Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Resident Evil 5, anyone getting it this Friday?

Default Resident Evil 5, anyone getting it this Friday?

One of the more high profile video games around, Resident Evil 5, is being released for the 360 and PS3 this Friday. After a few delays, it is a much anticipated title from Resident Evil fans. Is anyone out there going to get it?

The reviews have so far seemed pretty good. IGN gave it the highest score so far, a 9.0. Gamepro gave it a 4.5/5.0. The lowest score was a 7/10 from Eurogamer.

After playing the downloadable demo, and reading some of the reviews as well as comments from those who played the demo, my initial excitement has been tamed quite a bit from just a few weeks ago.

Here are my issues with the demo:

-There is no 'run and gun,' meaning you cannot shoot while running, a staple of first person type shooters. You must stop in order to aim and shoot, which means that you are constantly having to back up, turn around, and shoot if enemies get too close. Now the thing about this is, I realize that the RE series has always been no 'run and gun.' And it never bothered me before, but for some reason it really was bothersome during this demo.

-The controls are very awkward. Moving your character, messing around with the inventory, and controlling the camera angles is a very hectic affair especially with multiple zombies on you.

-The worst part about the demo is your partner, Sheeva. Even if you play only single player, you must play with this character at all times (I believe she 'stays' with you throughout the game). Now for a two player online co-op, sure, this is fun. But I think it was an extreme miscalculation for the game developers to have her throughout the game. Sheeva was constantly getting separated from me, and getting hurt. This meant I had to go all the way back to where she was trapped, waste my herbs on her to heal her. This really distracts from the smooth flow of the gameplay. I would be curious to know when the developers first thought of putting in this character. Was it because of the 'racism' charges brought against the game?

I will say the graphics in the demo were simply stunning on my PS3(though the 360 seemed to have an edge in comparison screens). As someone who enjoyed playing the previous versions, I may well end up getting it, but my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened.

Well, I don't like the controls at all, it reminds me of the original RE that was stiff as hell, the new one seems so stiff. And then the camera angles..I was honestly surprised that this would even be an issue with a NEW game.

I only played the demo coop online, so I did not have that issue. I played it on the 360, and the graphics were amazing. I do not know if this would be enough for me to buy it though. I am thinking I should save the money for a different game, or who knows.

My son has been raving about it for some time so I imagine he will get it.

No, I hated resident evil 4.

i tried the demo and i found it utterly impossible to do anything. The camera angles, the movement, going through the inventory... it was ridiculous. I spent half the time trying to get my character to reload or switch weapons with the camera looking at the floor and zombies munching on me... even shooting was a pain in the ass.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I agree Grimmlok, controls are wretched and confusing. I'm still debating whether to buy or rent this.

O.K., so I broke down and got this game today, since I waited so long. I haven't bought a game in so long with the finances being tight and all, usually I bum games off my friends, but decided to splurge.

I have to admit, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, in fact I will have to take back some of my criticisms. I've so far played through 3 chapters so far, and from what I've played so far it's actually pretty good.

The 'run and gun' issue is still annoying. Which is odd since the series never had it but for some reason it really is annoying here. I think it's because other aspects of the control are not very well executed, the characters are slow to move, there is no quick 180 degree turn and run and when there's a bunch of enemies all up on you it is very frustrating. Also, unlike previous RE games accessing the inventory does not pause the game.

Your partner Sheva is actually pretty good with decent A.I. She doesn't get in the way like that Ashley character did. Sheva does a good job of covering for you and watching your back, and isn't as bad as I though it would be.

My son liked the game, graphics he said were very good, he and a friend beat the game in a day, but said it can be played over again as a different character.

My brother got it. I could hear him screaming all the way across the house... I guess he had the same issue with the controls that Grimm did.

I finished it few days ago, and I actually loved it. The camera angles are kind of weird, which is really annoying, and one of the stupid villians is pretty awful.

ya'll are racist too
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

IMO, the demo looked sweet but the location itself just strayed away from the series. Gameplay overrall is awesome and the AI is stellar. Depending on console, the controls may be the main problem. Im going to wait untll this comes out for PC, which may be a long ass time.

My son bought it on the release date for Xbox360 & he LOVES it!
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Thread Information