Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman: Dad was the Zodiac killer, and I can prove it

Default Woman: Dad was the Zodiac killer, and I can prove it

(Jeezus, everyone and their cousins want their 15 minutes of fame...)

Woman: Dad was the Zodiac, and I can prove it

Deborah Perez (left) says she was the daughter of the Zodiac killer. She and her attorney Kevin McLean (right) held a news conference in front of the Chronicle building in San Francisco on Wednesday. (Liz Hafalia / The Chronicle)

(04-29) 15:15 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- With a flourish of bravado and drama, an Orange County woman proclaimed to a raucous crowd of reporters and self-proclaimed sleuths today that her late father was the Zodiac killer who terrorized the Bay Area 40 years ago.
    Deborah Perez, a 47-year-old real estate agent in Orange County, said she accompanied her father on at least two of the Zodiac slayings, wrote the killer's letter to San Francisco attorney Melvin Belli, and has a pair of glasses she said her father snatched as a trophy from his last known victim.
    Her dad's name: Guy Ward Hendrickson, a carpenter living in Southern California in 1968 and 1969, when the Zodiac killed his five known victims before seemingly dropping from the face of the earth. Hendrickson has been dead for 26 years, Perez said.
    "I was a child and just thought I was helping my father," Perez said at a press conference outside The Chronicle's Mission Street headquarters, where about 30 reporters and 20 Zodiac buffs competed to make their questions heard over the roar of each other and city traffic.
    "Guilty! Guilty!" some of the buffs screamed as Perez spoke. "Bull—! Bull—!" screamed another.
    One of the most compelling pieces of evidence Perez mentioned was a pair of brown, horn-rimmed eyeglasses she says her father took from Paul Stine, a cabbie shot on Oct. 11, 1969, in San Francisco. She said she is turning them over to the San Francisco Police Department, and that if the prescription fits Stine's or is linked to the Zodiac in any other way - such as through a DNA match - it will help prove her case. According to accounts of the crime, Stine's body was missing his eyeglasses when he was found.
    She also said she hopes authorities can find DNA on the stamps of letters that the Zodiac sent and match them to herself or her father.
    Of particular interest will be the letter written in December 1969 to Belli, who died in 1996. The letter, filled with erratic punctuation and misspellings, begins, "Dear Melvin This is the Zodiac speaking I wish you a happy Christmass. ... please help me."
    Perez said she wrote the letter at age 7 in an effort to get help for her father.
    Investigators working the Zodiac case said they weren't aware of anything they've received from Perez, but they will look into her story.
    "I have not heard of her before today," said San Francisco police Sgt. Lyn Tomioka, a spokeswoman for the department. "We definitely will look into any statements made to us. This is an open investigation."
    Privately, some investigators wondered if the timing of Perez's announcement had something to do with a documentary on her story that she is hoping to finish soon.
    Perez's attorneys, however, said she came forward to help solve the crimes and to refute the claims of others, including one from a man in Pollock Pines (El Dorado County) who says his late stepfather was the Zodiac.
    Perez said her father took her along on murder jaunts because they were unusually close. She was a young girl, unaware of exactly what her dad was allegedly doing, she said. Her father explained to her that the gunshots she heard as she sat in the family car nearby were "just firecrackers."
    Her father died at age 68 in 1983, she said. Her mother and five siblings had no idea of what was going on, she said - and indeed she said she had no inkling that Hendrickson might be the Zodiac until she saw a composite sketch of the killer on the TV show "America's Most Wanted" in August 2007.
    "I recognized the individual as my father," she said. "I researched the Zodiac killer, and to my surprise I found cards and letters that were in police custody that were written by my father or myself." Perez did not provide a photo of her father for comparison purposes.
    Perez said it never occurred to her to call police until she saw the TV show because she didn't pay attention to crime issues and had not heard of the Zodiac before then. She did not elaborate why she didn't report the Belli letter before - but one of her attorneys mentioned that she has "recovered memories" about the times, and that may have had something to do with it.
    At one point, Perez's lips quivered, and she paused, appearing to be filled with emotion. One of her attorneys, San Francisco lawyer Kevin McLean - a former associate of the flamboyant Belli - laid a hand on her arm and jumped in to say he is convinced the Zodiac mystery is now over.
    As for Hendrickson's motive? "He was nuts," McLean said.
    Perez believes that her father was "a Jekyll and Hyde," McLean said. "She wrote that letter to Melvin Belli to try to get him some help."
    He added, "Melvin Belli is reaching from the grave to solve this crime."
    Regaining her composure, Perez said her father "told me he was sick, and all I wanted to do was help my dad. He told me he killed many people."
    McLean said he was skeptical when Perez approached him two years ago to help her prove her story. But after having Perez examined by a forensics psychologist, and having a handwriting analysis done of writings by her, her father and the Zodiac, "I became convinced there is something here," he said.
    That hundreds of other people, including at least a dozen each year who contact The Chronicle, also claim to know who the Zodiac was seemed not to deter Perez or the attorney in the slightest.
    "Our evidence is good," McLean said.

Perez's attorneys, however, said she came forward to help solve the crimes
    Bullshit. She wants to get rich.

