Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Virus question

Default Re: Virus question

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair
    I use AVG on all my machines and on any that I build/work on. It seems to catch more than the others and not a resource hog.

Has anyone used pandasoftware.com's free online scan?

I use panda and bitdefender for on-line scans. I am of the opinion that no matter who you use, they will miss some, so when I have a problem, I use both. Here are the addies.

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Default Re: Virus question

I use panda as my back up because I agree, sometimes one will find what the other doesn't. There are just too many out there. The online scan is my backup check. I also use separate Lavasoft Ad-Aware (free version) because it seems every few months I pick up the Coulomb dialer and nothing but Lavasoft picks it up (I know its there when I lose my internet connection every 20 minutes or so). I have kids that play a lot of online games (as do myself and my husband). My sons tend to download a lot of stuff from gamer sites so we kind of high risk around here.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I dled Panda Antivirus and it told me to uninstall AVG cuz something was incompatible or whatever...that was a bit of a hassle.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    First off I ask that no one throws anything at me or rolls their eyes when I ask these questions. Thank You
    How do you know you have a virus? How do I run a virus scan?
    Here is my problem. Since Monday my computer has been running extremely slow. My other problem is I have MSN as my homepage. No problem going there but when I want to say get to Gossip Rocks, which is in my favorites, it will not take me to that website I have clicked on. My husband installed a "newer" version of Explorer. Could this be the problem? And if so how do I uninstall it. The crazy part is my husbands favorites are combined with mine now.
    I subscribed to Real Arcade, game website, and Ive purchased several games. Now yesterday I went to it, played a couple of games Ive bought and downloaded with no problems. Today I go to it to play a game and all my games are gone. Could this be the work of a virus? Ive not had any problems getting on gossip rock, even though I have type in the website address instead of clicking on it in my favorites. Thank god for that, Id go crazy if couldnt get in here.
    Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
    When you log on, do you type in a password? Do you disable your internet connection when you log off?

I was advised to do both those things because someone hacked into my computer and was uploading all manner of things at my expense. Fortunately with the deal we have with our ISP I wasn't out much money, but I was royally p.o.'d because my computer was running at a snail's pace.

Unfortunately, my friend who used to advise and help me with any computer problems passed away.

One thing she stressed was to give puter a weekly "checkup", so to speak....full scan, adware removal, disabling of history, cookies, etc. and defragmentation if needed.

I know that since I have disabled the internet connection before turning the power off my computer, I have had no problems.

Malwarebytes.org is my new favorite malware/spyware program.

There's an awful virus going around now called MS antispyware. Once you have it, it prompts you via pop-up ads to install it and if you even close the window it installs itself again. It then shuts off Norton antivirus software and does a bunch of other stuff. It took down 2 laptops in my family this week and we can't figure out how they even got it. Anyone know anything about this one?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    There's an awful virus going around now called MS antispyware. Once you have it, it prompts you via pop-up ads to install it and if you even close the window it installs itself again. It then shuts off Norton antivirus software and does a bunch of other stuff. It took down 2 laptops in my family this week and we can't figure out how they even got it. Anyone know anything about this one?
    I got this on my laptop about 2 months ago. They had to wipe out my whole hard drive and re install everything, that was the only way to get it off my computer. The guy who repaired my computer told me in the future that when I get pop ups to hit control, alt, delete and go into the task manager and end the program as opposed to trying to close out of the box since it won't let you and then installs itself.

I wish I could tell you how to get rid of it, Corsair seems to know quite a bit about computers, perhaps she can help you out. Good luck!

Just saw this, I will look into it. There is a virus/malware that does this, seems to pop back up with a new name every so often. I will see if I can find fix and post here if I do, antivirus programs don't usually see it because it is not seen as a virus to them.

ETA: first place I looked recommended the malwarebytes.org program. That's the one I use, try it first, it's malware removal only and not antivirus but so far has always fixed what I needed it to. If you hate it, uninstall it, it shouldn't conflict with your antivirus.
    Last edited by Corsair; December 30th, 2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: ETA info

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    The guy who repaired my computer told me in the future that when I get pop ups to hit control, alt, delete and go into the task manager and end the program as opposed to trying to close out of the box since it won't let you and then installs itself.
    !
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    ETA: first place I looked recommended the malwarebytes.org program. That's the one I use, try it first, it's malware removal only and not antivirus but so far has always fixed what I needed it to. If you hate it, uninstall it, it shouldn't conflict with your antivirus.
    Thank you both for the advice! When my family ran it by the computer repair tech, he grinned and said that they don't usually tell people that because it keeps them in business. so your advice was spot-on! Thanks again!

Default Virus issues...

Use Linux [many ''flavors'' are free] or Mac OSX, which uses a Unix/Linux backbone. Windows [XP or Vista] is not very good, especially when it comes to security issues. [Although, when I use Windows I go ''bareback'', i.e., I do not use an anti-virus program or it's disabled most of the time. This is a performance issue but I do not suggest it unless you are aware of what you are doing.] Do not use IE...it's the most popular browser and naturally the target of most exploits. Instead use Firefox or Opera [both are free] and keep them updated.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    What's the best free anti-spyware to use?
    Simple,this one.....

Malwarebytes.org

sorry,didnt see corsairs post.

Btw,if you have Internet Explorer,the you are leaving yourself wide open to viruses,it is the most hacked browser on the net,get yourself either Firefox or Opera.
    Last edited by Da Man; August 11th, 2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: repeat posting.

Silver Member

I.E 8 (or 8.5??) is in beta. i would not use it. if you downloaded it, delete it first and to a reset of your computer to an earlier date. then keep version 7.

Avira free antivirus is good.

I know that no one has posted in this thread in a while.

But, I just wanted to share something.

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a while now and it is one of the nicest programs I have used.

It is a two in one. Meaning, that it is antivirus and spyware. Runs in real time and all of that and it is free. It is also not a resource hog at all.

I do not work for Microsoft or anything like that. I am just saying that in the 20 some odd years of my having used computers, this Microsoft Security Essentials just seems to be really good and user friendly

Talking Further Pimping Of MSE

This is a sticky and so I am not necroposting.

Microsoft Security Essentials has a 'version two' now and that version is no longer in beta or anything. I just read of it on lifehacker and it is a brand new thingy.

So, if anyone has it, you can install the 'version two' manually on the proper Microsoft web site and it will somehow erase the old version and not mess up your registry or anything.

It is free. And, I sure as hell do not work for Microsoft or anything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information