Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Amazon's Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    But it doesn't say that it the review it says that the ones youve already downloaded (& presumably paid for) disappear... " the back issues you previously downloaded are also lost—for good."
    Yes, and the review is an exaggeration of what you lose. It is not the first review that gets things wrong or exaggerates for effect.

Per the Amazon help page:
    Once you cancel a subscription, you will stop receiving new issues immediately and you will no longer be able to re-download back issues, and a refund for the remaining balance of your subscription will be issued if applicable.
    This matches my own personal experience and the experiences of others. I didn't lose any issues on my Kindle, I simply lost the ability to re-download old issues.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Elite Member

OK, I have a really stupid question, but today is the first day I have considered a Kindle because the stack of books beside my bed is getting enormous and I would love to clean up.

Does the Kindle also operate as a web browser? And can you check email on it?

^ I beleive you can check you email on it.

Can you back it up on to a computer or external hard-drive? I'm seriously considering getting one - and its good to know that if I do subscribe to a magazine that I won't loose any back issues, if/when I cancel.
    Free Charmed.

If you get 3G wi-fi you can look at websites etc. I believe you can Facebook but I've never tried (got facebook on my Blackberry).

You can back up by copy and paste from the Kindle, Novice, you can also put your own stuff on there too (you have to convert the doc first). But, I've never had any magazinesubscriptions so I'm unsure if you can back those up.

I bought a kindle 2 days ago!
    I bought one book & downloaded it to my mac first & saved it on my hard drive prior to loading on my kindle.
    I've got done free books from Gütenberg and I've got some of my knitting patterns on because it reads PDFs, no conversion necessary!

The thing that sold it for me was the screen, I had a look at one of my colleagues prior to purchase. I was blown away!
    Free Charmed.

I finally got one too - it was either that or give myself a hernia carrying around the book i was reading.
    Now it's one of the few things I never leave home without. Lock my keys in the house several times a month, but never forget my kindle! I think I'm in love...
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Lolz!

I have found that I can .pdf my knitting patterns so I have those on it was well as normal books, free books from Gutenburg.org & some audio books.
    Also because it doesn't have a trackpad my cat can't interfere with it! Unlike my mac.....
    Free Charmed.

If you convert your files to mobibook (.mobi) then you can change the font size.

You can change the font size anyway, or closeup on certain bits of text.

I just realised that I can put my workshop manuals on it!!! Whoppee!
    Free Charmed.

LOL - Best Device Ever. You have no idea how happy I was when I realised I could download pictures to it to take into the hairdresser. Yes, I am disproportionately excited by the smallest things...!
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Has anyone seen the newest Kindle Fire touch? Looks like you can download or stream in color tv shows and movies, music and videos, as well as apps and books. I have been thinking about getting a Kindle for awhile now,....but this sounds more up my alley. I enjoy reading, but this would give me the best of both worlds. I might wait a bit after it comes out in November to see if there are any bugs to work out with the system.

Even if I didnt have a third generation Kindle Id wait until reviews came in before checking any of these new ones out.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Co...pf_rd_i=507846
    Fire doesnt use e-ink anyway. Ive lost interest. I know, I know, its impossible to do that and play movies and so on. Look, I dont want all that. I want a book reader. If I wanted all that Id get a tablet. So for the time being my Kindle will do just fine.

I'd've loved my kindle to show color because of the craft stuff (knitting patterns, design stuff, etc) I have on there, but the streaming stuff I can live without
    Free Charmed.

Id also like color for the book covers and even screensavers. Speaking of, wonder if theyre customizable in the new ones.

I have a 3rd gen (now called Kindle Keyboard) I got earlier this year and have a Fire on pre-order. I'm keeping my Kindle for the majority of my reading and wanted a Fire (or something that could perform those functions) for other things. Amazon has a 30-day return policy so there's minimal risk if I totally hate the device.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information