Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53

Thread: What does your voicemail prompt say?

  1. #16
    Elite Member mtlebay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post

    I hate it when people don't identify themselves on their messages. It's rude.
    That's me. I NEVER 'identify' myself on my outgoing VM, cos if you knew me, then you know my name anywaY! I don't think that's rude!
    Go Habs Go!!

  2. #17
    Elite Member Laurent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Out There
    Posts
    38,186

    Default

    I think PB meant when people call and don't identify who they are when they leave a message. Like when they say "Hi, I was just calling to tell you something. Call me back." I don't think she was talking about the outgoing message, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't identify on my personal voicemail on my cell, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Is there anyone who does NOT know how to leave a voicemail these days?
    Surprisingly, yes. Sometimes I'll answer the phone at work and if I offer to put someone through to a co-workers voicemail, at least half the time I'll get elderly people who'll say, "I don't understand all that voicemail business, just give So-and-so a message for me."

  3. #18
    Lil
    Lil is offline
    Gold Member Lil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    I think PB meant when people call and don't identify who they are when they leave a message. Like when they say "Hi, I was just calling to tell you something. Call me back." I don't think she was talking about the outgoing message, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't identify on my personal voicemail on my cell, either.
    Ah yes, you could be right. I don't always do that when I call my mum though, it amuses me to see how long it is before she works out if it is me or my sister calling.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

  4. #19
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    That's me. I NEVER 'identify' myself on my outgoing VM, cos if you knew me, then you know my name anywaY! I don't think that's rude!
    I disagree, and I make a lot of phone calls on occasion. It's a big assumption to think that every person who calls your number knows your name, and the names of anybody else who might be living there. I routinely call students (and other people) and messages that don't identify who lives there at least by first names, especially if it's more than one person, are maddening.

    So are messages that play a lot of music before any voice comes on, "cute" messages with kids' voices that go on for more than 15 seconds, and messages that go something like, "Yo." I usually hang up and don't bother leaving a message to all of the above.

    They're usually the same people who never empty their voice mail, or check their e-mail, but bitch that nobody told them class was cancelled, or that they won the lottery, or their grandma died.

    Also, as somebody who interviews people for a living, and who teaches career prep, a large number of employers have told me that when they call someone to offer them a job, if they get an unprofessional voicemail message, it's often a dealbreaker. Small things DO count.

  5. #20
    Lil
    Lil is offline
    Gold Member Lil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    My assumption is that if someone calls me it is because I have given them my number and therefore they know my name. If they don't know my name, I'm sure as hell not going to tell it to them either via my voicemail message or if I answer the phone.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

  6. #21
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Interesting. So a potential employer, or bureaucrat calling you about something significant, would just have to assume that the number indeed belonged to you, despite the fact that people move constantly and often do not forward or update their new contant info. In my experience, most people will NOT leave a message of any significance unless they know for certain that the person it is intended for lives there. Especially employers, schools etc. Not everybody recognizes voices instantly, especially if they don't know you well.

    I have no problem, or does anybody else I personally know, with leaving their first names on their outgoing messages. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. I am mystified by this idea that it is somehow a bad thing to do. I could perhaps understand if women living alone are reluctant to identify as such, but it's easy to get around that by simple saying something like, "You've reached the residence of PB and family" without getting specific. I mean you could be referring to your budgie or cat or whatever as "family."

    I don't give my number out to masses of people either, but occasionally someone I don't know with something important to tell me will call, and I want to ensure that they know that they have reached the right party.

  7. #22
    Gold Member Elise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    995

    Default

    My voicemail is the boring, "I can't come to the phone right now, please leave a message." I set it like 2 years ago & have never thought to change it.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

  8. #23
    Elite Member Laurent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Out There
    Posts
    38,186

    Default

    I can understand PB's point, however, I don't self identify because of my job and if some asshole somehow got my number, I wouldn't want to confirm for him or her that they did indeed have the right number to harass the shit out of me.

  9. #24
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    I always had an unlisted number when I worked full time as a journalist, but now that I'm married, I don't as the number is listed under hubby's name. He's the only one in the book with his name, so it makes him easy to find anyway.

