Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: That big-ass 70-inch 1080P TV of yours (and its blu-ray movies)? Already obsolete!

Elite Member

I love my plasma TV. LCDs and LEs give me headaches and I find the picture flat and ugly as well. More resolution isn't better, as far as I'm concerned. It's simply more visual chaos and eye strain.

I'll probably be buying black market plasmas in future.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I ventured into CostCo tonight and looked at the 55" Vizio - I'll be getting that before the month is out. What a great picture! $799 + $100 rebate, can't beat it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    OMG, did you get that TV as a Black Friday purchase, because we bought that same TV on our Black Friday spending spree? It's the best TV ever. Best money I ever spent.

No, we didn't get it for Black Friday, we got it at Wal Mart about 2 weeks ago for $998. We then went back and got a 42 inch Vizio for our bedroom for $498, also a smart TV though not as thin as the larger one.

Just an update on the 4K thing. Remember, 4K TVs have twice the resolution, in each direction of today's 1080 HDTV. So, instead of 1920 pixels across by 1080 down, the 4K tv has about 3,800 pixels across by 2080 down.

Anyway, Best Buy already has these TV sets in its "Magnolia" showroom - that place in the store that looks like a super-rich-person's living room. The store near me had two in it - both by Sony, I think. One of them was playing Taylor Swift's video "Never Getting Back Together". So, it was kind of an underwhelming demo of the technology in the first place.

The TV set was 90 inches diagonally - freaking huge. And it cost $25,000. I still can't get over reading that. I think you could redo your kitchen with all new appliances and cabinets for that price. But that's what it costs to be on the bleeding edge of technology. It's an LED-lit tv, so it also is somehow still supposed to be EnergyStar compliant. Basically, it takes about $58 worth of electricity to run the thing for a year. I guess that's not bad for a TV that's as big as half of some people's walls.

Nobody broadcasts in 4K, so what you do is hook up a dedicated server (PC) to your TV and download 4K content to it. And then play it. How big is a 4K movie? About 160 GB. Here's a problem. If you have a ISP like Comcast, your monthly data cap is about 250 GB. So, that equates to 1.5 movies before you tap out your data allotment.

Something that is complicating this issue is that there is also an entirely new technology of TVs being introduced. These are OLED TVs. If you currently have an LED TV, what you have is an LCD (liquid-crystal display) set that is backlit by LEDs. LED TVs are great in that they use less power, have deeper black colors, and are a lot thinner than LCD displays. But OLEDs are completely different. Their display isn't backlit - the crystals themselves provide both the color and the illumination. And the sets are even thinner - about half a centimeter in thickness. That's like a DVD case in terms of thickness. A lot of cell phones already use OLED technology, but they have finally made their way into TV sets. The screen displays are supposed to be stunning and better than plasma.

The problem is that the new 4K tv sets are not OLED. The new OLED tv sets are 1080 in resolution. And both of these kinds of sets are in the $10,000 range.

I just bought my POS (not really, but in comparison to the hieroglypics you just wrote) 48inch wide screen less than 8 months ago and unless the actors walk into my room and give me a personal PLAY, then I'm just gonna have to settle. I can already see seeds in the grass on football games and how bad the female announcers need to use an exfoliator. I do NOT need anything else. Not now, not ever, no way.

Catch me in about 5 years, though.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    This topic is pure Bloke.
    Pretty much.

fgg

i have a 70 in high def sharp aquuos smart tv and i love it! i could use the 80 in though now that i've seen a few of those...
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i have a 70 in high def sharp aquuos smart tv and i love it! i could use the 80 in though now that i've seen a few of those...
    I think the Sharp Aquos line is great. And they have been in the vanguard of power-efficient, edge-lit TVs. They probably will be one the first companies to market the lower-cost 4K and OLED TV.

I am very interested in the 4K bandwidth problem because it's the kind of issue that could strangle a technology in its infancy. But there will be too many equipment manufacturers and studios who will be pushing for this. As a result, you are going to see even more fiber usage to the home and central-office upgrades by ISPs. Comcast and Verizon will be pushed to open faster pipes and to increase their data limits so that more people will buy more 4K tvs and help spread the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I ventured into CostCo tonight and looked at the 55" Vizio - I'll be getting that before the month is out. What a great picture! $799 + $100 rebate, can't beat it.
    You know, I would not mind a very large tv at this point. As big as one that would fit appropriately in my bedroom. I'm an old movie watcher, not a tv watcher. I like when my people are larger than life like when you're in a movie theatre. Bette Davis, Garbo, General Hospital. I'm going to research a 48" inch.

Mo - don't worry. You should see how much is in the treasury for you. The 3D printer, the other magooey and now the big tv. We have like 15,000 dollars. Is that enough?

Hit By Ban Bus!

The first time I read this, I was rather meh about it. I went looking at laptops yesterday, and they had a 55 inch one on display. OMG, that thing, is amazing, I spent a good 10 minutes watching it. I want one, but I don't want one bad enough to spend $5000. If they start making them in the 40in range, then that is an entirely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Mo - don't worry. You should see how much is in the treasury for you. The 3D printer, the other magooey and now the big tv. We have like 15,000 dollars. Is that enough?
    We have a treasury?

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    The first time I read this, I was rather meh about it. I went looking at laptops yesterday, and they had a 55 inch one on display. OMG, that thing, is amazing, I spent a good 10 minutes watching it. I want one, but I don't want one bad enough to spend $5000. If they start making them in the 40in range, then that is an entirely different story.
    It's going to get cheaper and cheaper. For OLED TVs, they are basically making the screen on an inkjet printer (that sprays organic particles instead of ink). The problem is quality assurance - I've read that for every perfect OLED screen produced, they make 4 that they have to throw away because of flaws. Once the process matures and becomes seamless, OLEDs will be cheap. As an exampl, the first active-matrix (bright) displays in laptops about 15 years ago were super expensive - because it was very difficult to make a perfect display that didn't have at least one flaw. They were the most expensive component in the laptop and were the reason that active-matrix laptops cost about $1,300, while passive matrix ones cost about $700-800. But they got a LOT cheaper and very quickly.

"We" have a treasury to buy you these electronics. Just a few more months till Xmas....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information