Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop suggestions....

Default Laptop suggestions....

So, my mom and I were thinking about investing in a new laptop. I currently have a frickin' 9 pound Dell inspiron 1720 as my primary computer... it's slow, I hate the operating system, it's so heavy, and frequently freezes up on me. I'm kind of leaning towards getting an apple macbook, but I wanted some input because I know zilch about laptops... I've used the mac os before on the computers at school and I'm impressed for the most part with the fluidity and user friendliness of macs, but I've never personally owned one so I wanted to know if there are any downsides to macs... and if anyone had other suggestions.

Isn't there a big difference in prices between a macbook and a regular laptop? I know when I compared a while back I got a better laptop cheaper than the macbook. Although I wanted the mac I couldn't afford it.

Yes, the macbooks start at around $999... I could get a refurbished one for about $100 cheaper, but since my mom says it's a good investment I'm trying to not think about the price. I went into Best Buy yesterday to inquire about my iPod and stopped by the Apple section and played around on the different models for a bit. The macbook air is ridiculous.. price-wise and in terms of functionality.. it seems pretentious, but then again I don't have a whole lot of experience with macbooks. I neglected to mention that I did own an iBook wayyyy back when they first came out. I dug it out of my closet just now and I'm thinking of getting that one updated and maybe using that... I do remember that I fucked around with it and might have messed up some files.

we love our macbook. i grew up with apples & am so glad that i convinced my hubby to go with an apple.

i've heard nothing but crap about vista & we weren't willing to chance it. ours runs on mac os x.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I am a complete computer IDIOT (yea, I know you know) so...

Last Xmas hubby gave me a HP Pavillion dv6000. Which is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the piece of shit I had previously. I would recommend this HP completely.

No clue on price, or anything else. But its pretty good in my book. Which isn't saying much...

Every person I've ever known who once has had an apple, would never go back to a regular one. Lucky for me I've never tried one, cause I can't get over the price. I can't imagine going below a 17-inch screen. And from what I can tell I can get a similar regular laptop for almost a third of the price. But considering the trouble I've had with all my computers maybe it would be worth it. I don't know.

I have an HP, and it's pretty good for a cheapish PC.

My husband has one of the new MacBooks, Penny Lane. It's really nice. He went from Dell to HP to Apple and doesn't regret it. The Mac will probably last a really long time, and it should have decent resale value if he ever wants to part with it.

Now he's trying to convince me that I need an iMac.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I love my macbook, I don't think there are any downsides to owning one.

The new Aluminum mac book.
    I wouldn't get the white base model, go up at least one notch for the aluminum and the new mousepad.

It rocks.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

get a macbook.
    i hate vista. and my last laptop - a dell inspiron - turned out to be a huge piece of crap and turned me off pc forever. i love my macbook to pieces and i have yet to discover any downsides and will never buy anything but apple if i can help it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

I've got a MacBook and Sony Vaio - they are both great in their own ways, although Mac makes the finest arts software in the world and their on board cam is excellent. Sound quality of Itunes is better, etc. Some of the games I like are only available on Windows, but now you can get Windows on Mac. Macs are super expensive.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite on sale for 699.00. It's about 4yos now and I've never had any problems with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I have no comments about Vista. Never seen it, never used it. My laptop has XP.

Vista is what finally prompted me to want to try a MAC.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

^^ Me too. So, I went and bought a MacBook... not the aluminum one but the basic white one.. I added iWork and Office for Mac because I couldn't decide which one was best.. and considering a lot of my professors post documents online in .doc format I just wanted to play it safe and get any software I think I'd need down the road. It's supposed to get delivered on the 25th.. I can't wait! I must admit that I am having major post-decisional dissonance, mainly because I don't know if I made the best choice in terms of the price paid, but we'll see. Thanks for your suggestions!

I just want to say: this macbook better come with a fucking dildo attachment or something... all the damn people that have died and volcanoes that have erupted to get it to me better be worth it. Jesus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information