Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Bizarre/unsolved mysteries

Default Bizarre/unsolved mysteries

I'm kind of stealing this thread idea from Somethingawful.

I'm talking about stuff like mysterious disappearances, unsolved deaths, and just generally weird shit.

Sure most of the 'unexplained' stuff probably have logical conclusions, but it doesn't make some of them any less creepy.
    Even if the "weird" subject has mundane explanations, I find that some theories that go along with them are the best part.

To start off:
    The Voynich manuscript-
    The Voynich manuscript is a mysterious, undeciphered illustrated book. It is thought to have been written in the 15th or 16th century.[1] The author, script, and language of the manuscript remain unknown.
    Over its recorded existence, the Voynich manuscript has been the object of intense study by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including some top American and British codebreakers of World War II fame (all of whom failed to decrypt any portion of the text). This string of failures has turned the Voynich manuscript into a famous subject of historical cryptology, but it has also given weight to the theory that the book is simply an elaborate hoax—a meaningless sequence of arbitrary symbols.
    The book is named after the Polish-American book dealer Wilfrid M. Voynich, who acquired it in 1912. Currently the Voynich manuscript is stored in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library of Yale University as item "MS 408". The first facsimile edition was published in 2005.[2]
    Voynich manuscript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dyatlov Pass incident-
    The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains. The incident happened on the night of February 2, 1959 on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов).
    Dyatlov Pass incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm also fascinated by the Tara Calico case for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    The Dyatlov Pass incident
    Avalanche followed by hypothermia and the resultant confusion in the survivors which is why their bodies were found separately. Really, I love a good mystery, but this makes more sense than UFOs/government experiments etc.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Elite Member

Madeliene McCann. I still say it was the parents, Mama in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Avalanche followed by hypothermia and the resultant confusion in the survivors which is why their bodies were found separately. Really, I love a good mystery, but this makes more sensethan UFOs/government experiments etc.
    With stuff like the Dyatlov Pass accident, the theories (even when they are implausible) are the best part and make it even creepier/bizarre.

Another thing that I love reading about is the Mothman. Is it real? Probably not, but still creepy.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Madeliene McCann. I still say it was the parents, Mama in particular.
    Me too. They gave the kid too much sedative before they went out partying, she either died of an overdose or choked on her own vomit, they found her dead and realised the tox reports at the postmortem would implicate them so they disposed of the body (doctors know exactly how to do that) and cooked up the "abduction" story. They were helped by the totally incompetant Portuguese police and their joke of an investigation and the media who swallowed their story hook line and sinker.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

With stuff like the Dyatlov Pass accident, the theories (even when they are implausible) are the best part and make it even creepier/bizarre.

Another thing that I love reading about is the Mothman. Is it real? Probably not, but still creepy.
    What are the theories, do you have links? I am absolutely fascinated by that Dyatlov Pass Incident you posted. The tent was torn from the inside, like they were in a panic and ran out, they were not wearing proper clothes for the weather, and they suffered massive internal injuries and with no soft tissue damage? Its just so bizarre! Especially the part where it was ruled that they couldn't have died from human hands because the injuries were way too severe, like being hit by a car. And it sounds as if the three died violent deaths, and the others just wandered around, even trying to return to the camp until they died from hyperthermia. What the hell happened out there?
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    What are the theories, do you have links? I am absolutely fascinated by that Dyatlov Pass Incident you posted. The tent was torn from the inside, like they were in a panic and ran out, they were not wearing proper clothes for the weather, and they suffered massive internal injuries and with no soft tissue damage? Its just so bizarre! Especially the part where it was ruled that they couldn't have died from human hands because the injuries were way too severe, like being hit by a car. And it sounds as if the three died violent deaths, and the others just wandered around, even trying to return to the camp until they died from hyperthermia. What the hell happened out there?
    One of the biggest theories was radioactivity or other military testing. Like Twitchy said, it was probably hypothermia but it's still weird. And I think the whole secrecy of the Soviet government at the time contributes to a lot of the theories.
    Here's a blog piece for you Jan:
    The Dyatlov Pass Accident « Doug’s Darkworld
    Another one:
    Dyatlov Pass - Bizarre Incident: February 1959, Russia’s Ural Mountains, 9 Skiers Found Dead | Suite101.com

The Taman Shud Case is another interesting read:
    Taman Shud Case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What a great thread. Until tonight, I have never heard of the Dyatlov Pass incident. Very mysterious indeed. I definitely want to read more into it.

One of the biggest theories was radioactivity or other military testing. Like Twitchy said, it was probably hypothermia but it's still weird. And I think the whole secrecy of the Soviet government at the time contributes to a lot of the theories.
    Here's a blog piece for you Jan:
    The Dyatlov Pass Accident « Doug’s Darkworld
    Another one:
    Dyatlov Pass - Bizarre Incident: February 1959, Russia’s Ural Mountains, 9 Skiers Found Dead | Suite101.com

The Taman Shud Case is another interesting read:
    Taman Shud Case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for the additional info! I just read the first blog and I'm not sure I agree with his analysis - they could have been in the advanced stagesof hyperthermia and paradoxial undressing - it would explain the undressing and the running around. But I'm not sure I buy "running into rocks" as an explanation for their internal injuries, especially since there was no external tissue damage. I'm almost inclined to think there was some sort of avalanche or the like. What a fascinating case though, what a terrible thing for those nine to go through. The tongue missing is an odd one too - its true that could be due to scavengers, but that was the only thing that was missing? Its all just odd.

Thanks for the AWESOME thread! I'm totally into these things as well, I'm going to post some things that I've found weird too...

Hit By Ban Bus!

JonBenet Ramsey. I want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    My gut tells me her mom had something to do with it.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    My gut tells me her mom had something to do with it.
    She knew what happened to that baby, but there was a whole helluva lot more to it.

The disappearance/murder of Kurt Sova in 1981 still gives me the chills, I wish I knew what happened. I found this on youtube:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkmrrsm-ws[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aadIYs_9p4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5iKGZdzKU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Me too. They gave the kid too much sedative before they went out partying, she either died of an overdose or choked on her own vomit, they found her dead and realised the tox reports at the postmortem would implicate them so they disposed of the body (doctors know exactly how to do that) and cooked up the "abduction" story. They were helped by the totally incompetant Portuguese police and their joke of an investigation and the media who swallowed their story hook line and sinker.
    This make so much sense exept for the disposing of the body. How did they do it with no one seeing? And where did they put it? Maybe in the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Me too! And we will most likely never know.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

There was another British kid that went missing on holiday in 1991, 21 month old Ben Needham. He just vanished without a trace. Disappearance of Ben Needham
    As with Madeleine and Jon Benet I'd love to know what really happened. Interesting thread by the way! I'm going to go and read some of the other links posted now.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information