Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Windows 10 Updates. GRRR!

czb

if it was me, i would probably wipe the hard disk and reinstall Win7. everything i've heard about Win10 is muy bad.

is there an easy downgrade? i know that there was a really slick upgrade from XP to Win7+ and hopefully there is an analogous downgrade.
    Neptunia likes this.

I was a big XP fan... Two years ago I reluctantly upgraded to win7. I still miss my xp but I understand that some things couldn't run on it anymore. My dad was eager to get win10 and tried to convince me. No way, win10 is the new Vista to me. If my boy starts misbehaving he gets a proper clean: I wipe everything, re-install win7 and all is peachy.

Just wanted to warn anybody who's worried about Windows 10 updates and didn't get that big one a couple weeks ago. I think this is what they put on our computers.

About the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Windows just keeps getting better and better.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is the second big update since the launch of Windows 10. It's full of great new features that customers told us they want. The Windows 10 Anniversary Update will automatically download and install when it becomes available for your device (your device will be running Windows 10 Version 1607 after it's installed).

This is the update from a couple weeks ago because I'm running version 1607 now.

Here's how you can tell which version you're running:

Check for operating system information in Windows 10

• Go to Start , enter About your PC, and then select About your PC.
    • Look under PC for Edition to find out which version and edition of Windows that your PC is running.
    • Look under PC for System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.

Just in case you want to turn off your updates before you're stuck with this one too if you were lucky enough not to get it yet.
    I love the idea that these features customers want, huge load time, browsers crashing, disappearing programs, issues with anti-virus software, changes to your programs without asking, etc.

I'm still looking into changing to Windows 7 but since my laptop came with Windows 10 I'm not sure how to do it, what trouble it might cause or even if I can. I think I can with the desktop though since I foolishly upgraded that to Windows 10 myself.
    sprynkles likes this.

Thanks for that info. Mine says 1607 also. I turned off my laptop a few nights ago. Something I never do. And when I turned it back on the next day, all the fonts on Chrome were huge and weird.

You can buy Windows 7 on Ebay. I know a lot of businesses use it. I may be wrong, but eventually won't they will stop supporting it, like all their other older stuff?

czb

yeah, a lot of businesses use win7 which is why i'm sticking with it (aside from the issues with win10).

i just checked, there is a life cycle sheet for windows products, it looks like win7 will be supported for several more years:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

i usually don't move to a new OS until trusted IT professionals i know suggest it. and everyone i know suggested not moving to win10.

I loved XP and used it for years. When that laptop died I got a new one with Win 8. No start menu, tiles everywhere. I hated it. Had to download a third party start menu. I couldn't wait to upgrade to 10. And it was much better.

czb

i just went to win7 after XP was retired. win8 was another one i was told to stay away from.

I got an HP to replace my 10 year old Dell Dimension w/XP. The HP had Windows 8.1 and without thinking I accepted the Windows 10 upgrade. What the hell - it was for free. But the only web browser I can use without freezing up is Google Chrome. Edge and Firefox won't run properly - they are slow and they freeze. Ironically, when I used Chrome on my old Dell - it would get the BSOD. So far, 10 hasn't been bad, but I wish that I had stayed with 8.1.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Hit By Ban Bus!

Tsk, good thing I didn't update to Win 10.

Windows 10 forces you to update before shutting down. I don't have time for that when I'm on the go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information