Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scams. Do not fall for this for crying out loud.

I've not had anyone try the facebook chat scam on me though I know a bunch of people who have but then I don't reuse passwords on more than one site.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Wow! Smart guy to catch that. I've heard of that scam before, but if one of my FB friends said this in chat...hmmm. Just wow.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

A*O

I do a bit of "scam baiting" where I respond to scammers pretending to be interested and then string them along as much as possible. See Welcome to 419Eater if you want a laugh. Some of the baits are superb. If they are wasting their time on me then hopefully they won't be able to target as many real victims. This is a multi-billion dollar "industry" and it staggers me that so many naive, gullible people continue to fall for it. It's usually older people who aren't as internet savvy or really desperate people who will ignore the obvious because they are blinded by the promise of huge amounts of money or love. It's a bit like the compulsive gambler's mentality. You know deep down that you will lose but you keep playing one more hand just in case you don't.

I sometimes go to local "computers for beginners" classes (mostly for older people) and give a little talk/warning about internet scams. It seems to go down pretty well and I think I'm able to warn them to look out for the obvious ones. What does worry me is that the teachers/tutors on these courses as often as clueless as their students.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I just got one. Someone selling their 5 year old Nissan Altima with 42K miles for $2750. Wanted my address to ship me the car, and if I wanted it, I had to pay them through PayPal. My response, "Um yeah, this is a scam."
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

A*O

Oh and Craigslist is SCAMMER CENTRAL. Beware!
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I do a bit of "scam baiting" where I respond to scammers pretending to be interested and then string them along as much as possible. See Welcome to 419Eater if you want a laugh. Some of the baits are superb. If they are wasting their time on me then hopefully they won't be able to target as many real victims. This is a multi-billion dollar "industry" and it staggers me that so many naive, gullible people continue to fall for it. It's usually older people who aren't as internet savvy or really desperate people who will ignore the obvious because they are blinded by the promise of huge amounts of money or love. It's a bit like the compulsive gambler's mentality. You know deep down that you will lose but you keep playing one more hand just in case you don't.

I sometimes go to local "computers for beginners" classes (mostly for older people) and give a little talk/warning about internet scams. It seems to go down pretty well and I think I'm able to warn them to look out for the obvious ones. What does worry me is that the teachers/tutors on these courses as often as clueless as their students.
    Oh wow.. just been browsing around at 419 and they are hardcore about this sport! I love this idea!!! What a great way to give it right back!
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

A*O

Well do some baiting then! Next time you get a scam email reply saying you are interested. Just make sure you use a totally untraceable email (gmail is best) and absolutely NO personal info. My baiting "character" is a retired British guy called Reg living in Spain. Pick up baiting hints and tips at 419Eater. It's a great community, albeit a bit blokey.
    Dame Edna Everage

It is and can be, but I have sold many things, to legitimate buyers there. And bought things, from legitimate sellers there. You just have to pay attention and be on your toes.

That said, be wary of scary phone scams, too. I kept getting these very frightening and intimidating phone calls threatening to have me arrested if I didn't call a certain number. Long story short, they are a collection agency from Bangladesh, and they will go to any lengths to collect on a bill I paid over 10 years ago. They pretend to be a cop, or attorney, or just about anything to get you to pay up. On something you've probably already paid.

A friend of mine just ran into a scam on Match.com, and didn't realize it until the guy asked her to wire him $1300 to that he could get back to the states from Nigeria. Fortunately it was only 2 weeks of "chatting" and emailing, and she never sent money.

Silver Member

I kinda feel bad after reading all these awesome attempted scams...I only get the boring bank details with a bank I'm not with ones. Why don't the Nigerians ask me for help dammit.

I was trying to find the one at scams.com where the guy strung along this scammer who of course wanted money for a business opportunity. The reading was totally a spit cereal on your computer screen one. In the end, the scammer was told that the deacon at the church had run off with the Sunday school teacher and all the church funds so they could no longer be a part of the deal.

Funny thing about people though... I received an email from a business official who said he was stranded in London and needed money to get home because his possessions had been stolen. Since I know him, I called and said someone had hacked his email and told him about the scam. He wasn't the least concerned.

And then there are those who argue about the legitimacy of the Paypal list scam that say you can make money from sending out emails. Where is the common sense sometimes?
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i know someone really "smart", like really really smart (and no it wasn't me , although i did almost fall for a scam in college like this) who fell for one of these - an email from their bank asking for personal info and they sent it! omg, this person felt like the dumbest piece of shit ever i felt bad for them.

its quite humbling falling for a scam.

god no kidding, i was browsing for a car i want and saw the same scam of the car in multiple cities and when i got the email back after showing interest and it was an obvious scam i told them to fuck off and die

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information