Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Projector & screen vs Flatscreen TV - thoughts?

Bella - where the hella you been???????????????????
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

^in the basement!
    MohandasKGanja and Brookie like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

What Olivia said. Having to have the room 100% dark to watching anything properly is annoying, especially when you have kids who are more likely to run into things on their way to the bathroom or if you want to have dessert while you watch the movie. Rainy day TV watching? Only if you have really good shutters or don't mind barely being able to see

ALSO very annoying when hubby has to adjust everything for a half hour before we can get started. One further add: if anyone stands up at any time, odds are they're going to block the image being projected. If you're trying to walk towards the projector to fix it for some reason, you're in darkness except the light glaring into your eyeballs in front of you. ALSO annoying.

We've gotten our past two 'TVs' by hubby fixing things his boss upgraded from and would have thrown away/donated/garagesale-d otherwise. First it was a projector, now its a huge flat screen (Boss didn't like it's speakers or something. Hubby tweaked it and it's flawless now, but his boss just wanted an excuse to get something new, I think) We far prefer the big flat screen to the projector.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Bella - where the hella you been???????????????????
    Just needed (need?) a break.

We have white "black-out" wooden blinds that work great for getting the room dark in the middle of a sunny day. You don't have to block out all light to get a good picture. We have recessed lighting and have to make sure the ones right in front of the screen are off buy you can see the picture clearly if the rest are just dimmed a bit.
    Brookie likes this.

fgg

i ended up buying the Sharp LC-70LE847U 70-Inch 1080p 240Hz LED-Lit 3D Internet TV and it is fantastic! mounted on my wall same day it was delivered

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i ended up buying the Sharp LC-70LE847U 70-Inch 1080p 240Hz LED-Lit 3D Internet TV and it is fantastic! mounted on my wall same day it was delivered
    How high up do you have it? As in, from the floor to the bottom of the TV? I was thinking of wall-mounting two TV's eventually.

fgg

i'll have to check. the top of it is about 12 inches from the ceiling.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    We have an Epson projector in our basement theater. The screen is 96 (or 98?) inches. It's amazing. We have a 40-something flat screen on each side (for sports) and I'm fairly certain no one has turned on any of the other TVs in our house since. We took two of my kids to see Oz a last weekend and while they were walking out of the theater, they both said they like our basement better. My husband really had to talk me into this purchase because we aren't a big TV-watching family. It's been worth every penny though.
    Here's your upgrade, Bella: (Oh Man, a Custom 4K Imax Home Theater Would Change Everything)

Oh Man, a Custom 4K Imax Home Theater Would Change Everything

The summer blockbusters are already hitting theaters, and if you're sane, you're going to go see them in an Imax theater. It's the big screen, only bigger, and more awesome. Now, you can take the IMAGE MAXIMUM experience home with you—provided you've got the guap to buy one of Imax's new pricey custom installs.
    ads not by this site

If you buy an Imax Private Home Theater, the company will come to your mansion and design a badass theater from the ground up, from the geometry of the room, to the placement of the seats to the 7.1 channel surround sound, to the floor-to-ceiling curved screen.
    Imax is offering its private clients technology far superior to what you get at your local multiplex. Instad of the standard Imax projectors with paltry 2K resolution, your custom theater will get dual 4K projectors, one for 2D and one for 3D. This thing looks ill.
    Our best guess is that this beast uses the Kodak 4K projection technology Imax bought last year, and will be available to theaters for purchase later this year. The new projectors are good for screens over 120-feet wide. You know, because the standard 71-foot panoramic screen just isn't good enough. And, yes, Imax will constantly monitor your theater to make sure everything's running properly and provide 24-hour support.
    Sadly, this lifestyle enhancement will be ruinously expensive. According to at least one report, it'll cost $1-$2 million, depending on the install. Whatever. Worth it. [Imax via Slashfilm]
    Brookie likes this.

Funny enough, a bulb (or something) just blew in our projector. THankfully it's under warranty. And just in case it isn't, I'm never showing my husband that ^ Mohandas. LOL
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information