Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Anti virus suggestions

Default Anti virus suggestions

I saw on the other thread that people use Avast. I have never heard of it. I just looked it up, it's free.

Why do you like it? Better for you than Norton or McAfee?

I have free McAfee. It is THE most annoying software. You can't set the day and time to run scans and updates, it does it when it feels like it.

I'd love to get rid of it, so speak your minds.

I have spyware doctor for virus and spyware. It's $29, but well worth it, because I have not had problem since I installed it, and I still got infected with others.

I have norton still got a virus a few weeks back that my computer detected thankfully. McAfee and Norton are not the best a computer shop recommended Kaskpersky and said it is the best right now available.

I've been doing pretty well with AVG, my (computer nerd) husband recommends it.

AVG also has a free version online and is good too.

I used AVG for years...and loved it. Then tried Avast! and it caught stuff AVG had been letting in for god knows how long. I highly recommend Avast!. Also, make sure to install Spybot Search & Destroy as well as Ad-Aware. Gotta kill all those bugs!

AVG has always been my favorite but losing ground with the last couple of releases, I think I may go Avast as well. I wouldn't put Norton or McAfee on a machine, they are resource hogs, hard to clear out when you uninstall and I used AVG for years to clean up what they missed. Friends don't let friends use Norton!!!

If you do change to a different antivirus MAKE SURE you uninstall the first one completely. McAfee is especially bad for complete system hosing possibilities if you try to install another while it's active.

My favorite spyware program is from malwarebytes.org. Just use SOMETHING (and NOT the one that the random popup from nowhere says you have to download or else your computer will self-destruct!! Dear God I have to clean those out of my parents computer a few times a year).
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

If you do change to a different antivirus MAKE SURE you uninstall the first one completely. McAfee is especially bad for complete system hosing possibilities if you try to install another while it's active.
    I have AVG and pay for a more advanced version. I also use Spybot and Ad-aware. I'm thinking of installing Avast after reading the recommendations on this thread.

After reading the advice above, does that mean I need to uninstall AVG in order to install Avast and then reinstall AVG? If I uninstall AVG, I am concerned about reinstalling it, and then having to repay my money to AVG. I hope this makes sense!

I've used Avast along with Ad-Aware for 4 years now with no problems.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with the yearly $50 subscriptions to Norton anti-virus which didn't always catch things. Waste of money.

Thread Information