Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Virus question

^ Yes I work for a computer company, and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as far as FREE antivirus software goes.

My computer is so messed up right now. I've got AVG, but it's not handling the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    Malwarebytes.org is my new favorite malware/spyware program.
    I can't get it to pull up.. is it still in service? If not, can you please recommend another good one? TIA

Oh, and something else-- even when I go into Safe Mode I still can't do a system restore. Any suggestions?

sweetness I've had viruses that would block malwarebytes.org - in that case I will download it elsewhere to a flash drive, and install/run it in safe mode. I have also gone over to microsoft security essentials over AVG but DON'T install it while you have another antivirus - more than one antivirus installed can be bad. Before you mess with the antivirus, try getting the malwarebytes program on there.

What is your computer doing and what operating system are you running?
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Exclamation Sweetness: This may or may not work!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    My computer is so messed up right now. I've got AVG, but it's not handling the problem.

I can't get it to pull up.. is it still in service? If not, can you please recommend another good one? TIA

Oh, and something else-- even when I go into Safe Mode I still can't do a system restore. Any suggestions?

Do this if you have another computer to go to or think you can do it on yours...

Get (or borrow) a fair sized flash drive or what have you

Go to cnet (it is like Consumer Reports for geeks)

Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Download the free version of Malwarebytes as well as the most latest version (and alway free) of Microsoft Security Essentials onto the flash drive

Please download this as well it is free and this is the softpedia's little area for the eXcessive software folks, they are all very geeky like Cnet...

eXcessive Software developer profile - software title list and all other information available - Softpedia

...this is TEMP Cleaner 1.1 and it is free as well. It is a very strong program so please read over everything on the link and go over to the software developers homepage over on there as well. Make sure you go over what it does very methodically before you download it and use it please.

So then you would try to do your, like, housework and please just let AVG go when you do this. I have not used AVG in a very long time, but I think you could turn it off or something when you do this...

You clean first with the TEMP Cleaner. Then you bust out Malware Bytes. Then you bust out Microsoft System Essentials.

If these three things work, then you can go on ahead and defragment your hard drive the old fashioned way and keep on trucking from there and load up MSE properly.
    Last edited by philbert_wormly; January 17th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Philbert, I'm going to try that TEMP cleaner and add it to my arsenal. Thank you.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Philbert, thank you so much!

I'm gonna give it a shot....

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    sweetness I've had viruses that would block malwarebytes.org - in that case I will download it elsewhere to a flash drive, and install/run it in safe mode. I have also gone over to microsoft security essentials over AVG but DON'T install it while you have another antivirus - more than one antivirus installed can be bad. Before you mess with the antivirus, try getting the malwarebytes program on there.

What is your computer doing and what operating system are you running?
    Hey Corsair! Sorry I missed your post before....

I'm lucky to be able to get online at all. I've had to create several new user accounts in the control panel to do so. I'll use the new user account for a little while, then things start acting up again and it becomes useless (can't access the start menu, pages lock up and I can't even see my cursor, etc..).

I'm not very computer savvy at all, only know the basic stuff.... this is WindowsXP, I've got Internet Explorer 8, and the computer is about 7 years old. I've always used AVG and never really had any issues that System Restore couldn't fix. And now when I try to access System Restore it won't let me click on any earlier dates-- just the current date, which obviously gets me nowhere.

I noticed weird things starting to happen around January 3rd-- while browsing on Amazon (something I don't usually do). Not sure if there's a connection or not. During that time I had also begun doing a lot of reading on IMDB.

It was at that time my computer would say it needed to do a disk check upon restarting-- it still does this, but things have just gradually gotten worse and worse. Now it's a full on mess.

My pop up blocker is on, but I get the pop ups telling me I have all kinds of threats and infections. They want me to click, but of course I do not. My Windows security says everything is fine, the firewall is turned on. AVG says I'm fully protected.

When I Google and click on a link it takes to me to various weird sites. I have to copy and paste addresses if I want to find something.

New windows are constantly opening up without my doing. When I go to task manager to shut them down it also shuts down the page I was willingly browsing. Sometimes I'm able to get back online, if I'm lucky.

When I try to open in Safe Mode the page just fills up with all kinds of codes and I usually still can't get online. Sometimes the black screen will get stuck.

Oh, and just a little while ago I was able to pull up a cnet forum and when I tried to click on a topic I was whisked away to some other weird site with a message saying something like "do you really want to navigate away from this page?" I've gotten that same message when trying to access other sites as well.

My son has his own computer, but I don't have a flash drive to use. Looks like I need to get one pronto!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this super long post. You folks here at GR are the best!

(I'm glad I copied and pasted this into Notepad... my page went bye bye when I tried to post it the first time.)

How are things, sweetness?

Quote Originally Posted by philbert_wormly View Post
    How are things, sweetness?
    Things are going fantastic! Thank you so much for asking, Philbert. Hope you're doing well.

My old desktop officially crashed, so after about 3 weeks of computer withdrawals I was finally able to go out and get a new laptop today. I am over the moon!

Trying to adjust to this touch pad..... must hook up the wireless mouse.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    ^ Yes I work for a computer company, and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as far as FREE antivirus software goes.
    really? good to know

Hit By Ban Bus!

First catch your hare.

Bronze Member

If you effected virus, then scan is not proper solution, just formatting is a soluation. So we should use anti-virus for protection. From long time I am using Avast, that is really great.

Holy oddball necro, Batman.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

This isn't the only one.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Wow 2 years is a long time to have a virus, I'd see a doctor.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information