Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Sirius users?

Gold Member

Default Any Sirius users?

My husband bought me a Sirius radio for our anniversary (that is another post altogether, lol). Somehow I guess Best Buy screwed up and he managed to get the $150 something Sportster 5 or whatever for $30.

I've looked over the plans and I know I'm going to want more than just the music channels but I can't really get a good breakdown on the price and payment set up. Is it possible to pay month by month or do I have to set up a year's worth of service?

The other thing, is it even really worth it? I'm not in the car but a few minutes every few days and because of that, I told him to put it in his car. He of course argued but I said I'd use the internet radio feature in the house. Which is another issue because there's things like Pandora and SomaFM that I use which are free so it seems dumb.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Been a Sirius subscriber for about 3 yrs now---didn't have it in either of our vehicles (as we had older vehicles at the time) but got it for my love of Howard Stern (so when he moved to Sirius, so did I). Anyway, to make a long story short, now I have Sirius in BOTH the vehicles, and 2 in the house---not to mention it can be streamed over your computer as well (which is what I typically do while home). So....we like it.
    AND we have given it as a gift to several people, in many different walks of life, and all love it. I don't think you will not at least LIKE it, if you give it a try.

I should mention that both myself and hub are monster NFL fans, so they broadcast ALL the games on Sirius, so if we happen to be on the road (like this holiday season) we can catch them ALL. And again, Howard Stern, and GREAT music!!
    Worth the money?? Yes in my book!

I haven't met a person YET to give it up.

But, I'm just one....let some others talk too!

Hope you like it!

edit: I'm not sure about payment stuff. We just pay a flat fee......

Gold Member

The NFL feature would have been nice today, lol. We were out while the Ravens were playing and all we were planning on doing was coming home and watching the game of the dvr. Stupid waitress at the restaurant walks through SHOUTING the score!

My hubby meant well as far as getting it for me but I really think he would get better use of it. He's in the car about 3-4 hours each day and downloads things onto his Palm to listen to. I think he'd enjoy having the talk shows and news to listen to. Plus the traffic and weather, good grief the man is constantly hitting traffic down there.

We'll probably set it up this week while he's home from work.

You have it in both cars so do you have to pay for an account for each system?
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

we've had sirius since the beginning as well (also b/c of Howard and we love it! i hate regular radio now... too many commercials and the stations always play the same old crap. on Sirius they have so many specialty stations, i love the Broadway station... showtunes 24/7! there's a station dedicated to each decade too... i love the 70's (disco LOL)

we listen in the car and at home all the time. it's so worth it... you'll love it b/c there's something for everyone.

Both hubby and I have it. We got it primarily for Howard but the content is so much better than regular radio.

Like Lynnie said, you get the NFL and all the other sports stations (college games, NHL, NBA) and then you have news and comedy and of course all the other music stations.

It really is worth the price, sign up for the year and see if you like it. We wound up becoming lifetime subscribers, as it just works out better for us in the long run.

Elite Member

Make sure you have 146 TalkLeft. They are our people!

I don't know about payment stuff either... but I love Sirius! I had XM in my old car and liked Sirius better when I got it. I guess that doesn't matter anymore, since they are the same now!

We pay about $20 a month, if we pay a year in advance, we get 1 month free. That includes having it in both of our vehicles and free access to it over the internet so we can stream through our TV/stereo equipment or through our computer. For our account we can only have it streaming on 1 computer at a time since we have only 1 username/password.

We had XM for several years and switched to Sirus about 3-4 years ago. I like it more than XM and we pay a year in advance and have it in both of our cars since you get a discount for each additional car.

My husband listens to mostly Howard Stern's 2 channels. He's in the car for hours everyday.

I listen to channel 8 (80's) and channels 14 and 15 (older and newer classic rock). Sometimes channel 9 (90's) and channel 22 (kind of retro non-mainstream 80's music) I don't listen to Howard anymore because my kid is always in the car with me. But I love Sirius, always good music and no commericals. I am not in the car a whole lot, but when I am I am relaxed because I am not searching for a station or changing the stations trying to get away from talking DJs or commercials.

Oh and I use to listen to it all day when I had my office job. I would log into my account online and stream through my computer all day. The channels I listened to were edited and commercial free so safe for work and my coworkers were jealous!

We also listen to it in our house. We haven't listen to regular radio in YEARS and I never will again!

I bet you will like it.

I listen to channels 8 and 22 too!

I've had it for just over 3 years now too. In the house and in both vehicles. And I got the stiletto for Xmas from my husband.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

so.. forgive me for being dumb, but I've heard about sirius radio - but it looks to me like our digital radio expect you have to subscribe to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    so.. forgive me for being dumb, but I've heard about sirius radio - but it looks to me like our digital radio expect you have to subscribe to it?
    You do.

To me it's worth it. We have it one of our vehicles and have on-line access so we can listen at work.
    Fabulous!

thanks! Ya see digital radio is free in the UK (and yep you can get sets for the car, etc) but then again its partly paid for with the TV licence that everyone has to have... so it' only free at point of delivery I guess.

Do they have better things on sirius than local stations? I know that Howard Stern is on there ...

I've been listening online for ages.. with a friends log on info, he listens in his car.. so we never bump each other off.. But I see a message that after March something I won't be able to do that anymore. Unless he subscribes for some online thing??

I could always get my own.. but I only listen to Howard for a few hours in the morning. But I will miss it.. a lot.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Oh and I use to listen to it all day when I had my office job. I would log into my account online and stream through my computer all day. The channels I listened to were edited and commercial free so safe for work and my coworkers were jealous!

We also listen to it in our house. We haven't listen to regular radio in YEARS and I never will again!

I bet you will like it.
    I had no idea you could do the streaming at work thing. That's brilliant. I've officially run out of free plays for the month on Pandora and am at my wits end with various other services.

Can anyone walk me through how this whole thing works? What device do you purchase? Whats the deal with XM vs. Sirius?

In my fantasy world, I want some sort of iPod-like device that streams Sirius / XM that I can somehow mount in my car without needing a formal take-it-into-the-shop-to-be-rewired deal. And that is removable and I can take into work with me to listen to also.

But then maybe the computer streaming would accomplish that.

Thoughts? Recc's? I'm really confused about how this all works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information