Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Street View - Invasion of privacy?

They really need to blur out license plates and faces. I could have sworn I saw faces blurred out, but I forget where I was looking. It might have been the angle that blurred it.

A*O

Apparently they do try to blur faces and licences but some slip through. If you contact Google and give them a heads up they will change it I'm told.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That live local is close to the same thing. I have pulled up all kinds of places on both. but my current place does not show up on Google street! The live local gives a better 'birds eye' aerial view that would be much better for stalkers, kidnappers, psychos, etc. anyway. Combining the two would be like giving them a home/property tour however. yikes!
    Last edited by Sojiita; August 5th, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Why didn't they just print out a copy and send everyone a picture of their house.

I don't like this either.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I don't mind a pic of my house on the internet. I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the possibility that the identities of the people who live there also be revealed.

Example - Say I wanted to show you a pic of my house. In theory I could do a screen grab of the image and from that you would see the address. Link that to a visible car reggo and with a bit of detective work you would be able to find out my name and other details. Hopefully nobody would be even slightly interested but if, say, a psychotroll or a jealous ex (thinking of cloud here) wanted to find me it wouldn't be too difficult I suspect.
    That's what will worry me if it were to come to the UK. My mum, before she married my dad, was married to a guy who used to repeatedly rape and beat her. Thankfully Google does blur out the faces and license plates now then.

A*O

I can see where it would be useful. If you were looking to move to a new neighbourhood or city you could check out the streetscape and see of there's a crackhouse next door or something. (I bet real estate agents hate this!) And I guess it would be fun to revisit old haunts like schools, childhood homes, etc (except the UK isn't on there yet). I just checked out a friend's place in Canberra and one of the kids is cycling out of the front drive but the face is blurred which I think Google does try to do but with so many millions of images a few slip through.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Bronze Member

^ Yep, that's why I first downloaded Google Earth months ago, I thought it would be like what this new feature is now. I tried the 3D 'Local Live' on MSN, and it works in the UK. I managed to check out the place I'm going on holiday next year, looked around the town and that, So something like this is useful in that way.

Anybody know how often they update the street views? Mine appears to be from this spring as my rose bush is in full bloom.

Here's a spooky little story. An old friend of mine's father died recently. He was a wonderful man--eccentric, wise, funny and kind. We all loved him so much. He and his wife literally helped raise many of us kids whose own families were less than charming. I can't tell you how many of us in my old crowd spent more time at that house than their own, all through grammar and high school...even college, in my case.

Well, not long after his death, one of his grieving sons happened to be taking a look at Google's new street view. There, in front of his parents' house, stood his late father--looking right at the camera.

He found it comforting. So do I. And more than a little haunting. What's certain is that his Dad would've loved it.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

my parents' house shows up and the picture was from christmas time because i can see the wreath on the door. my house though is not on yet... not sure how i feel but i guess it's no different than driving by... i'm okay with it i guess.
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

I think it'd be cool to be on the streetview picture! It'll be months or years before it comes here, seeing as how I live in a village in the UK

It should be like the ice-cream van, and play a tune so I know when it's coming.

Gold Member

I think it's AWESOME!!! Yea, Google!!!

Its funny though - my parents just moved to a new house not so long ago away from the city where they used to live. Its a very beautiful, sprawling place in a pretty rural area. When you google their address, it shows a dilapidated shack thats about 1/2 mile away from them. That cracked me up, that if anyone googles them they think they live in that place, haha.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I managed to get a clear view of my neighborhood, but there's not sufficient magnification to really see anything in my street.

I did go and check out my old University town in the UK, and lots of detail is available. Kind of creepy.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah its not like u can see in windows and shit; i love it!

We haven't got it yet & aren't visible from a public road anyway, but our google earth photo is so out of date.... 6 or 7 years by the look of it....
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information