Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State to seek death penalty in Casey Anthony case

Default State to seek death penalty in Casey Anthony case

State to seek death penalty in Casey Anthony case

The State Attorney's Office confirmed Monday it will seek the death penalty against Casey Anthony in the death of her daughter Caylee Marie.

Amy L. Edwards and Sarah Lundy | Sentinel Staff Writers 5:36 PM EDT, April 13, 2009 The State Attorney's Office will seek the death penalty against Casey Anthony.

This reverses an earlier decision made by prosecutors.

In a notice filed this afternoon, prosecutors stated that additional information has become available since they filed their initial waiver of intent to seek the death penalty on Dec. 5. The filing states that "sufficient aggravating circumstances exist to justify the imposition of the Death Penalty..."

The remains of Casey Anthony's daughter Caylee Marie were found a week after prosecutors made that earlier filing.

A State Attorney's Office spokeswoman would not comment on their notice of intent filed today.

Marti Mackenzie, spokeswoman for Anthony's defense lawyer, just told the Orlando Sentinel: "This is not a death penalty case. We will do whatever is necessary to defend Casey Anthony from the state trying to take her life. We already have death qualified defense lawyers on our team and are prepared for a vigorous defense."

Terence Lenamon, a Miami attorney who was once part of Anthony's defense team, gave prosecutors a report in November outlining why the mother should not receive the death penalty.

"I'm greatly disappointed in the State Attorney's Office has decided to take this route," he said Monday after hearing the news.

He said this may be a sign that there is a potential weakness in the state's case. Prosecutors may want "death-qualified jurors" -- jurors who are willing to sentence someone to death. Those jurors are more opt to convict defendants, Lenamon said.

"It changes the dynamics of everything," he said.

In addition, it's unclear whether Lenamon will rejoin the defense team. He said he spoke with Baez today, and Baez is reviewing a list of death-penalty-qualified attorneys.

Baez will have to add such a co-counsel if he wishes to continue as lead attorney, should the case indeed becomes a death penalty case.

Meanwhile, legal experts say this latest development in the Anthony case is very unusual.

Bob Jarvis, who teaches legal ethics and law and popular culture at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, said there are two reasons why prosecutors would put the death penalty back on the table.

One of those reasons -- and what he thinks is the most likely in this case -- is that prosecutors are frustrated because Anthony isn't accepting a plea.

Jarvis said if Anthony is convicted, a jury will likely not sentence her to death.

"We don't execute women in Florida. Juries find it very difficult to send young women to death row," he said.

Casey Anthony case: State to seek death penalty against Casey Anthony -- newsday.com
    Last edited by NicoleWasHere; April 13th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Casey Anthony should rot in hell for what she did to poor Caylee.

Florida executes women if the women did something heinous enough. Aileen Wournos was executed. I think Casey was even worse. She killed her own kid and then went out and partied without a care in the world.

I'd vote to convict with the death penalty.

I think the death penalty is too nice and too swift for Casey Anthony. I think she needs to be locked up in a solitary confinement cell forever with OJ, one leather glove, a set of golf clubs, a large serrated knife and a continuous recording of William Hung's Greatest Hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    Casey Anthony should rot in hell for what she did to poor Caylee.
    Oh there is no question as to whether she will or not.

Bitch's flesh is going to melt right off the bone and just fall to the floor in a big, sludgy puddle.

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I think the death penalty is too nice and too swift for Casey Anthony. I think she needs to be locked up in a solitary confinement cell forever with OJ, one leather glove, a set of golf clubs, a large serrated knife and a continuous recording of William Hung's Greatest Hits.
    Fuck no. Let her loose in general population, and she'd last a day before her ass was shanked. Prisoners don't take too kindly to kiddie murderers.

I think she should get life imprisonment, not the death penalty.

Why? Do you think a child killing sociopathic monster really has a place on this earth? You really want her to just keep eating up tax payers money, and have random material possessions and money sent to her, as a gift, from people she's never even met? You think that she doesn't deserve a fate just as bad as her daughter got?

I think in a lot of cases life imprisonment is a tougher punishment than death. As long as life means life. I just tend to think like that more these days. She will have an awful time in prison, and being only in her 20s, that is going to be one long tough time.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I honestly don't think this child killing cow has the right to live.

Pretty much what it cracks down to is there are supporters of the death penalty and those who don't believe in it...

It's all based on personal opinion.

No one is ever going to agree on it.

It's a very touchy subject.

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Why? Do you think a child killing sociopathic monster really has a place on this earth? You really want her to just keep eating up tax payers money, and have random material possessions and money sent to her, as a gift, from people she's never even met? You think that she doesn't deserve a fate just as bad as her daughter got?
    Just so you know.....the death penalty process costs more than it does to keep a person in in jail for life.

And the "fate" you speak of with the death penalty will be no where near what her daughter suffered. I am sure her daughter probably suffered, whereas, lethal injection does not hurt. Hell, they even give the prisoner a sedative to calm them down before the actual execution.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I think in a lot of cases life imprisonment is a tougher punishment than death. As long as life means life. I just tend to think like that more these days. She will have an awful time in prison, and being only in her 20s, that is going to be one long tough time.
    See, I agree here. That is harder to deal with , especially a little spoiled narcissist like her, than getting a needle in the arm and being put out of her misery.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

This case still makes me cry. It's just so unbelievably heinous. I can't bare it.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I would go for life-with restrictions. No TV-ever. No books. No seeing family. No calling family.
    But that won't happen here-too many people would decide she had repented,etc. So death.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information