Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Have you ever used a typewriter?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    ah typewritters such fun I hated typing class the old biddy would make me cut my nails and kept clippers in her drawer for that reason
    Bullshit! I learned to type WITH the fingernails, lol. I refused to cut my nails and it took a little bit of time but I did get to a point where I can type with them.

I started typing class in 92 and we were on computers. I used a typewriter at my grandparents to practice and then I bought one at a yardsale, blue like the first picture. I used that until the keys started dying. I'd have spaces all over the page where I was missing "a" or "r".

I'm tempted to buy one because it is a hell of a lot easier to put an envelope in a typewriter, hit out an address and be done than it is to open a document, format, type it out, fight with the effing printer and be pissed off because it's crooked.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

I remember having to use a typewriter in the 3rd grade (I think) to type up a paper. It was a nightmare, and I think my mom ended up doing it for me

I used a typewriter, and I am 28. My school was behind the times, it seems. lol

I used quite a few keys from vintage typewriters picked up at the goodwill to make jewelry for Christmas presents this year.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

I had a super cool brother typewriter in college and boy did I think I was hot shit.

LOL

Now I'm just an old fart with a bunch of paper weight laptops in the basement.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Um yeah. My first job was at a life insurance company and I had a MANUAL typewriter at my personal disposal.

My second job was at a bank and I had a fancy IBM "selectric" typewriter with interchangeable font "balls". I thought I was hot shit. (Hmmmm, lots of hot shit going around..............)

Ah the good ol' typewriter. My grandparents had one and my parents didn't, so the highlight of visiting my grandparents when I was a little girl was being able to use the typewriter

Gawd, talk about 'simple pleasures!'

I used to love writing on a typewriter....lol I hated typing class though. They made us practice the typewriter keyboard paper on a sheet of paper.lol And I would never use one now, I love my computer!
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    I used a typewriter, and I am 28. My school was behind the times, it seems. lol

I used quite a few keys from vintage typewriters picked up at the goodwill to make jewelry for Christmas presents this year.
    i've seen some of that typewriter key jewelry on etsy & it's really cool. i think i might steal this idea.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Elite Member

I have to use a typewriter at work sometimes to make one-off labels for books. It's easier and quicker than using the computer when you only have a couple to do. A lot of the kids at school (middle school age) will ask me what it is and look at it like it must be some kind of alien tool. Hysterical. It makes me smile every time one of them looks at it incredulously.

My first typing school in the 80's still had manual (NOT electric) typewriters. I had to learn how to center text using actual MATH!! OMG!
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

yep...
    because i love these..
    but we also had to use typewriter in school.. funny, since it was already the *everyone-has-an-pc-at-home* (alright, internet wasnt everywhere computers were)

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post
    The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    That phrase always brings back nightmares of spending what seemed like hours typing utter nonsence over and over again (rows and rows of Aa Aa Aa and Bb Bb Bb and A b C d E f G while our teacher patrolled between us yelling about the correct finger placement.

I have a Sharp typewriter that I purchased in the late 80's, when I was attending community college. On a visit home about 6 months ago, my mom asked me to take it back home with me, and my kids (11 and 9) were thrilled. They used it just about every day to play with, until the ribbon ran out. Now, they keep bugging me every so often about when I'm going to buy more ribbon so they can keep using it!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

The use of glass typewriter keys in jewelry makes me want to fucking scream. I want to buy up every glass keyed typewriter on eBay to "save" them.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information