Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Amazon's Kindle

Which would do more? The Kindle Fire or an IPad? I think it would be nice to have movies on a mobile device, and be able to read books, or watch music videos. But it sounds like you can't have to many before using up your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Even if I didnt have a third generation Kindle Id wait until reviews came in before checking any of these new ones out.

Kindle Fire - More than a Tablet - Full Color 7" Multi-Touch Display with Wi-Fi
    Fire doesnt use e-ink anyway. Ive lost interest. I know, I know, its impossible to do that and play movies and so on. Look, I dont want all that. I want a book reader. If I wanted all that Id get a tablet. So for the time being my Kindle will do just fine.

What is e-ink?

If anyone ends up buying a Kindle Fire, I would be intereseted in hearing how you like it, or don't like it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    What is e-ink?
    You know Ive been trying to find a legitimate answer to this question? I dont know how to put it but basically it simulates actual paper so that its much easier on the eyes as opposed to an LCD screen.

Gold Member

Okay, it was just announced that Kindle Fire will have Hulu+ streaming on its tablet.

Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet to allow Hulu+ TV streaming - latimes.com

My sister has an iPad and she absolutely loves it. I have used it and it is really, really nice. But I was seriously considering getting the new B&N tablet because I already have the Nook Color which I love. But I also know people who have the Amazon Kindle, are members of Amazon Prime and love it.

Ugh, iPad, Kindle Fire and Nook tablet. I can't choose. Seriously, I want one I just don't know which one.

I want one too, but I have a problem with wi-fi access. We live in the sticks and don't have wireless. We were on dialup still until a year ago. I now use a modem from out local cell phone company on our desktop that is high speed, but it has a 5GM/monthly limit. So streaming or downloading a movie would kill a bunch of my data usage for the month, and I sure don't want to go over. Just the normal usage we have at home for myself, my husband and 2 girls at home for school work, facebook, ect,....we come close to our usage amount most months.

With the Kindle Fire, if I was at a friends house and downloaded a movie to the Fire with their service, wouldn't that be on my Fire and I could watch it at home, or whenever/where ever? And I wouldn't need the internet to view it over after it has been downloaded? I sent an e-mail to Kindle, and they acted like I had to have wi-fi to do anything on the Fire. I thought about getting it and downloading/purchasing a few tv shows/movies to watch in the evenings, or on the weekends. I just wouldn't be able to stream things live,...I would have to get purchase them on the unit when service was available, and then use it as a player to watch the stuff at home later or when I am out and about. I hope I am understanding correctly how the unit works,...I do want to know before I would invest in it. It would be nice if it had 3G access, but then you would have to pay a monthly service fee, which my wallet isn't ready for at the time.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have 2 girls in all kinds of sports, and I think a Fire would be nice to watch and play with while sitting around waiting for practices to get over. I spend a TON of time sitting in my Jeep in parking lots, and along side soccer fields and volleyball/basketball courts. It would be a nice distraction,...but I want to make sure it will work for me before buying it. At least with the Fire you have just a once a year fee of $79,...but with the IPad you have a monthly service fee for 3G access that I heard can run around $40-$50/month.

I'm posting from my Kindle Fire right now. It just came this evening so I'm still getting used to it, but so far so good. The size is a about right -smaller than an iPad but bigger than a phone. I haven't started reading on it yet since my son grabbed it for a few hours but the traditional with the e-ink will be what I use for reading anyway.

Jade, you would really need WiFi access to get the most out of the Fire. Amazon uses the Cloud for media storage so in order to access videos, etc you'd need WiFi to download to the device.

Thanks for the info, Jexxifer.

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly and that I can do this on the the Fire.

I know there isn't a lot of memory on the Kindle,....but I could save a few movies on the Fire and watch those without wi-fi access, couldn't I? I thought maybe I could just use the Fire as a mobile movie player once I had downloaded and saved a few movies on the hard drive. Once the movie has been purchased and saved onto your unit, you should be able to play and watch it whenever or where ever you want, over and over, right?

I just want to make sure of that fact before buying.

[QUOTE=lizzybabe;2582754
    My sister has an iPad and she absolutely loves it. I have used it and it is really, really nice. But I was seriously considering getting the new B&N tablet because I already have the Nook Color which I love. But I also know people who have the Amazon Kindle, are members of Amazon Prime and love it.

[/QUOTE]

I just tried out the new Nook a couple of nights ago. That unit kicks ass. As far as I can tell the screen is every good as the iPAD in terms of resolution, brightness, color depth, and contrast. However, it is substantially smaller, so if you need your photos or movies to be big, it's going to be a problem.

A review on ComputerWorld says that the Nook's display is superior to Kindle Fire, but I've never seen Kindle Fire (I don't think).

The only app running on the Nook was Angry Birds. It looked, and played, beautifully, and I had to drag my kids away. The browser was very fast and HuffingtonPost (which uses a lot of embedded photos) loaded as fast as it does on my wife's iPAD2, as far as I could tell.

Not sure if it matters, but there is no camera on the front or back of the Nook. I'm positive about it not having a viewer-facing camera, but am not entirely sure about not having one on the back.

Thanks for the info, Jexxifer.

