Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 14-Year-Old Accused Of Killing Her Baby Could Get Life In Prison

  1. #16
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Once again, I'm not sure what is supposed to be done with these kids that commit these types of crimes. I agree, at 14, you fucking know it's wrong to murder someone. Strangling your newborn in a toilet is pretty hardcore and cold-blooded. Don't most states have safe haven laws where you can drop off your baby and face no charges? Still, I'm not really on board with life in prison. It's horrible because something has to be done that's harsh and serious enough, but that also allows this girl to eventually be a productive member of society when she gets out.
    This. I'm torn about these kinds of cases too.

    I don't know what can be done. If the point of incarceration is to deter or to rehabilitate, charging her as an adult does neither.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

  2. #17
    Elite Member Laurent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Out There
    Posts
    38,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    you can't pick and choose and say that if a kid has something bad done to them, they're children, but if they're the ones who commit a crime, all of a sudden they're monsters who deserve to be punished like adults.
    There are monsters who exist that just happen to be short on years. I don't know if this particular girl is one or not, but I think there are cases where you do have to take the facts and weigh them, and look at the juvenile offender to decide what's best for everyone involved, including the public as a whole. If the facts of a particular case warrant it, then I can get on board with certifying a juvenile to adult criminal court.

    This is just one of those things where everyone's milage may vary. But I do know that for myself, there are some "children" out there that committed awful crimes that I damn sure would not want living anywhere near me or my family that were out simply because they aged out of incarceration.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

  3. #18
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    I agree that you have to take things on a case by case basis and some kids (and adults) are really beyond help. You can't really rehabilitate a sociopath, if that's what she is.

    I read the other articles linked in the original post and the weird thing is that two of her aunts suspected she was pregnant. The mom was in denial, but had her take two pregnancy tests - which the girl did all alone and had shown her mother the negative tests as proof she wasn't pregnant. The officials were thinking about charging the adults for knowing about the pregnancy and keeping it secret. What I don't get is if she had that many adults asking her about it, why did she go to such extremes to hide it?
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

  4. #19
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,394

    Default

    Why didn't her mother or her aunts drag her to the nearest gynaecologist? How could everyone fail this girl so badly?

    I don't think she's a sociopath. She isn't the first and she won't be the last teen to do something like this. And I don't think she deserves life in prison. Melissa Drexler (Prom mom) was out in 3 years and she was much older than this kid.
    Kittylady likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

  5. #20
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    13,808

    Default

    Trying kids as adults is ridiculous. If they don't like the amount of time juveniles can be locked up for then maybe that's the law they should be changing.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

  6. #21
    Elite Member MmeVertigina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Your inner ear
    Posts
    3,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I agree that you have to take things on a case by case basis and some kids (and adults) are really beyond help. You can't really rehabilitate a sociopath, if that's what she is.

    I read the other articles linked in the original post and the weird thing is that two of her aunts suspected she was pregnant. The mom was in denial, but had her take two pregnancy tests - which the girl did all alone and had shown her mother the negative tests as proof she wasn't pregnant. The officials were thinking about charging the adults for knowing about the pregnancy and keeping it secret. What I don't get is if she had that many adults asking her about it, why did she go to such extremes to hide it?

    I am wondering if she was raped by a family member or friend of the family. Either she is a sociopath or had so much anger at whoever impregnated her that she was mentally able to strangle her own child with them.
    Waterslide likes this.

  7. #22
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,951

    Default

    This is so damn disturbing to me! I have a 14 year old and I just can't imagine my child having a child, killing a child or being tried as an adult. There is something WRONG here. I can't wrap my head around this kind of thing. I remember being 14 and I just NEVER would have done something like this. I would have been terrified to tell my parents that I was pregnant but I think it'd be even harder to look in the mirror and know that I was a murderer! This is one jury I could NOT ever be on! I just can't with this one.
    Waterslide likes this.

  8. #23
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    We don't know that she murdered him because he was an inconvenience - maybe she came from a strict/religious background and was scared of what would happen to her. I can't imagine what it would be like to be 14 and trying to hide a pregnancy, and while I'm sure I wouldn't have killed it, that's more likely because I wouldn't have been as afraid to tell my family. She's just a baby herself, so I'm not willing to write her off as a sociopath until I know the circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    This bitch had 9 months to look into all of her options, and there were many. The fact that she hid the pregnancy and then killed the baby immediately after its birth indicates to me that this was premeditated.
    faithanne, i don't care why she killed him because like SB said, she had plenty of time to figure out a safe way to anonymously give up the baby. drop it at a hospital, fire station, etc. and no one would have found out. did she do that? no, she strangled the poor baby that many families would have gladly given a loving home.

    bitch had google so there is not one excuse that is acceptable to me.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

  9. #24
    Elite Member HelpMeRhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,869

    Default

    Wow, that is beyond comprehension.
    Not to mention the alternatives these days, you can't tell me this girl hasn't seen 16 and Pregnant and seen her options. Give it up for adoption, if you missed the abortion cut of date. Jesus.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

