Thread: CNN 'Hardball' anchor says rampaging mob of gays + liberals torched Alabama churches

Thumbs down CNN 'Hardball' anchor says rampaging mob of gays + liberals torched Alabama churches

Chris Matthews says gays and liberals may have torched churches in Alabama
    by John in DC - 2/03/2006 08:13:00 PM

On his TV show tonight Chris Matthews suggested, without any proof at all, that maybe liberals or gays were responsible for a series of terrible church burnings last night in central Alabama. Here's what Matthews had to say about it tonight on Hardball:

MATTHEWS: Is there anything in the papers down there where a Baptist church has taken a position on some social issue, gay marriage, something that's hot, where that would have aroused somebody?

ATF AGENT CAVANAUGH: I haven't seen that Chris, but it's very viable because we had an arson at a Unitarian church in rural Virginia, back in the summer, and it was right after the church at a national level had embraced gay members. There was an attack on this church in Staunton (?), Virginia, so things like that can happen.

MATTHEWS: That's why I'm thinking like that because the more liberal churches would drive some people on the right crazy and maybe a more liberal person, who's gay for example, would feel that they've been terrorized by the beliefs of another church too. We don't know.

No, we don't know, Chris, so why suddenly suggest that liberals might be the felons?

First, note how, out of nowhere, Matthews starts surmising that maybe a liberal, a gay liberal in fact, might have burned down these churches. Matthews had no facts suggesting this. And in fact, the history of politically-motivated terrorism and murder in the United States shows a pattern of right-wing extremists executing abortion providers, burning down health clinics, and murdering gays, blacks, and Jews among others. There is no history whatsoever of liberals and/or gays systematically engaging in violence against conservatives or their churches.

Also, note how the federal agent, in response to Matthews' question, explains that yes, in fact, a more liberal church was burned, possibly by conservatives upset with its liberal ideology (judging the anti-gay slurs written on the church, read the article), the agent says. Matthews' response? He ignores the agent's point that in fact a liberal church was attacked by conservative extremists, and turns the question around again to suggest that liberals, and especially a gay liberal, might have set the fire.

By the way, does Matthews focus on whether a Klansman might have burned the church - i.e., someone who actually has a record of attacking churches. No. Chris Matthews and MSNBC again label liberals as terrorists.

UPDATE: I didn't realize that Matthews also went down this path at the beginning of the Hardball broadcast as well. Here's what he asked the pastor of one of the churches.

MATTHEWS: Tell me about what you think may have, is there any hint as to what's behind this, all these churches getting torched last night?... Is there any issue within the Baptist affiliation, any issues that have caused a lot of anger, any reason why a person would not like the positions taken by your churches?

In court, Chris, we call that leading the witness.

Pathetic.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: CNN 'Hardball' anchor says rampaging mob of gays + liberals torched Alabama churches

Chris Matthews is a fucking moron.

That theory must have drifted through the draftier portions of his brain and he went with it, because no one has mentioned that except him.

By the way, does Matthews focus on whether a Klansman might have burned the church - i.e., someone who actually has a record of attacking churches. No.
    That theory is probably also incorrect, because churches with predominately white members were burned too.

Default Re: CNN 'Hardball' anchor says rampaging mob of gays + liberals torched Alabama churches

Probably, but would make more sense than a hip and trendy mob of faggy liberals traipsing around Alabama, setting fire to churches with lightly scented decorative torches.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

hip and trendy mob of faggy liberals traipsing around Alabama
    Alibied!

I think I'm friends with all of them and they were all out drinking last night.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I am speechless at the stupidity.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Could Matthews be anymore unqualified for a reporter? Maybe he should quit his job and work for Pat Robertson in the "God hates liberals" department, that would be more suited to his brain-dead way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    Chris Matthews is a fucking moron.

That theory must have drifted through the draftier portions of his brain and he went with it, because no one has mentioned that except him.

That theory is probably also incorrect, because churches with predominately white members were burned too.
    But I don't think Klan hate is just a black white thing. If the church isn't coming right out and teaching that being gay, gay marriage, and voting *liberal* is wrong, then I can see how the Klan might have a beef with that. It's disturbing to me how many churches literally have preachers that do this and people not only seem to sit there and take it, but eat it up! I think these are people who are too embarassed by their bigotry to reveal it openly because they know the rest of general society (which is getting increasingly more progressive) will look down on them. So they feel relieved to have a safe haven like their church where they can hear their pastor telling them what they *know* but what is slowly becoming less and less generally accepted as the last generation or two of bigots is growing old and dying off. So every once in awhile when you get a church with a younger or more progressive pastor who talks a sentence or two about tolerance (bad bad word for the anti-liberal crowd), love, and acceptance of those who may be living outside your faith, I wouldn't doubt at all that this might make his church a target for the hate mongers who want to make an example out of them. I'm telling you, it's not just about black and white anymore. And homosexuality is the *abberration* du jour for these fuckers right now.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

There must be some course in journalism schools these days where they teach never letting the facts interfere with your story.

No, just bad journalists who think they, and their opinions/agenda, are more important than the story.

I just sent an email to Hardball.

"Chris Matthews is a stupid douche if he thinks gays and liberals burned the churches in Alabama. Please tell him I said so!"

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy
    There must be some course in journalism schools these days where they teach never letting the facts interfere with your story.

Thread Information