Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Amazon's Kindle

I love books too but I run out of space and a kindle is much more portable than a ginormous book.

Oh, I'm going to have to hide mine from my son. He hates kindles. thinks they are destroying "REAL" books. Well, he'll hate it until I load a book for him on the kindle and then he'll try and steal it, the little bastardo!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

i'm looking at kindle and thinking of getting one. it says it has wi-fi. so i can pick up wi-fi anywhere? does anyone know?

I have the one with free Wi-Fi and so far everywhere I turn it on it picks up a 3G signal, updates my books and downloads whichever new ones I have waiting. I havent tried the web browser so I cant speak on that but for books it works great.

Mine was just delivered yesterday. I was really hesitant but so far I love it. The screen is surprisingly page-like. I got a cover so it feels more like holding a paper book.

One of my co-workers brought a Kindle online 6 months ago. Now about 10 people in my work place have one! Including me. I love my Kindle!

A co-workers Kindle's screen stopped working. Amazon sent out a new Kindle and asked her to return the old one within 30 days. A few days after contacting Amazon, she had a new Kindle.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    One of my co-workers brought a Kindle online 6 months ago. Now about 10 people in my work place have one! Including me. I love my Kindle!

A co-workers Kindle's screen stopped working. Amazon sent out a new Kindle and asked her to return the old one within 30 days. A few days after contacting Amazon, she had a new Kindle.
    that happened to me too, found a few dead pixels and had a new one within a week! and i live in canada!

I've had no trouble at all with mine. Love it dearly!

A little less than a month in and I find I read much faster on a Kindle than a printed book. The only very minor peeve is not having page numbers. Somehow it doesn't seem as satisfying to say I'm 62% finished.

When You Cancel Your Magazine Subscription on Your Kindle, Your Back Issues Disappear Too

By Davey Alba, Apr 18, 2011 10:00 PM
    Consider this to be your dismaying PSA of the day: Apparently, if you're a Kindle owner with a magazine subscription, and you decide to stop subscribing, the back issues you previously downloaded are also lost—for good.
    That's right—there is no way to retrieve what you already paid for and supposedly, already own. To top it all off, there is also no existing way to transfer old issues of your subscription to a new device before you cancel.
    So it looks like if you chose a digital subscription for The New Yorker over its print version, you're pretty much stuck continuing the service—unless, of course, you're willing to lose your entire collection; both future and past issues.
    Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

^^
    fuck that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

SVZ

that's the way it should be. youre buying a subscription for access to the catalogues.

you can buy magazine issues individually for more and keep them on your device permanently...it's just sensationalist reporting.

and it's not like when you buy a physical magazine subscription they send you all the old ones either!

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    that's the way it should be. youre buying a subscription for access to the catalogues.

you can buy magazine issues individually for more and keep them on your device permanently...it's just sensationalist reporting.

and it's not like when you buy a physical magazine subscription they send you all the old ones either!
    Nope, but you do get to keep the ones you DID pay for.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Nope, but you do get to keep the ones you DID pay for.
    Any issues still on your Kindle are yours. What you lose is the ability to re-download your old issues.

It's similar to throwing out an old print issue - it's gone. With the Kindle subscription, as long as the subscription is active, if you "throw out" an old issue, you can re-download it.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

But it doesn't say that it the review it says that the ones youve already downloaded (& presumably paid for) disappear... " the back issues you previously downloaded are also lost—for good."
    Free Charmed.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information