Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World of Warcraft obsession?

I didn't know World of Warcraft existed until I stumbled upon a SouthPark episode about it. A link to a part of it (with an annoying Nickelback soundtrack) is below:

YouTube - South park- World of Warcraft

The episode revolves around a mysterious WoW player who keeps killing the SouthPark kids' WoW characters almost as soon as they log into the game. It turns out that this mythical WoW stud is a big, bald slob living in his basement with a giant bag of Doritos or something.

The SouthPark kids then create kind of a boiler room where they do nothing but build up their experience points so that they have enough to kill the other guy. They become obese, break out all over with pimples, are exhausted, and have parents show up with bedpans so that they can get the job done.

I played WoW but it never hooked me. I think I got up to level 56 with my rogue before I quit. A guy my husband used to hang out with basically got fired for being late and missing days of work because he was too busy playing WoW. He told everyone that the game was evil and that he was never going to play ever again, but my husband's friend has caught him online logging on to send money to his secret alt.

I used to play Dark Age of Camelot quite a bit. It was a similar sort of game, but it was more of a PvP (player versus player) game than a grouping and raiding game. WoW was too "care bear" and slow paced for me to get addicted. *sniffs in disdain*

my partner is obsessed with it... i seriously want to uninstall it. He works long hours at work, but as soon as he gets home its straight on to WoW.

I do less hours at work so I do all the housework and cooking. All i ask of him is that he feeds the dogs...

I have to nag him to do it and the response is always... "I'll do it after i finish this incident". If he does that when we have kids I will have to kill him!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Meh..I'm 33yo have two kids and I play it. I play it after the kids go to bed. I've always been a gamer, since the Atari days.
    That's the right attitude to take - one of our guild is a very hands-on father and schedules his playing time around bathtimes and bedtimes for his kids. I have cats rather than kids but even so, my guildies are used to me taking time afk to feed them/take care of them, go and see what they have trashed this time etc.

Boogs, one question (and think very carefully about this) - Alliance or Horde? (and no prompting from you, MrsDark!)

To Memebot: What type of WoW server were you on? I am on a PVE dedicated server as I play as much for the social side of things and like to be able to plonk my arse somewhere and chat for a while without getting ganked. I do participate in PVP but only usually for raiding the opposite factions cities and battlegrounds. I did try a PVP server, but only got to about lvl 22 before I moved back to my "home" server, as being flagged all the time was just too stressful for me. if you were on a PVE scrounge a ten day trial code from someone and try a PVP server. Its definately much more intense.

Anyway, say what you will about WoW, it still beats the shit out of Guild Wars.

Elite Member

^I'm Alliance. My two mains are a lvl 80 SV hunter, and a lvl 80 resto/elemental (yes I dual specced) shaman, and my hubby is a lvl 80 prot pally. We're raiders for the most part, though casual ones, because most of our guild is 21+ and married with kids (one of our holy priests is 38 weeks pregnant). I also have a lvl 59 Spriest and a lvl 40 fire mage. Every toon is a Draenei, I like the 1% HR racial passive.

I'm on an RPPvP server, because that's what my hubby started playing on, so I had to go there. I suck at PvP, but I still like it.

I feel half in and half out of this thread, I online game but I dont play wow...but I want to brag! I have the best char of its class on my server of the game I play =] Very proud of my lil girly. She pwns!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I didn't know World of Warcraft existed until I stumbled upon a SouthPark episode about it. A link to a part of it (with an annoying Nickelback soundtrack) is below:

YouTube - South park- World of Warcraft

The episode revolves around a mysterious WoW player who keeps killing the SouthPark kids' WoW characters almost as soon as they log into the game. It turns out that this mythical WoW stud is a big, bald slob living in his basement with a giant bag of Doritos or something.

The SouthPark kids then create kind of a boiler room where they do nothing but build up their experience points so that they have enough to kill the other guy. They become obese, break out all over with pimples, are exhausted, and have parents show up with bedpans so that they can get the job done.
    My husband loves that episode!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    ^I'm Alliance. My two mains are a lvl 80 SV hunter, and a lvl 80 resto/elemental (yes I dual specced) shaman, and my hubby is a lvl 80 prot pally. We're raiders for the most part, though casual ones, because most of our guild is 21+ and married with kids (one of our holy priests is 38 weeks pregnant). I also have a lvl 59 Spriest and a lvl 40 fire mage. Every toon is a Draenei, I like the 1% HR racial passive.

I'm on an RPPvP server, because that's what my hubby started playing on, so I had to go there. I suck at PvP, but I still like it.
    My husband's guild is adults only as well. I'm in it by way of being married to him (to go their forums and such) but I don't raid, only occasionally jump in if they need an extra on groups. We're Horde though

They're big time raiders. If I told you the guild name you'd probably even recognize it. He has certain nights a week he raids. But seeing as how he still manages to work, go to little league games, spend time with me, and get stuff done around the house and yard, I am perfectly happy if he wants to spend a few hours a couple of nights a week glued to his computer chair (it gives me a chance to do the same or whatever else I want to do with or without him).

My only 80 is a druid. But husband has several, two mains. Having the particular guild tag is sometimes a plus, and other times a big ole target for gankers. But always fun. I never (or rarely) bother people who don't bother me first, but I admit it's fun to come back on my 80 and repeatedly stalk and kill someone who killed me first. I haven't even played for weeks, but about to start back.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Kittylady, I was on an RPPvP server. I didn't mind the ganking; it made the world more exciting and dangerous.

I totally get what you are saying about the game being social for you. I felt that way about the people I played with in Dark Age. If half the people from my old gank guild were still playing, I would probably still be playing that game. It's definately the people that make games like these a lot of fun.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm alliance - I have a lvl 80 frost mage, feral druid and holy priest (quite proud her her - solo'd holy all the way to 80). I also have various other lower lvls, such as a MM hunter and a subtlety rogue in their 70's and other classes in the 40's and 50's. Currently levelling a NE fury warrior, with a very vocal determination that I WON'T be a tank. I've not taken advantage of dual spec yet, but am thinking of trying Moonkin with my druid (so many have gone resto that I wouldn't get a place on runs otherwise).

We're social based, mainly, but do raid Naxx and OS a couple of times a week. I'm on a self imposed PVP/Battleground vacation at the moment as I kitted out 3 characters in full battleground gear in just over 3 months and got a little burnt out, although the odd skirmish out at Sentinal Hill or Auberdine still tempts me now and then.

I've been with the same guild since level 1, and as a result I have built up some really good friendships with other "old timers". We notice when one os us is missing for any length of time, and laugh, cry and cheer each other on through real life issues the same as we would for more conventional friendships.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information