  10. #25
    Lil
    Lil is offline
    Gold Member Lil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    So a potential employer, or bureaucrat calling you about something significant, would just have to assume that the number indeed belonged to you, despite the fact that people move constantly and often do not forward or update their new contant info.
    Yes. That's how phone numbers work. I give you mine, you dial it correctly, you get me. If I change numbers and don't tell someone important, then more fool me.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    In my experience, most people will NOT leave a message of any significance unless they know for certain that the person it is intended for lives there. Especially employers, schools etc.
    Not what I find. I work for a very large company and we generally don't have time to check up on the people we are calling. It is your responsibility to give me a correct number for you, and until you give me a different one that is the one I'll use. I don't have time to faff about checking I've got the right number for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Not everybody recognizes voices instantly, especially if they don't know you well.
    They are unlikely to recognise the voice on mine. I use the nice lady that comes with the phone.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

  11. #26
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    ^^My point exactly. People don't have time, and won't check to make sure it's the right number for you. They simply don't bother leaving a mesage. So people who don't keep their info current, and who don't have any kind of id at the other end of the line even if their number is current, are often SOL. Your method also assumes that everybody lives alone, which I find is simply not the case, especially in places where the cost of living and rents are high.

    I cancelled a class today because I am ill -- can't talk, terrible cough -- and sent everybody an e-mail, and had my husband phone people whose e-mail addresses weren't working (several, despite my telling them to give me one that they use and check often). Of the eight students he called, only one had any kind of decipherable message, let alone name attached.

    And now of course I've got e-mails from those same people mad because they came to a cancelled class. Well, if you don't give me a proper e-mail address that you look at daily, and you are unreachable by phone, how in hell do you expect me to contact you? And these people expect to walk into high-paid positions in a few months' time? Doubtful in the extreme given their unprofessionalism. And I experience this kind of thing constantly, as do lots of other people in lots of other professions. I guess that's why I have limited patience with the attitude of "it's always somebody else's fault" if people like that fail to connect.

  12. #27
    Lil
    Lil is offline
    Gold Member Lil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    ^^Exactly. I think it's very good of you to go to so much trouble, I know I wouldn't have the patience with people who were too lazy to make sure I had correct information for them, particularly when it is plainly in their interests to do so.

    My attitude would be as I have suggested. I'd call the number they gave me, leave a message on whatever sillyarse voicemail I got (along the lines of 'This is a message for [insert name] from Lil [detail of message]' and if they have given me the wrong number and don't get the message and turn up to a non-existent class then tough titty - they should be more careful to make sure I had the correct number, maybe they will learn for the next time - I am not running round after them. Ditto email. If it matters to them that they hear from me, they should make sure I have the correct information - it is their responsibility, not mine.

    Not sure what living alone or not has to do with the price of fish though.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

  13. #28
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Well, if you live alone, then it's more likely that you will be the person they're looking for. Places where people come and go a lot tend to be less stable.

    I'd love to leave that message for some of these students, but you know they would complain about my "bad attitude and unprofessionalism" to the admin and I'd be the one in trouble. One of the many reasons I and so many like me are fleeing the profession. Just too much BS and coddling of bad behavior.

  14. #29
    Lil
    Lil is offline
    Gold Member Lil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Maybe it's because I am dealing with other professionals, who normally want something from me (a job, information, business or whatever) and are generally less whingey if I can't contact them because they were too stupid to give me a number that works. I don't envy you dealing with people like the ones you describe though, and agree that the real world, populated as it is with bitches like me with 'bad attitude and unprofessionalism' will come as a nasty shock to some of them. Shame.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

  15. #30
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Yes, I only wish I could be a fly on the wall when some of these precious darlings, not all of whom are even that young, run into the real world. I don't look like such a mean bitch after all at that point, I'm sure.

    I do exact a little revenge when some of these dopes ask me for a reference after being lazy, rude and generally untalented and useless for a year or two. I then patiently explain to them via e-mail (no phone numbers are ever displayed) exactly why there is no way in hell I would risk my reputation by giving the likes of them a decent reference.

    It's a small pleasure, but I have to take my rewards where I find them. On the flip side, I really enjoy writing a good reference for a student who deserves it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Paris Hilton caught hacking Lindsay Lohan's voicemail
    By teforde23 in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •