Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 10 year old Colorado girl vanishes on way to school

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I walked by myself to school at age 9-10, about a mile. Through an area with one sidewalk and sparse, swampy woods in Florida. I don't think it was that big of a deal, there were houses and apartments around. I would never blame the mother here.
    We (my siblings and I) walked to school around the same age, over a mile. Our school only provided busing until 2nd grade. Once my sister (older) aged out, we all walked with her. So you had an 8 yr, 7, 6 and 5 all walking a mile to school, alone and we survived. The biggest problem was we froze our asses off in the winter.

Same here - always walked to school. My mom rarely took me or picked me up. I was always taught to never ever take any rides from strangers, that my parents would NEVER send anyone I didn't know to take me anywhere. Nothing ever happened in our neighborhood because it was a really tight group, both kid and parent-wise, and we all looked out for each other. And yeah, there were probably dangers out there too.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

In retrospect, I think my parents were trying to get rid of me when I was a child. They would drop me off at museums in downtown Pittsburgh when I was 10, and then pick me up hours later. Or let me wander blocks and blocks away from my grandmother's place (with my 6-year-old brother) -- to the point where I got so lost I had to have a cab take me back. I still remember it cost $2 with tip.
    Here's what my parents did to me. When we were on vacation, my father was pretty cheap about accommodations. One time we stopped at a motel in the middle of nowhere and my dad and mom locked me out so they could have sex (I realized that as an adult). I played on the motel playground by myself for about an hour, no one else in sight.

Another time we rented a one room cabin with a sleeping porch. I had to sleep on the porch outside all night by myself. My parents were inside with the bed and bath.

Another time we were in Canada at a KOA campground. My dad gave me some money and told me to go get an armload of firewood from the store across the campground. Probably wanted to have sex with my mom then too. Anyone could've grabbed me.

I call it passive neglect. Child abductions have always happened. It goes against a typical good parent's instinct to leave their child alone.

Not commenting on this case, but on my shithead father's neglect and my mother's passive acceptance of it. Ironically, my parents divorced when I was 12. Guess all that sex didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I was always taught to never ever take any rides from strangers, that my parents would NEVER send anyone I didn't know to take me anywhere.
    That reminds me a little of the movie "Changeling" (Jolie and Malkovich) - based on the Chicken Coop murders. The predator's modus operandi was to drive up to some kid walking through town and say that the kid's parents had just been in an accident, and that he was sent to pick the kid up. Because the guy had a kid in the car with him, the targeted kid was more likely to believe him. We've warned our kids the same way, but it has to be said again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    Not commenting on this case, but on my shithead father's neglect and my mother's passive acceptance of it. Ironically, my parents divorced when I was 12. Guess all that sex didn't help.
    That guy must have been a real prizewinner. For the most part, hauling kids and food and provisions out to a hotel or campground is usually a libido killer, especially in the daytime. It isn't usually until they are conked out that it comes back. When we get away by ourselves, though, it's a totally different experience, which I bet it is for most people.

WESTMINSTER, Colo. – Authorities looking for a missing 10-year-old Colorado girl are asking the public for help finding who apparently kidnapped her, a day after a body was found in a park.

Police have yet to link the body found seven miles from Jessica Ridgeway's home to her Oct. 5 disappearance, or even say if it belongs to a child. Jessica disappeared after leaving home to meet friends at a park for her walk to school.
    On Thursday, the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit released a list of changes that a person committing a crime against a child would exhibit. Among them: sudden differences in appearance, missed appointments, being absent from work, or leaving town with no explanation. Police have ruled out Jessica's parents.
    "It could be your boss, it could be your friend, and ultimately it could be your family member," FBI spokesman Dave Joly said. "Bring this information to law enforcement and let us vet that to a close. If that person is not the suspect, `Thank you for your call.' Next lead."

Joly said agents are searching for a man based on statistics for this type of crime.

The latest appeal for help comes as authorities switch from searching for Jessica to finding her abductor. Police looked for clues in a reported sighting of a car with Colorado plates in Maine and a Wyoming abduction. The FBI said Thursday that abduction was unrelated.

Police spokesman Trevor Materasso said the body discovered late Wednesday "is not intact," and that has slowed the work of identification. Materasso said no other information would be released until Friday, and he left a brief midday news conference without answering any questions.

