Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police body slam wrong man into wall, leave him in a coma

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Police body slam wrong man into wall, leave him in a coma

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9llvTQn8v-c[/YOUTUBE]

The actions of a sheriff's deputy who slammed a mistakenly identified man into a wall during a May 10 foot chase in Belltown inflicting life-threatening injuries do not appear to be criminal, the King County Sheriff's Office said Thursday.

A lawyer for the man's family immediately questioned the finding, saying the deputy dealt a "bone-crushing" hit that has left Christopher Harris, a 29-year-old restaurant worker, in critical condition in a coma.

Harris, of Edmonds, suffered severe head injuries when he was knocked into the outside wall of a Belltown theater at the end of the brief chase after he was mistakenly tied to an assault.

"We look at this as a tragic accident; nothing more than that," sheriff's spokesman Sgt. John Urquhart said at a sidewalk news briefing where the chase began.

Urquhart said an investigation by the Sheriff's Office found that the deputy, Matthew Paul, 26, gave Harris a "hard shove" that apparently fell within legal boundaries. But the case will be forwarded to the King County Prosecutor's Office to determine whether criminal charges are warranted, he said.

An internal investigation will determine whether Paul violated department policies, said Urquhart, who also released three surveillance videos of the incident.

Sim Osborn, a Seattle attorney hired by Harris' family, disputed Urquhart's characterization of the takedown of Harris.

"It was a bone-crushing hit," Osborn said, likening it to a linebacker's hit on a football field. He called the deputy's action "horribly brutal" at best and potentially a criminal assault.

Paul slammed Harris on his left side, one video shows, driving his head into a turquoise-colored tile wall on the east side of the Cinerama Theater at Fourth Avenue and Lenora Street. Harris has not regained consciousness since the incident, according to his stepfather, Todd Keeling, of Mountlake Terrace.

Urquhart said the deputy, who was joined in the chase by another deputy, acted within normal rules for a foot pursuit. He said Harris appeared to be "running out of steam" when the takedown occurred.

Osborn said the deputies should have considered other actions, such as using a Taser on Harris, pulling a weapon on him or holding him at bay.

The deputy who slammed Harris outweighed him by more than 100 pounds and knocked Harris about eight feet, Osborn said.

Osborn said there is "conflicting testimony" over whether the deputies identified themselves at the outset but added that both were wearing dark tactical uniforms in dark conditions.

Osborn said two witnesses said they only heard the deputies yell toward the end of the chase "stop him" and "he stole something," to which Harris replied, "I don't have anything. I didn't take anything."

The incident occurred while the deputies, who were assigned to Metro Transit, were working the graveyard shift patrolling downtown bus routes.

At about 1 a.m., they received a report of a disturbance at a bar at Second Avenue and Bell Street involving broken bottles and a fight, Urquhart said.

Shortly after, a bloodied man ran into a nearby convenience store, chased by other men with blood on them, Urquhart said. The chase then continued outside the store.

Two women in the area told the deputies they thought a stabbing or robbery had occurred, Urquhart said.

One of the women led the deputies to Blanchard Street, between Second and Third avenues, and when Harris appeared across the street, she identified him as being involved in the assault, Urquhart said.

The deputies reported that Harris had a look in his eyes as if he were going to run, and then pulled a hood up over his head and took off, Urquhart said.

The deputies shouted for him to stop, identifying themselves as police, Urquhart said.

Detectives later determined Harris was not part of the bar altercation; those involved were never found.

Urquhart said investigators don't know why Harris ran, but they noted that four witnesses, including the woman who misidentified Harris, said they heard the deputies repeatedly yell "stop, police" or "police officers."

"Sometimes bad things happen to good people," Urquhart said. "That's what happened in this case."

Harris, who grew up in Seattle and Olympia and attended the Seattle Art Institute, was married about a year ago, according to his stepfather. Harris worked as a server at Arnies Restaurant in Edmonds.

Shortly after the incident, Harris was listed in critical condition with skull fractures at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. His condition improved to serious soon after but worsened to critical earlier this week.

Urquhart said that on the night of the incident, Harris got off work about 10 p.m. and had a drink at Arnies. Harris then went to another bar nearby, had a couple of drinks and then paid someone $60 in gas money to drive him to Belltown, where he departed on his own, Urquhart said.

Investigators found a screwdriver in his pocket, and his wallet was missing but was later found.

A surveillance camera outside the Cinerama captured video footage of Harris being slammed into the wall. Paul, immediately after bringing Harris down, pulled Harris by his arm and onto his stomach. Urquhart said Paul stopped handcuffing Harris when he saw the extent of the injuries, and medics were called.

