Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Projector & screen vs Flatscreen TV - thoughts?

also, i'm pretty shallow
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

Hmmm...looking more and more like I need a tv. Maybe just save a bit more and get a 70 inch. Thanks for all of your input!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I love my 50" Panasonic. CostCo.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

SEVENTY inches?! Do you live in the damn Superdome?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I bought a 60" smart TV on Black Friday. Absolutely love it. I can't fit a projection screen anywhere in my house.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

how can you handle tv's that big? when our miniature tv broke, my roommate and i got a 32" and that was the biggest i was willing to go. and only because there was almost no frame around the screen and it didn't look as huge as the other 32". i would have been fine with the 23".
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

We have 49" and I love it. Bigger is always better.
    Brookie likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Bigger is always better.
    size queen

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    size queen
    That's what I thought when I saw Chilly's response.

However, a true TV size queen would go for the Sharp Aquos 90. It's a 90-inch diagonal (2.286 meter) smart 3D tv. Currently costs about $9,000. But I guarantee that if you are willing to wait a year, it will be down to about $5,000.

It's not a "green" TV, though, despite being an LED. It uses 381 watts of power. That's like having 4 100-watt bulbs on in your room. The OLED versions should have much lower power consumption.

Elite Member

Mohandas, since you're the expert, is there any movement to make LEDs and OLEDs less harsh on the eyes? I often feel nausea watching anything on an LED and it looks very flat and artificial, to me, which is why we have a plasma. Since plasmas are getting fazed out, we're going to be in big trouble with our next TV.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

My friend has a projector and I have a 3D 42 inch tv (but the beauty of the tv is it takes up no space) that hangs above the fireplace. My brother set mine up to use as little space as possible. My friend that has the projector complains about it and worries about having to spend $700.00 to replace the damn bulb they use. I like mine better than I like hers. My son (14 year old with a penis) likes hers better, of course!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

fgg

i've pretty much been scared off of the projector. and yes, i'm a size queen as well so why not spring for the 70 inch? i have a 42 inch right now and that bad boy is getting moved into my bedroom.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Mohandas, since you're the expert, is there any movement to make LEDs and OLEDs less harsh on the eyes? I often feel nausea watching anything on an LED and it looks very flat and artificial, to me, which is why we have a plasma. Since plasmas are getting fazed out, we're going to be in big trouble with our next TV.
    That's a good question. Some people think the problem is related to refresh rate (60/120/240 MHz) and motion-smoothing settings. But supposedly what's really causing it is the blue-LED backlighting on certain LED TVs. Supposedly, manufacturers are already aware of people's sensitivity and are trying to reduce the amount of blue LED lighting in TVs. I think that if you avoid watching this type of TV in total darkness you can lessen the effect. The reason is that in a really dark room, the rods in your retina come into play (and are more sensitive to blue), while in a well-lit room, it's your cones that are perceiving light, and they are less sensitive to the blue (Purkinje shift).

I don't think everyone has this blue sensitivity, though. We have an LCD TV in our bedroom that has a blue LED on whenever the TV is off. Mrs Mohandas hates it , and can't sleep with it beaming out at us, so she covers it with clothes, etc. It doesn't bother me at all, though. Also, my son and I routinely play first-person video games on our LED TV in total darkness and have never felt the slightest bit nauseous.

Elite Member

Thanks for the info, moh. I copied and saved it for the future, soz I can sound smart when we next shop for a TV.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

We have an Epson projector in our basement theater. The screen is 96 (or 98?) inches. It's amazing. We have a 40-something flat screen on each side (for sports) and I'm fairly certain no one has turned on any of the other TVs in our house since. We took two of my kids to see Oz a last weekend and while they were walking out of the theater, they both said they like our basement better. My husband really had to talk me into this purchase because we aren't a big TV-watching family. It's been worth every penny though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information