Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Search Father's Workplace for Remains of Missing North Carolina Girl

Default Police Search Father's Workplace for Remains of Missing North Carolina Girl

AP
    An undated photo provided by the Federal Bureau of Investigation shows Zahra Clare Baker, a hearing-impaired Carolina girl with a prosthetic leg, who is mssing.

Authorities in North Carolina scoured the property of a tree service company on Wednesday, focusing on a wood chipper and mulch pile in their search for the remains of missing 10-year-old Zahra Clare Baker.
    A team of searchers and police dogs spent hours investigating the Burke County, N.C., property where the girl's father, Adam Baker, is employed, the Charlotte Observer reports.
    Police charged the girl's stepmother, Elisa Baker, with felony obstruction of justice on Tuesday after she admitted to writing a fake ransom note found on the windshield of one of the family's vehicles. Authorities believe that the note, which was addressed to Adam Baker's boss and which demanded $1 million, was designed to throw investigators off track in their search for Zahra.
    Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins said Elisa Baker confessed under police interrogation to writing the note and requested an attorney. She appeared in court on Wednesday and showed no emotion as the judge told her she could be sentenced to up to 30 months in prison if convicted of felony obstruction of justice. Judge Gregory Hayes said a review of the family's finances show Baker is eligible for a court-appointed attorney and assigned her a lawyer.
    Adkins said that Baker's confession prompted authorities to shift their search from a missing person's case to a "homicide investigation."

K-9 units detected the scent of human remains on two vehicles at the Bakers' home in Hickory, N.C., on Monday, a police search warrant revealed. Residents reportedly told the Charlotte Observer that search dogs also picked up on the scent of blood at Real Tree Services in Morganton, N.C., where Adam Baker works as a laborer.
    Investigators used backhoes and other equipment late Tuesday to search the company's property, focusing on a 50-foot-wide pile of mulch, according to the newspaper.
    The News Herald in Morganton also reports that investigators are examining an industrial wood chipper belonging to the company's owner, Fred Causby, who reportedly hired Baker about six months ago.
    The tree service company is approximately 19 miles from the Bakers' home.
    Adkins told reporters at a news conference Tuesday that he "cannot confirm with any confidence how long Zahra has been missing."
    "We can't confirm anyone has seen Zahra within the past month," Adkins said. "Without this information, we cannot positively select the area to search for her."
    Zahra, described by neighbors as an upbeat girl who was battling bone cancer that left her with a prosthetic leg and hearing aids, was reported missing Saturday afternoon -- nearly 12 hours after Elisa Baker said she last saw her sleeping in her room.
    Elisa Baker was already being detained after she was arrested Sunday on a dozen charges unrelated to Zahra's disappearance -- including communicating threats, writing worthless checks, larceny and driving with a revoked license.
    Adam Baker said during a morning TV interview on Monday that it was possible his wife could be involved in the disappearance, which was reported after a fire in the home's yard.
    "I hate to say it but I don’t feel good about this," said a family friend who spoke to FoxNews.com on condition of anonymity. "I really think Elisa had something to do with it."
    Elisa Baker told her husband she last saw Zahra sleeping in her bed at 2:30 a.m. Saturday, about 2 1/2 hours before the fire was reported. Adam Baker said he was panicked after the fire, but didn't immediately check on his daughter.
    Zahra, who is home-schooled, had two hearing aids, both of which were left at the house. Police said the girl also has a prosthetic leg from the knee down.
    Family friends described the girl as shy but constantly smiling, in spite of her health problems.
    To relatives and former neighbors, Elisa Baker had a short fuse. In interviews and court documents, they portrayed her as nasty-tempered and willing to use a gun or her fists to settle an argument and say her disabled stepdaughter usually bore the brunt of her rage.
    "She was always beating her," former neighbor Karen Yount said Tuesday. "I told her to stop but she wouldn't listen to anyone. That poor girl."
    Kayla Rotenberry, a former neighbor, said she and her fiance were good friends with the Bakers when they lived in the nearby town of Sawmills, and saw Zahra often. About six months ago she noticed that Elisa Baker's hand was swollen, Rotenberry said.
    "She told me that she was trying to spank Zahra, but hit her on her prosthetic leg," she said. "When Adam asked her about the injury, she said she fell and hurt her hand. She didn't want him to know. She knew he would be mad."
    Another former neighbor, Brandy Stapleton, 22, of Lenoir, said that Elisa Baker told her the same story about how she injured her hand. "She wasn't the person everyone thought she was."
    Adam Baker is from Australia, and met his current wife over the Internet, Stapleton said. Zahra's mother lives outside the U.S.