The Cinerama video was released Thursday, along with video footage from surveillance cameras at the convenience store and the Jewish Federation building at Third Avenue and Lenora Street. The camera at the Jewish Federation captured part of the chase.

Paul was placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation. He could be returned to duty at any time, Urquhart said.

Sheriff Sue Rahr has asked Seattle police to review the investigation once it is completed to ensure it was thorough and without bias.Local News | Sheriff rules deputy's "hard shove" in chase wasn't criminal | Seattle Times Newspaper

That was no hard shove, my friends. That was like a linebacker on the playing field. I don't know why the guy didn't stop but jesus, that is horrible. What is wrong with cops these days?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"We look at this as a tragic accident; nothing more than that,"
    I wonder if the guy that's in a coma had slammed the cop's head into a wall would it be called a 'tragic accident?' Oh that's right, it'd be called assault with an attempted murder charge thrown in.

It's incredible but there is no responsibility taken. At the very least the cop should own up and say he went beyond the use of reasonable force. How can anyone respect cops if they show themselves to be men or women of character?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I was just watching this video not too long ago. It is truly shocking, it's not like the guy was running like a madman or provocating.

That cop just ran into him with full force and shoved him against a wall.

Unfortunately, those that would automatically side with the cops in these cases cannot make the rationale that the guy deserved it as he was innocent.

Sickening to say the least.

I saw the video first. I was pissed. THEN I heard more details on the news, like that the victim was positively identified by two eyewitnesses, when the police ran after him, they kept yelling "stop!" and he kept running, that he was approaching a heavily populated area and the eyewitnesses said he was armed. This was tragic, make no doubt about it, but I don't think the police were out to just rough up an innocent person. They honestly thought, quite rationally because of eyewitnesses, that this was a violent armed man who just attacked someone previously and was running towards a group of people. Its easy to say "overreaction, much?" but hindsight is everything. IF this guy was a violent thug who was about to attack someone else, people would say "why didn't the cops shoot him before he hurt someone else?" Its all very fucked up. And if I was told that so-and-so was armed and violent, and I give chase and the guy takes off, then yes, most likely I would come to the assumption that this guy IS the guy who the eyewitnesses claimed. Its sad because this whole incident was easily avoidable if the guy had just not taken off running. That said, its hard to gauge what was happening towards the end of the chase - was the guy giving up? Because if he was there was no need to bodyslam him. Its hard to make a judgment call on such a small clip of video.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I agree that they probably needed to stop him but the fact that they hit him so bloody hard--that boy FLEW--scares the crap out of me. That is unreasonable force, end of story. They thought he STOLE something, not murdered or raped someone.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I agree that they probably needed to stop him but the fact that they hit him so bloody hard--that boy FLEW--scares the crap out of me. That is unreasonable force, end of story. They thought he STOLE something, not murdered or raped someone.
    I understand the hard and under appreciated work our nation's police do.

But this video turns my stomach. Most take downs from the police I see on videos seems to be they would tackle with their own body, or take them down to cuff them. I have never seen where a cop with full force just shoved a guy into a wall like that.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    No, from what I understood he was identified as being involved in a violent assault that had just occurred by the two female eyewitnesses, and were told that he was probably armed with a knife. The females pointed him out, the cops told him to stop, he started running and they gave chase. Either way, it shows how eyewitness testimony isn't always credible - I bet those two women feel incredibly guilty now.

Its weird though that he started running. His friend said he was "slightly drunk and seemed disoriented." Even at my drunkest I wouldn't run from a cop, though - I mean, being drunk isn't a crime. I wonder what was going on in his head.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Elite Member

Just another days work for the police brutality squad.

January, the voice of reason.

When a cop tells you to STOP, you STOP. If the kid had nothing to hide then why was he running?

I agree stupid for running but shit that was a hard hit. I've never seen a cop take someone down like that(and I watch a lot of COPS lol)
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    January, the voice of reason.

When a cop tells you to STOP, you STOP. If the kid had nothing to hide then why was he running?

He probably had a roach in his pocket or some dumb shit...
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^He should have learned to swallow that shit.

Seattle Cops are bastards. Either overly violent or do nothing and let violence happen before their eyes.

It's not as if that guy was running speed away from them. Yes, he had been identified as being part of an altercation. Were those who identified him totally sober? Even so, I don't think the police have the right to slam someone that hard. Especially considering the officer was so much larger than the person they were chasing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information