Speaking of that, Andrew Sullivan linked to a really interesting story (Feet In Smoke: A Story About Electrified Near-Death) this weekend. It was about a guy who was almost electrocuted when he put his mouth up to an improperly grounded microphone. He flatlined five times in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. And it took a month for him to get back to normal in terms of thinking and behavior. During the recovery period, his brother said it was like he was "on acid". Especially with failure to recognize people or rules of behavior
Originally Posted by twitchy2.0
On the day of the 25th, stood up from his lunch, despite my attempts to restrain him, spilling the contents of his tray everywhere. Glanced at my hands, tight around his shoulders, and said, "I am not … repulsed … by man-to-man love. But I'm not into it."Another:
Day of the 26th. Referred to heart monitor as "a solid, congealed bag of nutrients."Another:
Evening of the 27th. Unexpectedly jumped up from his chair, a perplexed expression on his face, and ran to the wall. Rubbed palms along a small area of the wall, like a blind man. Turned. Asked, "Where's the piñata?" Shuffled into hallway. Noticed a large nurse walking away from us down the hall. Muttered, "If she's got our piñata, I'm gonna be pissed."