Police Search Father's Workplace for Remains of Missing North Carolina Girl - FoxNews.com
    So sad, so sick

ETA, not sure why the pic isnt showing up

Poor little lamb. I hope they both hang.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

a wood chipper? how 'fargo' of him.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I hope they both hang.
    even if only one of them was involved?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Fucked up and horrifying. Poor kid....been through so much by the age of 10, its hard to even wrap my head around it.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    even if only one of them was involved?
    In an ideal world both of them would hang.

A fake ransom note. Hmm that sounds familiar.
    Poor girl though.

I was wondering if anyone would post about this. It's been a huge topic at work all week. I actually work in the area where Zahra lived (Hickory) and there are so many people that I work with that knew her in one way or another (used to go to school with one's kid, went to speech class with another co-worker's kid, went to church with, etc.). Everyone has said she was just the sweetest girl. The whole case is just too incredibly sad, especially given all that she had already overcome in her life. I get so furious at all of the relatives and neighbors doing interviews about how horribly Zahra was treated and I wonder if any of them ever reported her parents to the authorities. Right now it's sounding as if both parents were involved based on all of the news reports. Even though it happens so many times everyday, it still blows my mind what people can do to children.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Did the bio father marry this child abuser so that he could get residency in the U.S.???

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I wonder if any of them ever reported her parents to the authorities.
    apparently, at least one did.

"Other neighbors also feared for the girl's safety. "There were warning signs along the way, but you never want to think the worst," said former neighbor Kayla Rotenberry.
    Her fiance, Bobby Green, said an investigator from the Department of Social Services visited the Bakers' house a few months ago: "I saw him when he knocked on their door. He said they were looking into whether the girl was being beaten."
    The agency didn't return a phone message Tuesday."source

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

There's a video on one of the news web sites (WRAL, I think) of the girl. Very cute, sweet kid. The stepmom looks like a deranged refugee from a John Waters film.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    apparently, at least one did.

"Other neighbors also feared for the girl's safety. "There were warning signs along the way, but you never want to think the worst," said former neighbor Kayla Rotenberry.
    Her fiance, Bobby Green, said an investigator from the Department of Social Services visited the Bakers' house a few months ago: "I saw him when he knocked on their door. He said they were looking into whether the girl was being beaten."
    The agency didn't return a phone message Tuesday."source
    That's good to know. At least one person said something.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    There's a video on one of the news web sites (WRAL, I think) of the girl. Very cute, sweet kid. The stepmom looks like a deranged refugee from a John Waters film.
    Just saw some pics on Jane Velez-Mitchell (yea yea, I know) and the little girl looks like a nice, adorable normal girl! And the Step Mom---yea, notsomuch.
    Apparently the girl was homeschooled (not sure why though, maybe personal choice by the fam?) but yet....some relatives say they actually EXPECTED something like this to happen. They expected it. Nice....

“The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

i watched the cbs news do an interview with two cousins. they both talked about what a horrible homelife this child had, how she was locked away almost all of the time etc. apparently the little girl spent weekends at the cousins house.

the interviewer asked if anyone ever called the cops or CPS, and she said the dad did. my question is if you knew how horrible it was at that childs house, why didn't you idiot cousins report it?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information