Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 10 year old Colorado girl vanishes on way to school

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    A million years ago, Oprah recommended a book called The Gift of Fear written by some FBI guy. Its an excellent read, mostly about when that little voice inside says somethings wrong to go with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    ^that sounds interesting, I'll check it out.
    The book probably should be recommended reading, but word of warning - you'll have to read about other women's rape experiences (I'm just warning you because I wish someone had warned me). That scene where she's walking silently down the hallway just behind her rapist's back because that small voice inside her head said "move" still sticks in my mind.

Thankyou for the pointers, Mohandas. The advice that you should never go to a secondary place - even if your abductor is threatening you with a knife or gun - is another memo I still remember from that Oprah episode. You're probably gonna die if you go along with being taken to a different place, so you just as well should risk it to run or fight at the first stand.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    The book probably should be recommended reading, but word of warning - you'll have to read about other women's rape experiences (I'm just warning you because I wish someone had warned me). That scene where she's walking silently down the hallway just behind her rapist's back because that small voice inside her head said "move" still sticks in my mind.

Thankyou for the pointers, Mohandas. The advice that you should never go to a secondary place - even if your abductor is threatening you with a knife or gun - is another memo I still remember from that Oprah episode. You're probably gonna die if you go along with being taken to a different place, so you just as well should risk it to run or fight at the first stand.
    I ordered it off of Amazon about 5 minutes ago, just after I posted. My wife and I have been talking about the book for years without ever actually reading it. With shipping and handling, it was only about $12.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

Those all sound like good points to me Mohandas and WCG. I've heard about not going anywhere at gunpoint. It seems like you'd really have to have your wits about you to do that, but if that's what's going to save your life it's a great thing to keep in mind.

I wish I'd thought of the baseball cap one more than a few times.

Thanks for the head's up, katscorp, sometimes the books that set out to help are truly painful to read.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

This poor girl. I'm so sad for her and her family. I also think about her little friends and how their lives are forever changed at such a young age. No one, especially a little kid, should have to go through this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If they hadn't she'd be the only kid in the world who didn't get the warnings.

I saw a tv program a few years back, the hosts collaborated with the parents, and laid out well thought out plans to get teens to fall for being lured into danger at a mall and exposing themselves to abduction. Almost all of the kids fell for the various scenarios. What I remember most was all the parents freaking out over how they had always taught their kids to be wary of strangers, and how could they fall for these scenes.
    I remember Oprah did a show with kids and set them up in a park with the parents sitting far away and an actor approaching the child alone asking for help finding a puppy. Every, single child went. Every last one of them. It was heartbreaking because the parents drilled it in their kids head to not go with strangers and they all did. You can see why, these people don't look like monsters, just like regular people with a big smile and a convincing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    And the people capable of kidnapping and murder are designed to be manipulative. They're cold readers. They keep talking til they find the weakness. And as for the kids, I think sometimes they think it can't be happening to them, that this person in front of them is really not going to harm them, that they're overreacting.
    It happens to adults too.

We do what we can to try to be safe and smart, but things can happen anyway.
    I think both of these are so true. Most of us really don't think bad things are going to happen to us. This is especially true for kids. As adults, we are so afraid of insulting someone or not being polite, that we don't always use our best judgement or listen to that little voice telling us something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    they did this to some kids on the today show and i think natalie morales' son was included in the group and she was freaking out because he actually fell for it after all she'd talked to him about.

i don't have kids but i'd hammer this into their heads and maybe tattoo it on the inside of their eyelids.
    Maybe this is the show I'm thinking about. It was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    A million years ago, Oprah recommended a book called The Gift of Fear written by some FBI guy. Its an excellent read, mostly about when that little voice inside says somethings wrong to go with it.
    I think this was the guy that said we don't listen to that little voice because we're so afraid of hurting someone's feelings or being rude.

My father's business partner's parents were both spies (actual former CIA and SOE spies) and the dad would lecture us on 'stay safe' tips when we were younger. Not going with someone holding you at gunpoint was one he mentioned numerous times.

Some of his tips were pretty far out (if you have to ever stab someone- stick them, don't slash them, and make sure to pull the knife out - it does more damage), but some were good. He was quite the character.

He had told me when I first learned to drive to keep a mans baseball cap in the car, so when I drove alone at night I could tuck my hair into it and appear to be a boy.

Another one that I've always remembered is that if your car breaks down on a quiet or wooded road, and you have to pull onto the shoulder don't stay with the car. After you call for help conceal yourself some distance away from the car in the brush. You can see your help when it arrives, but aren't visible to someone looking for helpless stranded prey.
    That is a great safety tip. I always think that you're a sitting duck when that happens. I got a flat when I was about 18. It was about 2 in the morning and I was heading back to the rural 'burbs from Baltimore. I knew how to change a tire, but this was a narrow road, with no shoulder and trees right up to the road. I was so scared and panicking. I wanted to just leave my car and run. A woman pulled up behind me and waited with me while I changed the tire. It was scary.

Dammit! I knew that body would be her. I can't imagine what her family is dealing with, what steps they are retracing, what they are thinking about.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Might have to get that book too.....