The body was found at Pattridge Park in the Denver suburb of Arvada, which is near Westminster, where Jessica disappeared.

In tweets, Westminster police said investigators had worked overnight to identify the body. Officers searched more of the park Thursday as well as areas closer to Jessica's home. Police said photo radar vans -- normally used to detect and photograph speeding vehicles -- were being used to monitor some streets around the girl's house.

Police have ruled out her parents -- Sarah Ridgeway, who lives in Colorado, and Jeremiah Bryant, who lives in Missouri -- as suspects and have said they believe Jessica was kidnapped by an "unknown suspect." Jessica's mother last saw her daughter walking to school. The girl never arrived, setting off a frantic search by hundreds of law enforcement officials and residents.

Aurelio Florez, who has lived in Jessica's neighborhood for six years, said it was shocking that Jessica could have vanished during a two-block walk to a park where she usually met friends before continuing on to school.
    "You can see the park from her front door," he said.

Fliers about the fifth-grader were posted on nearly every house in her neighborhood of modest, two-story homes with single-car garages. Purple ribbons, a symbol of hope for her return, were tied around trees.
    It was a lively area where children played outdoors, said another neighbor, Luis Pena, but since Jessica disappeared, parents are keeping their children inside and people look at each other with suspicion. "Nobody trusts anybody anymore," he said.

The only real clue police have revealed in Jessica's disappearance is the discovery over the weekend of a backpack and water bottle that she had with her when she disappeared. Police won't discuss what was found in the bag or test results on it. The items were found in the town of Superior, some six miles from Jessica's home.

Westminster police repeatedly have urged the public to study the details of Jessica's face in a photo -- a small, gap-toothed grin, a slight bruise on her nose -- and a short home video, hoping someone may have seen something.
    Additional police were sent to Jessica's school, said Lynn Setzer, spokeswoman for Jeffco Public Schools. The district has its own security officers at other middle schools and high schools.

Steve Saunders, a spokesman for nearby Adams County schools, said the district is trying to strike a balance between reassuring students and their parents that they are safe, while encouraging them to be vigilant.
    Saunders said the district has security officers at all middle schools and high schools, but not elementary schools. He said the district will seek more help if authorities believe it is warranted.

Read more: Poor condition of body found in search for missing Colorado 10-year-old slows identification process | Fox News

It irks me that the national news keeps saying she was found in a park. I know they have to use a word that means something to everybody, but there is a distinct difference between a park and an open space like where the body was found here in Colorado.

A park is a place that is well-kept and is geared for activities, either picnics or sports fields, or playgrounds, etc. The open spaces here are left wild and natural. The only maintenance that is done is to keep the heaviest brush off the paths. That body was effectively dumped in the middle of the woods, the only difference is we use our open spaces a LOT. During all daylight hours there will be someone biking or hiking or running their dogs off-leash, or if it has a creek or resevoir in it, kayaking or fishing or whatever. \rant
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Here's what my parents did to me. When we were on vacation, my father was pretty cheap about accommodations. One time we stopped at a motel in the middle of nowhere and my dad and mom locked me out so they could have sex (I realized that as an adult). I played on the motel playground by myself for about an hour, no one else in sight.

Another time we rented a one room cabin with a sleeping porch. I had to sleep on the porch outside all night by myself. My parents were inside with the bed and bath.

Another time we were in Canada at a KOA campground. My dad gave me some money and told me to go get an armload of firewood from the store across the campground. Probably wanted to have sex with my mom then too. Anyone could've grabbed me.

I call it passive neglect. Child abductions have always happened. It goes against a typical good parent's instinct to leave their child alone.

That's appalling I'm sorry your parents did that to you.

