, but I was wondering why they think that...did they come up with some evidence? I hope they find her safe.

Default Story not getting much play because she's black?

Missing teen: Ignored because she's black? - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

MONROE, N.C. The mother of a missing North Carolina teen is pleading for information about her 16-year-old daughter in a case police say might have gained more media attention if the girl had been white.

Baltimore police set up 24-hour hotline 855-223-0033 and are pleading for the community's help in finding Phylicia Simone Barnes.

Phylicia Simone Barnes disappeared while spending Christmas break with relatives in Baltimore, her mother, Janice Sallis of Monroe, N.C., told NBC News on Tuesday.

She last talked to Phylicia on Christmas Day, just three days before she disappeared from her half-sister's apartment in northwest Baltimore.

"I told her how sad that I was because all of the children were gone and that next year, they're not going to be able to go because I was lonely without them. And she said, 'Mommy, I miss you, too,'" Sallis said.

Her disappearance has been reported in local media, NBC's TODAY show and CNN. But a Baltimore police official told NBC News that had the missing person been white, the case might have received even more media attention, perhaps aiding investigators in finding a suspect.

"I think the question has to be asked. It's not my position, I don't know what goes into these decisions, but this is Baltimore's Natalee Holloway case," said Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department. Holloway, then 18, disappeared in 2005 while on a high school graduation trip to Aruba. Her remains have never been found.

Guglielmi said he and "the commander of the homicide unit had been prepared to go on CNN's Nancy Grace but got bumped for an hour-long report on a missing Texas cheerleader," The Baltimore Sun reported.

"Day two, day three, when we were putting information out about Phylicia's disappearance, we were talking about birds falling out of the sky in Arkansas," Guglielmi said in an interview with CNN, The Charlotte Observer reported. "And this girl's in danger. And she needs help. And it was very frustrating for my office to see an anemic response from our national media partners."

Nearly 100 officers from city, state and federal agencies joined in the search for Phylicia, a popular, straight-A student who was reported missing Dec. 28. There has been no sign of her since. No cell phone calls or use, no use of her credit cards, and no updates to her Facebook page.

Guglielmi said detectives believe the teen may have been abducted, in part because of items she left at the apartment. Police described the apartment as a flop-house for college students. Janice Sallis told a North Carolina newspaper that at least 20 men had stayed at the house during her child's stay,

"We're doing everything we can do," Guglielmi told The Baltimore Sun. "We're basically at square one with the investigation. It's not like we have forensic evidence to guide us. The key here will be community intelligence."

Barnes is from Monroe, N.C., about 25 miles southeast of Charlotte. Her mother said her daughter was on track to graduate early from a charter school and had been applying to colleges.

Two congressmen also pleaded to the public to help solve the disappearance. Reps. Elijah Cummings of Maryland and Larry Kissell of North Carolina issued a joint statement asking the public to contact Baltimore police immediately with any information about Barnes' whereabouts.

That poor mother I have a bad feeling about this one
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information