Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By reallyimreal
  • 1 Post By Icepik
  • 3 Post By yanna

Thread: Child watches dad kill mom, then himself

Default Child watches dad kill mom, then himself

February 28, 2006 -- A brilliant MIT math whiz, sparring with his estranged wife over money, shot her to death at her luxury Long Island home yesterday - as the couple's terrified 6-year-old son told a 911 operator: "Daddy shot Mommy!"

The panicked child then locked himself in the bathroom and heard another gunshot - from his suicidal dad blowing his brains out - before cops rescued him.

The bloody horror unfolded at around 1:50 p.m. in the pricey apartment complex at 60 Pinnacle Drive in Port Jefferson, Suffolk County cops said.

Police said the crazed 36-year-old dad - who sources and co-workers identified as Alexander Astashkevich - pulled up to the curb of the complex in a black 2000 Mercedes and loudly knocked on the door of his wife's apartment, armed with a 12-gauge shotgun.

"The mother was shot immediately as she opened the front door," said Detective Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick.

Astashkevich then stepped over the lifeless body of his 31-year-old wife, Olga, and went upstairs to see their son, Arthur, a source said.

Although the boy was a flight up, authorities said he "might have seen his mom killed," one source said.

The dad then "sat the boy down, and told him that he was going to kill himself," Fitzpatrick said.

The father also confessed to the child that he had just killed the mother, police said.

At some point, Astashkevich, a Russian immigrant, picked up a cordless phone, dialed 911 "and tried to tell them he killed his wife," a source said. But he wound up handing the phone to his son.

"The dispatcher told the boy 'to get in the bathroom immediately,' which he did," Fitzpatrick said.

From inside the locked bathroom, Arthur reported the slaying of his mom to the operator, who kept the boy on the line. The child then heard another shot - and told the operator he thought his dad had just killed himself.

When cops arrived, they saw the mother's bloody body sprawled in the ground-floor vestibule.

Suffolk Emergency Services officers stormed the house, where they found Astashkevich dead inside an upstairs bathroom, the shotgun by his side.

He had shot himself once in the head, sources said.

Arthur was found still locked in the other bathroom.

The child later told cops that his parents, who had split about a year ago, fought a lot.

One neighbor said cops pulled up to the home only the night before, apparently on a domestic-dispute call.

"I saw her [that same] night taking out her trash," the resident said of Olga. "She looked really paranoid, afraid."

Astashkevich's boss, hedge-fund mogul Jim Simons, said his employee "was quite well off" but added, "I think money was an issue between them.

"He was estranged from his wife, and obviously under some kind of terrible strain," said Simons, the head of Renaissance Technologies, where Astashkevich worked as a researcher.

"He seemed like a good father ... He seemed like a loving parent. But obviously, something terrible happened."

Simons said Astashkevich received his Ph.D. in mathematics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Astashkevich lived in a one-bedroom, luxury pad near his family so that he could still see his son, one neighbor said.

"He was a very friendly guy. He didn't seem like he had any problems," the neighbor said.

Police said they were not officially releasing names until they notified the couple's next of kin, who are believed to be in Russia.
    I know that there are countless stories like this one all over the country. Am I the only one that thinks that this is the most selfish act on earth. The dad feels that he is so important that his wife should not live without him but, to hell with his son he can grow up an orphan. This may sound harsh but, he should have just killed his son also. Can you imagine the kind of trauma this kid is gonna have. People like this do not deserve funerals. They should be thrown in the ocean where sharks can devour their body.

Default Re: Child watch dad kill mom, then himself

^Respectfully disagree, I don't think he should have killed his son, I'm glad he didn't. I can only pray there are other close family members who will care for this child, I am sure he has a long struggle ahead.

If this was a money issue, he should have just killed himself. Why the Ex? So sad.
    Let's AV DIS!

Default Re: Child watch dad kill mom, then himself

Even sadder is that if he doesn't have any close relatives he will end up in the NYC Social Service system. No kid should be in that system

Bronze Member

Default Things didn't turn out so bad.

First of all, I would like to say that I was adopted by a nice family, and living happily (in NYC). After you are six, you don't remember everything clearly, but one thing I do remember was that I *DID NOT* see my father kill my mother. When she screamed, I ran upstairs, then I came downstairs where my father gave me the phone (a motorola, i think i still have it somewhere). Also, when you are six, you don't think especially about what happened, you think more about who is going to clean the footprint that the police left when they kicked down the bathroom door. "This may sound harsh but, he should have just killed his son also." -- That does sound a bit harsh, especially considering that I AM the son. What happened slightly afterward (slightly detailed): I was brought out onto the balcony wrapped in a blanket due to the tear-gas. Then the rest is a blur, but I was moved to some family, then another family took me, and here I am! Thanks, all, for reading this: -- The Person Who Used To Be Arthur Astashkevich (but now i go by a different name)
    McJag, Icepik, yanna and 4 others like this.

I'm glad things worked out for you.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; April 20th, 2013 at 10:08 AM.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Rule #1 of Spousal Fight Club: Never kill the kids.

Whoa.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by reallyimreal View Post
    First of all, I would like to say that I was adopted by a nice family, and living happily (in NYC). After you are six, you don't remember everything clearly, but one thing I do remember was that I *DID NOT* see my father kill my mother. When she screamed, I ran upstairs, then I came downstairs where my father gave me the phone (a motorola, i think i still have it somewhere). Also, when you are six, you don't think especially about what happened, you think more about who is going to clean the footprint that the police left when they kicked down the bathroom door. "This may sound harsh but, he should have just killed his son also." -- That does sound a bit harsh, especially considering that I AM the son. What happened slightly afterward (slightly detailed): I was brought out onto the balcony wrapped in a blanket due to the tear-gas. Then the rest is a blur, but I was moved to some family, then another family took me, and here I am! Thanks, all, for reading this: -- The Person Who Used To Be Arthur Astashkevich (but now i go by a different name)
    This made me happy to read. I'm so glad things worked out for you.
    dexter7 likes this.

I'm happy things went well with your foster families, kid. Hope you have the best luck in life always, you're owed some seriously good karma.
    greysfang, dexter7 and KrisNine like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Thread Information