Depending on your age, this wasn't necessarily that unusual. For us, if it was late 70's/early 80's, it wasn't uncommon to go off by yourself or be sent off to run an errand. By the mid 80's, in Iowa, kidnappings really started to be noticed after the Johnny Gosch/Eugene Martin abductions. In Jr High, if I didn't bum a ride off someone's parents, I either had to walk home 1.9 miles (free busing came if you were 2 miles away.) or take the City Bus. If I walked, it was an hour, if I waited for the bus, it was still an hour. I was 12. And there weren't cell phones back then. They only way my mom would know if I didn't make it home was when she got home from work at 5pm. No way I could do that my 12 year old. It would scare the crap out of me.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    It irks me that the national news keeps saying she was found in a park. I know they have to use a word that means something to everybody, but there is a distinct difference between a park and an open space like where the body was found here in Colorado.
    Maybe I read it wrong but I thought they said they found the unidentified body in an open space miles away but that she disappeared on her way to meet her friends at a park 2 blocks from her house.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

That is correct. She was found in an open space 7 miles away, but she was walking to the park 2 blocks from her house. They just keep saying her body was found in a park when it wasn't.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gotcha. We have a pretty wide definition of "park" here too but in general it's a suburban green patch with gardens, walks and kids' playground equipment, not a 5,000 hectare forest.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Depending on your age, this wasn't necessarily that unusual. For us, if it was late 70's/early 80's, it wasn't uncommon to go off by yourself or be sent off to run an errand. By the mid 80's, in Iowa, kidnappings really started to be noticed after the Johnny Gosch/Eugene Martin abductions. In Jr High, if I didn't bum a ride off someone's parents, I either had to walk home 1.9 miles (free busing came if you were 2 miles away.) or take the City Bus. If I walked, it was an hour, if I waited for the bus, it was still an hour. I was 12. And there weren't cell phones back then. They only way my mom would know if I didn't make it home was when she got home from work at 5pm. No way I could do that my 12 year old. It would scare the crap out of me.

Same situation here in southern Iowa, but we live in a pretty small town. There were only school buses for the country kids, and no city buses since the town is just a tad over 10,000. If you lived in town, your parents took you to school or you walked. Heck,...around age 11 or so, I can remember going with friends on bikes on Saturdays and summers, and being gone from 10 a.m. until dark. My parents would have had no clue where to even begin looking for me. The Gosch/Martin kidnappings were the first I can remember as a kid that happened in our state, and that sort of woke us all up. There were national news of kidnappings on tv, like John Walsh's boy, but no one thought that could ever happen around here. Once the Gosch/Martin events happened, things starting changing fast.

I was still hoping, but the DNA is in and it is Jessica.

Officials: Body is that of missing Westminster child Jessica Ridgeway
    POSTED: 10/12/2012 03:18:23 PM MDT
    UPDATED: 10/12/2012 04:24:47 PM MDTBy Yesenia Robles
    The Denver Post

WESTMINSTER — State and local law enforcement officials told an afternoon media briefing that the body found in Arvada has been positively identified as Jessica Ridgeway, the 10-year-old girl missing from Westminster.

On Thursday Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso said the body found Wednesday was not intact, and that was making it difficult to identify it. Officials had been waiting on the results of DNA tests.

Westminster Police Chief Lee Birk said he had "a great deal of sorrow" in his heart.

"There is a predator at large in our community," he said, adding that investigators are putting all efforts into finding the killer.

Read more: Officials: Body is that of missing Westminster child Jessica Ridgeway - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz297uYbtlk

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Depending on your age, this wasn't necessarily that unusual. For us, if it was late 70's/early 80's, it wasn't uncommon to go off by yourself or be sent off to run an errand.
    That was true for me, too. If you read the details of some child abductions or missing persons cases from before the mid-80s, a lot of them feature really young kids walking alone or going places by themselves. It would definitely raise eyebrows today, and makes you think "what the fuck were the parents thinking to let their 9 year old walk 2 miles to the arcade," but back then until child abductions really started getting media attention, it didn't occur to people that there were monsters out there looking for opportunities.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm trying not to lose my shit the way you guys have seen me do in the past; y'all know my "kill 'em all" belief about child molesters.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I was still hoping, but the DNA is in and it is Jessica.

Westminster Police Chief Lee Birk said he had "a great deal of sorrow" in his heart.

"There is a predator at large in our community," he said.

Well, thankfully Police Chief Lee Birk isn't sugar coating the situation. This monster dismembered that helpless angel and dumped her in the wilderness; I'll wager my first morning cup of coffee the bastard did it so the wild animals would carry her away more quickly and help hide the evidence. Catch him. Peel his skin off, slowly. Drop him in a vat of boiling salt water.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information