Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever used a typewriter?

In the 3rd grade (mid 80's) I remember those Apple computers with Number Munchers and Oregon Trail.
    I used a typewriter to type a project, I think this was in 1988. And it sucked when a mistake was made.
    I'm 29 just incase someone wanted to know
    In 9th grade '93-'94 my friend took a typing class using a typewriter and computer.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

What? Have I ever used a typewriter!? Fucking A, you people make me feel old!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I started it. I figured there are so many folks here born around 1980-1990, I imagined they've never even touched one.

There are more old-timers here than you think.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i remember when we learned to type in high school, doing the repetitive keys, aaa bbb ccc, and then typing FDS space FDS space, and giggling because we all knew it meant douche.
    hehehe! i remember exercises like that. the word "fads" is still my favorite one to type because i can do it so quickly & because it uses just home row keys...something i've always liked about that word.

fads fads fads fads...
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I started it. I figured there are so many folks here born around 1980-1990, I imagined they've never even touched one.
    Some of the best years of my life were in that decade! LOL!
    Free Charmed.

Define "oldtimers". heheh

I think we have more people here between 30-40 than it sometimes appears. I always snicker at teens who think 30 or even 40 is old.

Maybe for some people. But for that matter, I know some old people in their 20's.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Nope, never used a typewriter. Or a pager. I've never had to look up library books using index cards, sent or received a telegram, or printed stuff using a dot matrix printer, either. I can't remember a world before EFTPOS facilities were everywhere and I wouldn't even know how to use a record player - the only time I've ever encountered them is around music snob friends who like the retro appeal.

Last Father's Day I witnessed the funniest thing, though. My grandfather took a photo of us using his (non-digital) camera, and my 4-year-old cousin got very confused and couldn't understand why she wasn't able to see the picture he'd just taken on a screen on the back of the camera! That made even me feel old!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    Nope, never used a typewriter. Or a pager. I've never had to look up library books using index cards, sent or received a telegram, or printed stuff using a dot matrix printer, either. I can't remember a world before EFTPOS facilities were everywhere and I wouldn't even know how to use a record player - the only time I've ever encountered them is around music snob friends who like the retro appeal.

Last Father's Day I witnessed the funniest thing, though. My grandfather took a photo of us using his (non-digital) camera, and my 4-year-old cousin got very confused and couldn't understand why she wasn't able to see the picture he'd just taken on a screen on the back of the camera! That made even me feel old!
    I learnt to type on a typewriter - and how I love my pc all the more for it now, especially the keyboard! I hated having to keep my nails cut short for the typewriter and love being able to keep mine long now.

I've never used a pager but have used index cards at libraries more than once. In fact, my local library may still have some of the older historical research stuff still on index cards! I've never sent or recieved a telegram either, but I have used a dot matrix printer. I also remember my first ever works computer, an Amstrad PCW9512 (!) that needed a floppy disk inserted to boot and came with an enormous daisywheel printer that was louder than hell and used to vibrate things off my desk if I wasn't careful.

And I still on occassion use ordinary as opposed to digital cameras, but in my defence its most likely to be one of the disposable ones for a really wild night out when you don't want to risk having your nice, expensive digital camera stolen or filled with beer. Plus, in those situations its kinda fun having to wait to see how the shots turned out without anyone being able to scream "OMG!" and grab the camera and delete the evidence.

^ I'm going to Wiki daisywheel printers now, because I don't even know what they are!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    ^ I'm going to Wiki daisywheel printers now, because I don't even know what they are!

Daisy wheel printer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ta-da!

And this is the part that I was talking about:

Like all other impact printers, daisy wheel printers are noisy. Unlike the more familiar whine of a dot matrix printer, a high speed daisy wheel printer sounded like intermittent machine gun fire.
    Machine gun my arse - more like rapid cannon fire! I swear I should have been issued with ear mufflers for when I had to do a mass mailing.

Edited to add this picture that I found on a computer museum website of an old PCW9512, the first works computer I ever used. I had a different printer, but that is generally everything that came with it. Everything had to be saved to a floppy disk, no colour screen, no mouse....

Damn, I'm trying not to feel old now and have to keep telling myself "you were only 17 then, Kitty, it wasn't that long ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    And I still on occassion use ordinary as opposed to digital cameras, but in my defence its most likely to be one of the disposable ones for a really wild night out when you don't want to risk having your nice, expensive digital camera stolen or filled with beer. Plus, in those situations its kinda fun having to wait to see how the shots turned out without anyone being able to scream "OMG!" and grab the camera and delete the evidence.
    My "decent" camera is a SLR with film - I can't justify a digital camera of similar quality and imo film produces better large scale prints.... but I have both digital & film for "point & shoot" stuff on holiday, etc...
    Free Charmed.

This Mac from 1987 was handed down to me in 1990. It was basically a word processor. It had no hard drive! Just floppy disks. So for the original price of $2500 you could type and play games.

^^heh, i remember those. when i was 9 (1988) we got an apple iigs. i thought it was the most amazing thing ever! iirc, it had drives for both a 5.25" floppy & a 3.5" floppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post
    The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information