My heart breaks for that sweet girl...and her family and as KrisNine said---her little friends. My God, what a terrible thing for that entire community. To do THAT to a 10yr old girl....makes me physically ill.

I have to admit that there are a few things that bother me though. Didn't the Mother say she watched her walk down the street and she made it to the park to meet her friends for school? And the parents were in a custody battle for her....and the way she died, while we don't know exactly what happened to her, but obviously it was very violent, like the perp was seriously angry...I dunno. Not saying the parents were involved, but there are some weird coincidences in my head.

Regardless, hope they catch the scum and kill him/her the same way that poor girl was.

Damn. We always know how these things are going to end, but it's still fucking heartbreaking when it does. My heart goes out to her family. I can't imagine anything worse.

I've had the stranger conversation with my sons. Obviously, my oldest gets it and my middle (no common sense kid) didn't. I told my son, in regard to life in general, you have to go with the feeling in your gut. Even if your brain tries to justify it, if the feeling in your gut tells you it's wrong, it's wrong. That's come in very handy for a recent incident, although he told me after the fact instead of doing something about it right then.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Lynnie, the police ruled out the parents. I think it's an unfortunate coincidence they were in the middle of a custody battle.

If I was this poor girl's mum I think I'd have to kill myself. I genuinely couldn't handle something like this, it's too horrific.

Eh, I really don't place much emphasis on the police saying the parents have been ruled out. It's pretty early in the investigation, and they're under no obligation to let the public know what's really going on. They can't call anyone a "suspect" or even "person of interest" unless/until they have some evidence. I'm sure they're still watching the parents closely.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

My father's business partner's parents were both spies (actual former CIA and SOE spies) and the dad would lecture us on 'stay safe' tips when we were younger. Not going with someone holding you at gunpoint was one he mentioned numerous times.

Some of his tips were pretty far out (if you have to ever stab someone- stick them, don't slash them, and make sure to pull the knife out - it does more damage), but some were good. He was quite the character.

He had told me when I first learned to drive to keep a mans baseball cap in the car, so when I drove alone at night I could tuck my hair into it and appear to be a boy.

Another one that I've always remembered is that if your car breaks down on a quiet or wooded road, and you have to pull onto the shoulder don't stay with the car. After you call for help conceal yourself some distance away from the car in the brush. You can see your help when it arrives, but aren't visible to someone looking for helpless stranded prey.
    I think the last paragraph is good advice, but that scenario would damn sure have an officer draw his weapon if he/she saw someone appearing out of the brush with an abandoned car sitting there.

I bought that book a few years ago ... I couldn't get through it because it scared the shit out of me. I *definitely* have the gift of fear.

My parents were very, very lax with me. I was a latch-key kid starting in 1st grade (and I was a year ahead, so I was only 5). My mom would drop me off at the toy section so she could shop by herself. My parents would leave me in the car all night while they were in a bar until closing. Awful things, and it's made me über protective of my son. We have family that lives a few blocks away and their son is the same age as mine. He shows up at the door at 9:00 in the morning on a weekend and they'd have no idea he was even out of the house. I still get texts from them asking if their kid is here because they can't find him.

I'd be scared if I lived near that town in Colorado. Whoever did this to her was not inexperienced and that's serial killer behavior, so very likely that it will happen again. I think that car in Maine is a coincidence though. No way the timeline adds up and the killer wouldn't bring her all the way back to the west coast to dump her. I don't know why the press keeps reporting about it. Such a devastating story.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Might have to get that book too.....

My heart breaks for that sweet girl...and her family and as KrisNine said---her little friends. My God, what a terrible thing for that entire community. To do THAT to a 10yr old girl....makes me physically ill.

I have to admit that there are a few things that bother me though. Didn't the Mother say she watched her walk down the street and she made it to the park to meet her friends for school? And the parents were in a custody battle for her....and the way she died, while we don't know exactly what happened to her, but obviously it was very violent, like the perp was seriously angry...I dunno. Not saying the parents were involved, but there are some weird coincidences in my head.

Regardless, hope they catch the scum and kill him/her the same way that poor girl was.
    I think (and I could be wrong) that she watched her until she couldn't see her anymore. Like there is a point where she's out of view due to a fence or something. Again, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Lynnie, the police ruled out the parents. I think it's an unfortunate coincidence they were in the middle of a custody battle.

If I was this poor girl's mum I think I'd have to kill myself. I genuinely couldn't handle something like this, it's too horrific.

Sarzy, I was just saying this. Honestly, unless I had other children that I wouldn't want to leave motherless, I wouldn't want to take another breath. I would end my life.
    Sarzy likes this.

This is heartbreaking. I feel for her family.

I grew up in Arvada and still have family there... I used to walk all over the place by myself or with friends. I hope they find the monster soon.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

We just moved from Westminster two years ago when we bought this house. And as far as I'm concerned we're still too damn close to where this monster is operating. I've had several talks with my youngest this past week and pray this predator doesn't like boys.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^^ They usually like one or the other, but not both (especially if it was sexually motivated).

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information