Thread: Microsoft Wireless Media Keyboard problems

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem with their wireless keyboard. All keys function as they should EXCEPT the volume +/- keys. Very frustrating. I've googled this and it seems that other have the same issues with Microsoft Keyboards. From what I understand it has something to do with the HID (Humane Interface something or other) I don't really want to mess around with the registry or other settings. Anyone here have any answers??

And I'm running XP Pro SP3.....
    Last edited by Tati; January 18th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.

have you gotten the updated drivers, all windows updates, USB updates etc? did you uninstall the software for your previous keyboard if there was any?
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Yes, I've done all of that. My old keyboard just came with the computer so there wasn't any software to uninstall. Thanks!

This is the one I use. Maybe uninstall and reinstall the software it comes with? I have the Microsoft 6000

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    This is the one I use. Maybe uninstall and reinstall the software it comes with? I have the Microsoft 6000
    I did that, too. No luck.

Software Download

don't know what you currently have, check here and see if it's more current than what is installed now.

another thing, check your system via the Control Panel, Install/Uninstall Programs and see if there is any other software (intellipoint, hp wireless keyboard or something like that). Uninstall whatever is there that you are SURE relates to keyboard, and reinstall the most current.

another way to make sure your device AND DRIVER are completely removed to reinstall clean, is to go to your system device manager. Go to keyboard, see what is listed, when you right click the keyboard(s) shown, DON'T hit uninstall there. Instead select properties, then driver, THEN uninstall.

Personally, I do BOTH control panel and device manager uninstalls when I am having grief with hardware. In theory, upon restart it should redetect the keyboard. If it doesn't likely there is something wrong with the keyboard anyway.
    Last edited by Corsair; January 21st, 2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: add more crap.

I was able to figure this problem out by consulting a few computer tech boards. It now works perfectly. Apparently some HID service that should show as "started" in the registry was disabled due to some drivers that were in the wrong place. If anyone wants to know exactly what to do in case they have this problem in the future please let me know and I'll post it on here. Apparently this can happen to any wireless keyboard regardless of the brand. I was reading about it and others using Logitech and some others couldn't adjust their volume either.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

NICE glad you fixed it, I would like to see the fix just for my own info.

Here it is. I have tried to word this as simply as possible in case anyone like me ever has this issue.

The HID service was not "working", you can find this by going to the following: On the start menu go to control panel and find the administrative tools. Double click Componet Services to open it up. Go to Services (Local), on the right hand side scroll down until you find HID Input Services. The status should say "Started".....mine was not and that was the problem. If it does not say Started and you try to Start it you will get the following error message " Error 126: the specified module could not be found" The problem is that you are missing the following drivers : hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys. To find these you must extract them from the Drivers Cab. You can do that using these instructions:
    1. Go to My Computer
    2. Open up the C drive
    3. Go to the i386 folder and open it
    4. Scroll down until you find a cabinet icon with the name DRIVER
    5. Locate the 3 missing drivers mentioned above and extract them to C:\windows\system32\
    6. Go back to the regedit and and find the HID Input Service, it should be running now and you should be able to use the volume buttons on your keyboard.

Nice! Thank you for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    Nice! Thank you for the info!
    No problem! I hope it helps someone if they ever need it. God knows it took me long enough to find help.

Thread Information