Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop purchase suggestions please

When my Toshiba laptop crashed and burned last year I bought a Sony Vaio to replace it, and I LOVE it. I've only had one or 2 minor problems, and Sony fixed it right away, no complaints or runarounds about the warranty. They just dispatched a guy to my house 2 days later (turnaround time for them to overnight him the part he needed to fix it)-one was me popping a key off the keyboard, totally my fault, they fixed it anyway, the other was the battery stopped functioning and they replaced the battery with no issues.

The only thing I can say is do not buy an HP laptop. Most people I know that were using HP laptops have had some really major problems with them-usually along the lines of computer will not turn on, customer service will not help you or acknowledge fault, and all your stuff is completely lost (thankfully most of the ones I know with the dead laptop actively backup their importatn files) leaving you without a computer.

Silver Member

I bought a Compaq on sale for $599. It has everything that I need, which was basically word and picture storage. I bought one on the low end of price since I figured technology moves so fast, this one would be "old" within 1-2 years. I like it and have had no problems with it.

Thanks again guys. You're the best. That's what I have loved about this board...immediate response.
    Playful~

Hit By Ban Bus!

I guess I'll go and check out a Vista platform. I'm still undecided about whether to migrate, but I have a feeling I'll stick with Windows. I'm intrigued with Mac though.

Playful, don't forget HP! I got my laptop from them -you can pick out on line EXACTLY what you need , they baby you through it. I used a comuter geek to put it all together the first time. If you have a problem, they are there to help you day & night-as is VERISON! I got the fiber optic stuff several months back. I need my back ups!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

HP laptops are ridiculously unreliable. I know a lot of people that got them as grad gifts (computer nerd and not computer nerd), and none of them are still functioning. I detailed it above, but even the computer nerds (CS majors, techs, etc.) could not rescue their machines and the customer service people get real quiet when you call with that particular problem. It ain't their fault or their problem, but it's really interesting that so many of them have the exact same problem....

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    HP laptops are ridiculously unreliable. I know a lot of people that got them as grad gifts (computer nerd and not computer nerd), and none of them are still functioning. I detailed it above, but even the computer nerds (CS majors, techs, etc.) could not rescue their machines and the customer service people get real quiet when you call with that particular problem. It ain't their fault or their problem, but it's really interesting that so many of them have the exact same problem....
    Wow! I did not know this! Playful-cross it off your list!!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I guess I'll go and check out a Vista platform. I'm still undecided about whether to migrate, but I have a feeling I'll stick with Windows. I'm intrigued with Mac though.
    Me,too. Just lack the nerve!

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back. This is true of every single person I know who switched from Windows to Mac. As for me, I've always been a Mac girl.

My husband had similar issues with his HP. Worked for over a year, closer to 2 but after the one-year mark he had problems with it just randomly turning itself off. Not good. He got a Sony vaio and it's working perfectly. I've had 2 sony vaio's and had the first one not been stolen I would still be loving it, never had a problem. My new one came with Vista and I don't know much about computers/don't have specific needs but I like the new look (how the windows are partly transparent so you can see what is generally in each window without having to click to open, or you can hover around the toolbar open window icon and it pops up a mini version of that window. Neat stuff.)

If want to go basic, get a dell. Next one if you want little more fancy, get a sony. If you want to go all out or doing something in the arts....get a mac. I own a mac, because I do photography.
    Love ya,
    Dara

Not a serious suggestion due to the cost but it looks really cool! Home - Ego Lifestyle It's like a handbag.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Wow! The Ego is super neat!

I would suggest a Mac, but it sounds like that might not meet your needs if you will be using it for spreadsheets that would need to be converted.

I have a Dell laptop, and I like it a lot. When I purchased it, I specifically talked to several "computer nerds" who all told me that if you're not getting a Mac, Dell is the way to go. It has great battery life and it's durable and reliable.

I also like the Acer. It has a large, glossy screen and is fast. I'd never heard of one until last year, but several friends have them and they are pretty pleased.

That being said, I have noticed that every PC laptop I've had (not just the HP, which was my first) has started to rapidly deteriorate around the 2 year mark. The HP would turn itself off. The others become extremely slow (often taking 10 minutes after start up to become functional) and require so much maintenance/purchasing new parts/paying for upgrades that it's almost not even worth it.

I don't recommend Acer - Mine crashed last year after 18 months and I've heard alot of negative feedback - they don't last long - I've had a Packard Bell for a year now, no probs so far but they have a way to stick their brand everywhere that drives me nuts (below the screen, on the back of the screen, on the adress bar, on the name of the pages in the navigation bar, on the opening screen, etc...grrrrrrr)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information