I know there isn't a lot of memory on the Kindle,....but I could save a few movies on the Fire and watch those without wi-fi access, couldn't I? I thought maybe I could just use the Fire as a mobile movie player once I had downloaded and saved a few movies on the hard drive. Once the movie has been purchased and saved onto your unit, you should be able to play and watch it whenever or where ever you want, over and over, right?
    JadeStar, if you want to watch movies on the device, pay particular attention to whether there is removable storage. The Kindle has none, which means the memory you have is all the you are going to have. So, you would either be moving movies on or off the device to free up space, or you would be using the cloud - but remember the cloud only works if you have WiFi access. So, if you are on the road, you would only have the movies stored in base memory. I believe that hi-def movies take up about 2 GB per movie.

The Nook, by contrast, allows you to insert microSD cards to add to storage. And the unit can recognize up to a 32 GB card. That means that you would be able to store 16 hi-def movies on one card, and could swap cards in and out while not worrying about WiFi access.

There is one thing I'm kind of concerned about with both the Kindle and Nook and I haven't resolved it yet. Right now, I've seen that they play movies through NetFlix, which is a custom app for streaming access. I don't think you can use that app to play a locally stored movie. So, you would need to a) install a separate player, and b) ensure that the codecs for both your player, and your movies match. A codec is a translater that understands whether your movie is a MP4, a WMV, a VOB, etc.

More good info! Thank you, Mohandas!

I do wish I had the wi-fi access at home. Then I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kindle Fire. Not sure now,....especially knowing that the Fire only has 6 GB of memory for you to access. The other 2 GB is for the OS and future updates. Soooo,...if a standard hi-def movie is around 2 GB,...I could only store 2-3 movies on the unit. This is good to know in advance. I had wondered how much space a normal movie would eat up.

I know one of the big complaints with the Fire was the small amount of memory, and that there was not a slot to insert a SD card for additonal space. I guess it is one of the features they left out to be able to market the Fire for the $199.

More good info! Thank you, Mohandas!

I do wish I had the wi-fi access at home. Then I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kindle Fire. Not sure now,....especially knowing that the Fire only has 6 GB of memory for you to access. The other 2 GB is for the OS and future updates. Soooo,...if a standard hi-def movie is around 2 GB,...I could only store 2-3 movies on the unit. This is good to know in advance. I had wondered how much space a normal movie would eat up.

I know one of the big complaints with the Fire was the small amount of memory, and that there was not a slot to insert a SD card for additonal space. I guess it is one of the features they left out to be able to market the Fire for the $199.
    You're welcome. By the way, I went to Barnes & Noble's online store, and they have an app there (for $2) called Movie Gallery. From what I can see, it let's you play MP4 movies on your Nook tablet. So, if you already bought something from the Apple Store and iTunes, I think you could put it on the micro SD card and play it here, also. However, I'm not sure if DRM (digital rights management) would get in the way.

Also, if you go to the site of the company that makes Movie Gallery, you can buy a downloadable app (Movie Catalyst) - for $10 - that will convert your existing DVDs into the MP4 format that you use with Movie Gallery. So, for $12 you can leverage your DVD collection to make a bunch of movies that you can play any time on the Nook.

I will probably buy this device either tonight or tomorrow (I already have one reserved). So, in a couple of days, I will let you know whether this actually works out the way it's described - good or bad.

Great! It is always nice to hear first hand how something works from an actual user.

I want to get a Fire so badly, but not having a wi-fi connection to the net at home, I just don't think I would get the full benefit from the product. I so wish at times we didn't live out in the country. It truely limits us from a ton of the modern products that are out on the market now.

Great! It is always nice to hear first hand how something works from an actual user.

I want to get a Fire so badly, but not having a wi-fi connection to the net at home, I just don't think I would get the full benefit from the product. I so wish at times we didn't live out in the country. It truely limits us from a ton of the modern products that are out on the market now.
    I bought it (Nook Tablet) last night, and so far, I love it. My wife has some kind of account with Barnes & Noble, so I got a $25 discount, which brought the total price to $237. Just an idea if anyone is thinking of getting it.

When I got home, I synched it with my wi-fi equipment. Then, I logged into NetFlix (already installed). Because my kids were with me, I played Toy Story 3. The display was gorgeous. Extremely sharp hi-def picture, and no artifacts or missed frames. Great contrast ratio, too.

I bought a couple of games, too. A puzzle game and first-person racing game. They look beautiful and play really well. At least as good as an iPad, but remember, the screen is a LOT smaller.

I'll provide more updates as I get them, but this device is great.

Anyone end up buying a Kindle Fire? Just wanted to get some user info.

Anyone end up buying a Kindle Fire? Just wanted to get some user info.
    I read something funny about the Kindle Fire a few days ago. They said that there is no way to secure the device with a password, which would kind of suck if you don't want people picking it up and snooping at your stuff. Also, it apparently shows your recent browsing history in a REALLY obvious way, so if you were looking at p*rn or something, and a friend or relative used it after you, they would know about it.

However, an advantage for the Kindle is the ability to easily buy or rent a movie off of the huge Amazon online store, which is something the Nook doesn't have.

But that may be countered somewhat by the fact that Nook has NetFlix and Hulu Plus preinstalled and they seem to run flawlessly.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information