Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Amazon's Kindle

Oh. Where do you turn it on? I left it plugged in overnight. Then it went black. Then I lost all confidence. I shall read the instructions. It did not come with any, other than plug it in & use the yellow arrow to unlock it. That vanished.
    Thanks, Novce you are a sweetie!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Oh. Where do you turn it on? I left it plugged in overnight. Then it went black. Then I lost all confidence. I shall read the instructions. It did not come with any, other than plug it in & use the yellow arrow to unlock it. That vanished.
    Thanks, Novce you are a sweetie!
    Ok, on the bottom of mine slightly right of centre there is a slidey-switch that I move to the right & release to turn it on.

My 71 yo mother got one for her birthday McJag & loves it, so I'm frustrated for you that you're having issues!

I found the operating guides for you on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200487900
    Hopefully you'll find the right one for your kindle!

Is it a normal one or is it a kindle fire? That might be the difference?
    Last edited by Novice; December 18th, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Ok, on the bottom of mine slightly right of centre there is a slidey-switch that I move to the right & release to turn it on.

My 71 yo mother got one for her birthday McJag & loves it, so I'm frustrated for you that you're having issues!

I found the operating guides for you on amazon Amazon.co.uk Help: Kindle Documentation
    Hopefully you'll find the right one for your kindle!

Is it a normal one or is it a kindle fire? That might be the difference?
    Umm- did I mention I am 85?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How is everyone liking the Kindle Fire if you got one from Christmas?

Help!

My kindle keyboard recently updated its software (to 4.3 or whatever the most recent one is), but now when I load .mobi files to the documents folder (as normal) it doesn't show them.
    Interestingly enough, it has archived all the books I've purchased and when I try to in archive them it says "downloading" then once it's finished refuses to show them.

So, at the moment I have a v expensive piece of plastic....

If its knackered, I'm going to spend 60 on a color screen non-kindle-thing that one of my colleagues has.... But it's just pissing me off. Worked fine a week ago!!!

*is a nextbook comparable with a mac?
    Last edited by Novice; January 9th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Free Charmed.

I broke down and bought myself a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch for Christmas, and I am loving it!!!!
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Help!

My kindle keyboard recently updated its software (to 4.3 or whatever the most recent one is), but now when I load .mobi files to the documents folder (as normal) it doesn't show them.
    Interestingly enough, it has archived all the books I've purchased and when I try to in archive them it says "downloading" then once it's finished refuses to show them.

So, at the moment I have a v expensive piece of plastic....

If its knackered, I'm going to spend 60 on a color screen non-kindle-thing that one of my colleagues has.... But it's just pissing me off. Worked fine a week ago!!!

*is a nextbook comparable with a mac?
    I wish I could help, Nov. Which model of the Kindle do you have? I have a Kindle Fire, but I'm not sure it's the same OS as the others? It didn't come with a manual, & things have gone smoothly so far so I haven't ventured very far into the deep underworld of the device itself yet.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I found this on a mobile forum. Maybe the books aren't supposed to be in the Docs folder? But this doesn't help the archives issue.

SOLVED: Not seeing books on Kindle Fire HD

EDIT: I found the solution to my problem while writing the post. I'm leaving the description below in case it helps anyone else.

SOLUTION: The Kindle Fire HD doesn't seem to support books in subfolders of the "Books" folder on the device. Put the .mobi files in the root of /Books.

I've got Calibre 0.8.69. I have enabled the beta drivers and am able to send books to the Fire HD via MTP.

I've confirmed the .mobi files are in the "Books" folder on the Fire HD. They are in subfolders with the authors name.

However, the books don't show up on the Fire HD anywhere. I've looked in books and docs and I have rebooted the device several times.

I have successfully sent the books to the Fire HD using the @kindle.com email address. Those show up in the doc section on the Fire HD. Interestingly these appear to show up on the HD in the root of the "Books" folder with names like B003SX0XY4_EBOK.prc and B004MME2OC_EBOK.prc.

I didn't have this kind of trouble with the origional Kindle Fire.

Am I the only one? Is this just how the Fire HD works?
    SOLVED: Not seeing books on Kindle Fire HD - MobileRead Forums
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Thanks Waterslide

i have a kindle keyboard. I stored the book in the same place I always do (I've done this many times before). The only difference I can think is that it had a recent update so I'm going to install the old software tonight...

i need to email them about it but anything archived isn't opening after download either (as well as the disappearing books), so I may have other issues.
    Free Charmed.

Hm...I hope you have some luck after downloading the old software, but that just really sucks. I had the Kindle app on my android and it would do all kinds of strange things, I'd lose books or ones that I'd gotten rid of would suddenly reappear.

Restored factory settings since the turn-off/turn-on didn't work. Now just reloading my books (yet again....) At least I can see them this time.
    Free Charmed.

I had to reset my Kindle twice. I have the old school first gen I got an ipad a little over two years ago and I downloaded the Kindle app for it and use it exclusively now.

Welli spent ages putting new books on & then had to put them in collections - still working on that!
    I've seen a nextbook & I think that'll be my next replacement.
    Free Charmed.

I am enjoying my Kindle, but racking up a big bill with Amazon each month.

Ha! I feel you on the Amazon bill, I got the kindle Fire HD too, but the smaller regular size. I love it. My only complaint is that it's pretty heavy, a lot more than the regular kindles (my husband got the Paperwhite), and because of the weight, it's not as easy to hold it comfortably while lying in bed reading.

But I love the color display, how I can surf the web in color, and watch netflix movies even. It's pretty awesome, no problems yet.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information