Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does your voicemail prompt say?

Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    So a potential employer, or bureaucrat calling you about something significant, would just have to assume that the number indeed belonged to you, despite the fact that people move constantly and often do not forward or update their new contant info.
    Well I guess I'm in the clear: I love my job (it's one of 'Canada's Best 50 Employers') so I don't intend on changing jobs (if I did, I wouldn't be sending out resumés with an old phone number anyway).

And bureaucrat--you mean government? I don't know how often the government calls you (and I wouldn't want to know why), but the only time the government called me was like 10 years ago and it was for something regarding the Canadian Census. So one call from the government in my lifetime doesn't justify it for me leaving my name in my voice mail to people who I've personally given my number to--only I have given my number to you, so we both know/are aware of each other. Besides, I guess I'm not that important enough to call cos the Cdn gov't always just send me correspondance by mail in the brown window envelopes (Revenue Canada, GST refund, etc...).

The messages I get are from my boyfriend, friends and professionals leaving vms to confirm my appointments (e.g. dentist, spa massage, etc...)--they leave a vm for me just fine. One person's justification cannot be ruled for EVERYONE cos my work (thank God) in the travel industry ends when I finish at 5pm. Sharp.

most people will NOT leave a message of any significance unless they know for certain that the person it is intended for lives there.
    Reeeally? I'll leave a message at the correct number you gave me whether it's your voice or none (e.g. music, which I will just press the # key to fast fwd). As long as I know I left a message at the number you gave me (further verified when I dbl check w/ the # on my screen), I did my part.

My girlfriend who lived alone had a, "We're not able to come to the phone now, etc..." which I thought was smart when she 1st told me about it.

Besides, it's just a message. If they want to leave one, leave one, if not, fine *shrugs shoulders*. I don't think I'm a message a away from winning a winfall of money!
    Go Habs Go!!

Lil

We have a ridiculous policy now PB, where through fear of being sued by the new employer if something goes wrong we aren't allowed to give anything other than a neutral reference provided by our HR department saying 'so and so worked for this company in these roles between these dates'. How crap is that for someone who's been a really good employee? Makes it sound like there's something suspicious about them when there isn't.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I've heard that is becoming more and more common, which is insane because employers still demand references. Ultimately, employers will have to stop asking for them if nobody gives them out any more. And then I'll have to find a new way to seek revenge! Just kidding.

Lil

..And that's the thing - WE still ask for references, but we won't give them.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    Well I guess I'm in the clear: I love my job (it's one of 'Canada's Best 50 Employers') so I don't intend on changing jobs (if I did, I wouldn't be sending out resumés with an old phone number anyway).

And bureaucrat--you mean government? I don't know how often the government calls you (and I wouldn't want to know why), but the only time the government called me was like 10 years ago and it was for something regarding the Canadian Census. So one call from the government in my lifetime doesn't justify it for me leaving my name in my voice mail to people who I've personally given my number to--only I have given my number to you, so we both know/are aware of each other. Besides, I guess I'm not that important enough to call cos the Cdn gov't always just send me correspondance by mail in the brown window envelopes (Revenue Canada, GST refund, etc...).

The messages I get are from my boyfriend, friends and professionals leaving vms to confirm my appointments (e.g. dentist, spa massage, etc...)--they leave a vm for me just fine. One person's justification cannot be ruled for EVERYONE cos my work (thank God) in the travel industry ends when I finish at 5pm. Sharp.

Reeeally? I'll leave a message at the correct number you gave me whether it's your voice or none (e.g. music, which I will just press the # key to fast fwd). As long as I know I left a message at the number you gave me (further verified when I dbl check w/ the # on my screen), I did my part.

My girlfriend who lived alone had a, "We're not able to come to the phone now, etc..." which I thought was smart when she 1st told me about it.

Besides, it's just a message. If they want to leave one, leave one, if not, fine *shrugs shoulders*. I don't think I'm a message a away from winning a winfall of money!
    You would be surprised how many people submit resumes with incorrect or out-of-date contact info.

I worked for a "Best 50" company too with a dream job and guess what? They were bought out by another well-known company in Canada and six months later, anybody making a living wage was downsized. I'd been there 14 years. There are no guarantees.

I teach and write on a contract basis so people are often phoning me for all kinds of reasons, and most want to know that they are reaching MY answering service, and not Joe or Jane Blow's. Sometimes the subjects are of a confidential nature, so there is an added emphasis on knowing exactly who is at the other end of the line. I haven't had a job that ended at 5 in my entire life, so I guess that's my tough luck. I've always had to take work home, or I've been working on something on my own.

By bureaucrat, I meant anybody from a school, a doctor's office, your dry cleaner, dentist, whoever. No biggie, but IMO, it is rather weird to phone somebody and get a message in an unfamiliar (or robot) voice who doesn't identify themselves yet expects me to leave a message for them. Same thing when people call me and don't say something like, "Hi, this is Joe." I always identify myself -- it's only polite -- and don't appreciate when people start rambling on and I have no idea who the hell they are!

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but how hard is it to say one's name? It's not like you can see the person.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    You would be surprised how many people submit resumes with incorrect or out-of-date contact info.

I worked for a "Best 50" company too with a dream job and guess what? They were bought out by another well-known company in Canada and six months later, anybody making a living wage was downsized. I'd been there 14 years. There are no guarantees.

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but how hard is it to say one's name? It's not like you can see the person.
    If I do ever quit my job or become laid off, then naturally and obviously I'll leave updated contact information on my resumé. I don't think think I'll be waiting at home that long to have my phone number go out of date!

"How hard is it to say one's name--not like you can see the person"? Seeing vs. not--I don't think that's the point.

