Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man sought after gun and hatchet attack at gay bar

Exclamation Man sought after gun and hatchet attack at gay bar

Um, yikes. Methinks someone has issues with his sexuality..

CNN) -- Police on Thursday are seeking a man in connection with gun and hatchet attacks overnight at a gay bar in New Bedford, Massachusetts. Three people were wounded.

Authorities described suspect Jacob D. Robida, 18, of New Bedford as violent, armed and dangerous. He is wanted on suspicion of three counts of attempted murder and hate crimes, police said.

One bar patron suffered deep cuts on his head, and two others were shot in the torso, police said.

A bartender, who asked only to be identified as Phillip, told CNN he had a bad feeling when a man entered the Puzzles Lounge after 11:30 p.m. ET Wednesday and asked if it were a gay bar. (Watch the bartender describe how an armed man attacked patrons -- 7:17)

"At that time I was a little nervous as to why he was asking," the bartender said. "I don't know if it's because he felt out of place if he wasn't gay, or if it's because he wanted to actually find out if he's in the right place."

He said the man was dressed in a hooded, black sweat shirt, with the hood over his face, and baggy jeans. "He just had a stone cold look on his face ... just emotionless," Phillip said.

Recalling he checked the man's ID before serving him a drink, Phillip said the identification indicated he was 23, with an October 19, 1982, birth date.

After finishing the drink and ordering a second one, Philip said, the man moved to the back of the bar, watching a game of pool briefly before taking out a hatchet -- a small ax the size of a hammer, Phillip said. "He started swinging the hatchet on top of this customer's head," he said.

The bartender said he then called 911, trying to keep the phone from view, and urged patrons out the door.

Meanwhile, the attacker struck a second patron with the hatchet, pulled out a gun and shot the first victim in the face and the second twice in the head, Phillip said. A third person also was shot in the abdomen.

Phillip said he came face to face with the attacker at the bar door and the man pointed a gun at his face and pulled the trigger but nothing happened.

A helicopter transported one of the victims to a hospital in Boston, about 50 miles north of New Bedford, and the other two went to St. Luke's Hospital in New Bedford. Police said they are in serious condition.

The Massachusetts Gay and Lesbian Political Caucus issued a statement in response to the attack. "Unfortunately, the gay community is used to hate crimes," the statement said.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Man sought after gun and hatchet attack at gay bar

That's just sick.

It happens.. most gay bashers are closeted homos themselves, acting out their denial.

It's kinda sad.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It shouldn't happen though. I just don't understand it. People have problems, and it is so sad, but that doesn't rationalize it in the least bit for me. People like that should be jailed for life.

*nods* well, that's what happens when environmental programming screws you up.. this fits in the with self-loathing thing in the psychological BrokeBack mountain thread..but this is the extreme end of that self loathing :/

It's just such a tragedy. People make so much of a deal of like, "I don't want my children thinking homosexuality is normal!" but is IS normal! I mean, it's as much a choice as being born with red hair or green eyes is a choice. I mean, I know I'm like preaching to the choir here, but I just get so angry and upset whenever I see anything like this. People always ask if I am gay because I am very much involved in those kinds of debates and issues, though I am straight. I mean, it's just like people who were white who helped battle for black civil rights, or people who were not jews helping the jews out during the holocaust. It has to be done!

^^ and we thank you for your support, trust me.. we need all the allies we can get, especially thoughtful people who aren't afraid to speak up.

Plus, all the fabulous protest signs we make are heavy, what with all the glitter and rhinestones. We need help holding them up

It's Pride Week on my campus next week, and I am SO going to all the events that don't clash with my schedule. Lol.

Such sad news. I hope this person gets the psychological help that they so desperately need.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Yeah, I mean i don't care who YOU guys sleep with

... unless it's juicy gossip.

........ and not some kind of furry woodland creature...

.............or children, like MJ....

.......................that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    Such sad news. I hope this person gets the psychological help that they so desperately need.
    fuck that! throw him to the wolves!

I heard about this myself and it kind of depressed me a little bit. I just don't understand why someone would go out of their way to act out in such a fucked up manner. If the guy had sexuality issues, then fine, that's still no exucse (hell this is no excuse) to go and slice and shoot people in a bar.

Makes me mad to think that people out there will do some fucked up things to keep others from being themselves

If you remember, New Bedford, MA, was also where the gang rape happened that the film Accused with Jodie Foster was about. (Another example of the useless trivia I can command without effort, but can't remember what appointments I have tomorrow without looking!).

Remind me to avoid the place.

Quote Originally Posted by GawsipRawksz
    fuck that! throw him to the wolves!

that's what i say too. he doesn't deserve to be helped.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Here's an excerpt from an article about the incident in USA Today. The whole thing is fucked up. People gather in a bar, don't bother anyone and this happens?

Puzzles is popular with the local gay community and is listed on several websites offering resources to gays and lesbians. About 150 people, including Mayor Scott Lang, attended a candlelight vigil outside the bar, which opened as usual Thursday night.

"I basically nicknamed this the gay version of Cheers," said Michael Lobo, 28, a bar regular.

Police said they rarely need to respond to reports of trouble there. "If all the bars in the city were that quiet, we'd be great," Capt. Richard Spirlet said.

Some bar patrons said there has been occasional low-level harrassment over the years, but no major violence.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information