There has already been another guy claiming HIS dad was the Zodiac, and the FBI is supposedly still investigating. If I get the urge to put down my wineglass and find a link to his website, I'll post it. He sounded a lot more convincing than this woman.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

This might be interesting. There's also a guy who claimed his dad did the black dahlia thing and he published a book. Who fucking knows. Maybe if this guy was so jekyll/hydey then he could have multiple families!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Not something I would brag about.

Anyway, this should be easy to prove.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Hit By Ban Bus!

No way was she with him at the Stine murder scene. Two cops saw the probable killer a couple of blocks from the scene but didn't stop him (an erroneous dispatch had gone out that the suspect was black) He was alone.

"Perez said her father "told me he was sick, and all I wanted to do was help my dad. He told me he killed many people."

Most people that are mental don't going around saying they are sick.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Fascinating. Found while googling:

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Zodiac, Jack the Ripper, Aleister Crowley, and L. Ron Hubbard

Some of you were amused, and some annoyed, when I dared to discuss the odd suggestion that L. Ron Hubbard masterminded the Zodiac murders.

Years ago, I heard a couple of would-be Zodiac sleuths kick around that notion; it's the sort of wild idea usually discussed only after the second round of brewskis. Perhaps immortalizing the theory in cyber-ink was a naughty decision. But you folks should know my sense of fun by now.

Steve Huff's favored theory -- the theory which perhaps now deserves pride of place -- holds that the Zodiac crimes were committed by Joseph Chandler -- or rather, by the mystery man who moved to Ohio and took that name. Huff now addresses Xymphora's suggestion that Chandler may also have been responsible for another series of unsolved murders in Ohio, between 1979 and 1982. (Xymphora has a few more words on the subject today.)

Count me as a very tentative Chandlerite. Even so, a sense of mischief compels me to add a few more observations on the Hubbard theory:

1. Yes, Hubbard was fairly old at the time of the killing spree. I never said Hubbard committed the actual murders. He had associates. Years ago, Harry Martin (a Northern California newsman with an affection for oddities) published a fairly persuasive series devoted to the proposition that the Zodiac killings were a team effort -- an idea which may explain some of the conflicting testimony.

2. The ominous mystery man at Darlene Ferrin's painting party -- the one who (like Hubbard) loved strawberry shortcake -- was (like Hubbard) too old to fit later descriptions of the killer. Yet Ferrin's associates believed him to be linked with the slaying. Xymphora, who questions whether author Robert Graysmith concocted the party (or at least the details concerning same), links to a page which confirms that witness Pam Hukaby did attend this event and did see a mystery man. If this older man helped to engineer Ferrin's fate, then we have further reason to believe that the Zodiac crimes had more than one author.

3. Huff reminds us that "Zodiac was thought to have been former navy, possibly a native Californian, and to have a background in engineering." All of which fits Hubbard fairly well. He (badly) commanded three ships during World War II, and remained obsessed with naval matters thereafter. He was not born in California, but he spent many years in this state. He took courses in engineering, although he was a poor student.

4. Huff also argues that Zodiac was an "anglophile." This also fits Hubbard, who spent time in England.

5. Zodiac's letters had occult overtones. I need not recount here the famed story of Hubbard's interactions with Jack Parsons.

6. Zodiac quoted from Gilbert and Sullivan. This page (written, I am sorry to report, by a die-hard Hubbardian) offers a brief first-hand account of Hubbard attending a G&S performance in England. (As a side note, this page offers a hilarious anti-Hubbardian G&S parody.)

7. (Okay, this one is really stretching it, but what the hell...in for a penny, in for a pound...) Huff, like other Zodiac buffs, argues that Zodiac modeled himself on Jack the Ripper. Hubbard was fascinated by the works of Aleister Crowley; in a recorded speech, Hubbard once referred to Crowley as "my old friend," even though the two never actually met. Crowley once wrote an article which claimed to offer an occultist solution to the Ripper murders. The article was not formally published, but copies of the manuscript circulated in "fringe" circles, and Hubbard may well have stumbled across it. (The story of Crowley's involvement with the Ripper saga represents another long, strange trip, which we must save for another time.)

Best to stop here -- any further, and I might actually talk myself into this idea. For now, I offer it simply as mordant entertainment.

Cannonfire

The Zodiac killer was never penitent in his letters. I don't believe her one smidge.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

That photo of the attorney just about sums this all up!

The woman and baby car incident is widely believed to not been the Zodiac now, but he may have just taken credit where it was appropriate.

I don't see what this woman has to gain from it but seek blackmail?

I dont believe this for a second
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such — I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
    That photo of the attorney just about sums this all up!

The woman and baby car incident is widely believed to not been the Zodiac now, but he may have just taken credit where it was appropriate.

I don't see what this woman has to gain from it but seek blackmail?
    At least one horrible lifetime network movie starring Tori Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    This might be interesting. There's also a guy who claimed his dad did the black dahlia thing and he published a book. Who fucking knows. Maybe if this guy was so jekyll/hydey then he could have multiple families!
    John Gilmour - he was a junior policeman at the time and his dad has photos of Elizabeth Short, and was a surgeon... He's written a number of books about LA in his youth, they're facinating.

Who knows about this woman, I find it strange that she went to a lawyer first -and what's this about recovered memories? Because they've been oh so truthful in the past, haven't they???
    Free Charmed.

I have a recovered memory which I quickly forgot because it was much too traumatic but not before I got a book deal...

i've started 'repressed false memory therapy'...

i'll get something on my parents if it kills me
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information