You're guessing you're old-fashioned? No offense, I might have to agree with you.
    Go Habs Go!!

This baffles me, that someone would call up someone and not even bother to say who they are. That they would just assume everybody automatically recognizes their voice. I guess if you only talk to two or three people on the phone it might work, but I just can't imagine calling even a close friend up and not saying, Hi, It's PB, How are you?

I guess the alternative is to call and to immediately launch into a conversation and just hope to hell that it's them on the other end, and that they know who I am. Whatever happened to social niceties? If they've become old-fashioned, then I'm guilty as charged.

I mean why wouldn't you say who you are? If you run into somebody in person, you say Hi whoever, don't you? And I assume they know their own name. So why wouldn't you introduce yourself if they can't even see who you are?

I have students calling me occasionally (I'm a tutor marker right now so that's how I do my office hours) and a lot of them just start talking with no preamble or introduction. Not only do I think it's ill-mannered, I genuinely have no idea who they are and that makes it difficult to help them. It's a professional courtesy, IMO.

So tell me -- what is the point of not identifying yourself? I am intrigued because I truly don't get it.

A*O

My sister used to have a craptastic voicemail greeting on her home phone along the lines of (names have been changed to protect the guilty) "Hiyyyyyy!!! You've reached the home of the Simpson family!! We're so sorry but we can't take your call right now but your call is really important to us and we appreciate it so if you want to leave a message for Homer, Marge, Bart, Liza, baby Maggie, Snowball, Santas Little Helper or Grandpa then go right ahead and leave your message and we'll be sure to call you right back just as soon as we possibly can. Take care, be happy and have a nice day!"

I used to leave a message for the dog "Hey [dog's name] you bitch. Will you tell that stupid ditz you live with to call her sister please". My sister used to encourage her kids to deal with the voicemails 'as an educational experience' so I'd take great pleasure in leaving semi-obscene messages for the little fuckers.

So tell me -- what is the point of not identifying yourself? I am intrigued because I truly don't get it.
    Because They are watching us, monitoring our movements and phone calls (you DO know that the CIA listens to ALL phone calls and sells your private information to North Korea don't you??). Plus it's a well known fact that if you give your name over the phone your bank account will be hacked. Also, because the person you are calling is waiting by the phone 24/7 just to hear your voice then of course they will know who you are the moment you start speaking.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

AO's avatar scares the crap out of me...(sorry OT)

I don't get what some of you guys are arguing about... so yea I'll exit this thread...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

This baffles me, that someone would call up someone and not even bother to say who they are. That they would just assume everybody automatically recognizes their voice. I guess if you only talk to two or three people on the phone it might work, but I just can't imagine calling even a close friend up and not saying, Hi, It's PB, How are you?

I guess the alternative is to call and to immediately launch into a conversation and just hope to hell that it's them on the other end, and that they know who I am. Whatever happened to social niceties? If they've become old-fashioned, then I'm guilty as charged.

I mean why wouldn't you say who you are? If you run into somebody in person, you say Hi whoever, don't you? And I assume they know their own name. So why wouldn't you introduce yourself if they can't even see who you are?

I have students calling me occasionally (I'm a tutor marker right now so that's how I do my office hours) and a lot of them just start talking with no preamble or introduction. Not only do I think it's ill-mannered, I genuinely have no idea who they are and that makes it difficult to help them. It's a professional courtesy, IMO.

*chuckling*, PB, I don't know you're rambling about, cos I could have sworn you and I were discussing about leaving vs NOT leaving our personal name on our outgoing message. Ok I guess now you're onto another subject: when people "call up someone and not even bother to say who they are", etc...

That's cool. *walks away still chuckling some more...*
    Go Habs Go!!

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    AO's avatar scares the crap out of me...(sorry OT)
    Whaddayya mean?!?!? That's me.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

*chuckling*, PB, I don't know you're rambling about, cos I could have sworn you and I were discussing about leaving vs NOT leaving our personal name on our outgoing message. Ok I guess now you're onto another subject: when people "call up someone and not even bother to say who they are", etc...

That's cool. *walks away still chuckling some more...*
    *condescension doesn't become you* I'm sorry if you can't follow the conversation/read the thread. I've been talking about the latter with Lil for more than a page now. Oh well.

Don't be so on edge! That's fine if you ran out of reasons when you and I were discussing 'NOT to leave your name on your outgoing message', as you've clearly suddenly switched subjects.

I'll let you get back to posting with Lil regarding "references" even tho Lil hasn't posted for almost an hour! *wink!*
    Go Habs Go!!

Oh, give it up. I have expressed far more reasons than the couple I gave you. Read the damn thread, then get back to me. Or don't. Anybody defending bad manners and obsfucation isn't exactly high on my list of priorities anyway.

I have to deal with enough people like that in my real life.

Don't be so on edge! That's fine if you ran out of reasons when you and I were discussing 'NOT to leave your name on your outgoing message', as you've clearly suddenly switched subjects.

I'll let you get back to posting with Lil regarding "references" even tho Lil hasn't posted for almost an hour! *wink!*
    Lil lives in a different time zone and has likely gone to bed. Being in the travel biz, I would have thought you could have figured that out. Now go be rude to someone who actually thinks it's amusing. And take your emoticons with you.

BWAAAHAHAHAHHA!!! Not need to be rude when you're wrong!!

How's this for emoticons?

:-

P.S. Nice chattin' with you. I gotta go make dinner now. It's 7:39pm EST, that's 4:39pm PST, cos you know, I'm in the travel biz and all ...*another wink!* *runs away*
    Go Habs Go!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information