Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Amazon's Kindle

I'm really glad I got the 7" Kindle Fire instead of the 8.9", because I'm a spaz and drop it on my face at least one time per night while reading in bed, so I think I'll be getting fractionally less brain damage that way. I was completely anti-Kindle in the past, but I admit it's won me over. It will never truly take the place of cracking open a sweet-smelling paper book, but it's been really nice on my back. Just lugging around two paperback books was starting to get to me (along with all my other junk), so I'm trying to simplify. I also can buy books that I would not want to put on my bookcase (sorry Brandi Glanville!) and they won't be taking up space. But it's perfect for my ADD...or not, because I can read, go online, play games, watch movies, listen to music pretty much all at once. And I love that X-ray function way too much.

It's funny, I got it for Christmas, and every time I pull it out in public someone asks me about it, which surprises me because I feel like a luddite most of the time. A few days after Christmas I was sitting in a restaurant and this couple with two boys were being seated next to me, and as the mom walked by she said, "Ooh, what kind of tablet is that?" I told her and her husband kind of half-jokingly said, "You're not getting one." I felt bad, but it was kind of funny. I don't think the guy was trying to be a complete dick to his wife, but he had that post-Christmas "I'm never spending money again" kind of thing going.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I got the HD 8.9 inch, 32 gig. I haven't ever used any other Kindle, so I didn't notice a size or weight difference, personally. I never read in bed or I would be up all night. lol But it sits nicely on the arm of my couch, and I read while watching/listening to tv. I occasionally surf on it, but I seem to be just reading at this point. I wonder how many books it will end up holding? I did download one movie just to see the quality, and your right, movies look wonderful on it.

I had told my youngest I would get her one for Christmas, but she didn't think she would use it. She wanted Beats instead. But now I have to about threaten her at times to get it away from her. lol I remind her it is MY toy!!

I'll admit I probably don't even know what all the thing does,....but what is that X-Ray function. I see it on there, but not sure what it is or does.
    Waterslide likes this.

Well, I debated whether I wanted more screen or more storage, and I opted for the storage. At one point, Amazon had the 8.9" 16GB on sale for the same price as the 7" 32GB and I almost went with the bigger screen. I know what you mean about reading in bed JadeStar, it keeps me up too long, but then I start falling asleep and that's usually when it lands on my face. lol I was surprised how nice the movies look and sound. I even like watching my youtube videos on it as well. I don't know what I'd do if I had to share mine! lol
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

What is that X-ray funtion? What does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    What is that X-ray funtion? What does it do?
    If you're reading a book and you click on the middle of the page a menu comes up and the 4th option over says X-Ray. If you click on that it gives you a long list of characters or keywords. You can click on the click on the character and it will give you a description of the person or a definition of the keyword. I imagine it would come in really handy for Tolstoy actually. lol

But I really like it for the Amazon Prime movies. It's great for me, because I'm one of those annoying people that can't sit through a movie without wondering where I've seen someone before. It pauses the movie and takes you directly to the imdb cast list and bios, so I kind of love that.

Kindle has yet to break me. I'm staunchly books. Though I did just buy a 900+ page hardback and my soul (and back) groaned a little.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread Information