  10. #25
    Elite Member Kathie_Moffett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    just another freak in the freak kingdom
    Posts
    6,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it's not about 'knowing' that killing a baby is wrong. a 9 year-old knows it's wrong too, that's no reason to try a child as an adult. you can't pick and choose and say that if a kid has something bad done to them, they're children, but if they're the ones who commit a crime, all of a sudden they're monsters who deserve to be punished like adults.
    yes, you're probably right. but having something wrong with her doesn't make her an adult. it does not justify trying her as one.
    But, there are huge differences developmentally between a nine year old and a fourteen year old. If this girl were nine, I'd totally agree with only charging her as a juvenile.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    There are monsters who exist that just happen to be short on years. I don't know if this particular girl is one or not...This is just one of those things where everyone's milage may vary. But I do know that for myself, there are some "children" out there that committed awful crimes that I damn sure would not want living anywhere near me or my family that were out simply because they aged out of incarceration.
    Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer, iirc, allegedly took their first victims at about 14. Ed Kemper was 15 when he shot his grandparents. We can't know if this girl is just of very low intelligence, mentally ill, a sociopath--we don't have enough info. BUT, your point's a good one. Just because she is young, does not mean she can't be very dangerous.

    I can think of a couple of other cases off the top of my head--a girl who killed another girl for kicks and readily admitted it when she was caught. I can't recall her name, dammit, but her confession was awful. She was around 14. And here in the Bay Area, a 14 year old boy...I put the article below. It's still not clear WTF was up with him. He was tried as an adult and found guilty, though sentencing isn't until 11/30.

    Jury deliberating in Vacaville teen attack | Crime | Vacaville News


    "FAIRFIELD, Calif. (AP) - Jury deliberations are under way in the trial of a Vacaville teenager charged with raping and stabbing a 13-year-old girl and attacking her toddler brother.
    According to The Reporter of Vacaville, a Solano County jury took up the case against 16-year-old Alexander Cervantes on Thursday after attorneys made their closing remarks. Authorities say Cervantes broke into the girl's home in 2010, raped her and stabbed her dozens of times and stabbed her 18-month-old brother before falling asleep.
    He allegedly told the girl he was taking revenge because her brother had snitched on someone.
    Cervantes, who was charged as an adult, is facing counts including attempted murder, torture and aggravated mayhem. He has pleaded not guilty.
    His attorney, Erin Kirkpatrick, told jurors Cervantes was drunk and rambling."

    Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    I am wondering if she was raped by a family member or friend of the family. Either she is a sociopath or had so much anger at whoever impregnated her that she was mentally able to strangle her own child with them.
    ^^This. So much rage in cold-bloodedly strangling her own baby. Not the same as the scared, confused teens who toss their kid in a garbage can--that's heartbreaking but not this degree of sick, nowhere near.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    This is so damn disturbing to me! I have a 14 year old and I just can't imagine my child having a child, killing a child or being tried as an adult. There is something WRONG here. I can't wrap my head around this kind of thing. I remember being 14 and I just NEVER would have done something like this. I would have been terrified to tell my parents that I was pregnant but I think it'd be even harder to look in the mirror and know that I was a murderer! This is one jury I could NOT ever be on! I just can't with this one.
    I'm with you. I think back on myself at that age, my friends--even the creepiest kid at our school--I can't imagine any of us doing anything like this.

    Since they cannot change the juvenile sentencing laws quickly enough and there are strong indicators that this girl isn't your typical confused teen, I tentatively vote for trying her as an adult but giving the most lenient sentence possible and making special efforts to care for and rehabilitate her.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

  11. #26
    Super Moderator Tati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Your Pocket
    Posts
    17,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Trying kids as adults is ridiculous. If they don't like the amount of time juveniles can be locked up for then maybe that's the law they should be changing.
    That's kind of how I feel. What's the point of trying a kid as an adult exactly? They're obviously a kid as determined by the law in all other respects. When they should be released, and who they should be locked up with (maybe don't put sociopathic killers together with an eleven-year-old who nicked some bling, you know) are the real issues, right? So why not make allowances within those laws to permit some juveniles to be given longer sentences or be housed separately from non-violent offenders, yet not simply treated as adults with no consideration for their actual age and no eye toward rehabilitation. If this girl will forever be a menace to society, shouldn't there be a way to handle that without just "trying her as an adult?"

    I guess I just bristle a bit at work-arounds and exceptions forming an integral part of the legal system. I'd rather see a comprehensive, codified way of trying and sentencing all juveniles.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

    - Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: November 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
  2. 16 year old sentenced to life for killing imposed Pimp
    By Popsicle in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: November 4th, 2009, 03:43 PM
  3. Replies: 98
    Last Post: May 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
  4. Pro-life group slams Krispy Kreme for baby-killing treats
    By Fluffy in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: January 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: May 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •