Thread: Fallout 3 video game

Default Fallout 3 video game

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAN0ByjSsV4[/YOUTUBE]

I got this game when it came out weeks ago, and I must say that this is one of the greatest games I have personally played, and most certainly the best I have played this year, no small feat when games like GTA IV and metal gear solid were released. It has gotten decent to great reviews from video game websites.

I actually did not want to buy this when I first heard about it as it was called an RPG game. I do not like role playing games, as I am a first person shooter fanatic. That said this game plays more like a first person shooter with role playing game elements including the ability to upgrade your various skill sets. The combat system (called VATS, which automatically targets bodyparts) is brilliant. The story is also great, on the surface it appears to be a simple case of trying to find someone, but then it becomes much bigger than that in the overall scheme of things. The map is HUGE, I have literally been playing 3 weeks nonstop, averaging about 4-6 hours a night, and I still haven't discovered all the small towns and buildings. There are tons of side quests that are great too.

The coolest thing about this game is the karma system where depending on your actions you become a good person with good karma or an evil one with bad karma (like the ultimate 'choose your own adventure'). I for some reason cannot be a bad person even in the video game realm, so I have been doing mostly good things, like freeing slaves, killing slave holders (including massacreing an entire slaver colony, paradise falls), and helping anyone I come across. The downside is that a hit squad continually pops up from time to time to try and kill me.

All in all a fabulous game, so good that it makes me forget the 20 times this game has already frozen on me (for my PS3).

I've been playing it about the same time.. I've been a total badass though. I've basically butchered everybody I came across. I blew up Megaton first chance I got (stupid Moira whore got turned into a ghoul as a result, still alive and annoying though), and then wiped out Tenpenny Tower after I got my reward for doing it, but I kept my room ... and then I mostly wandered around for a bit, took on the outcast brotherhood and wiped them off the map, destroyed a few small towns (one filled with cannibals), traded with traders and then killed them to get my money back and, quite accidentally, stumbled across my father, not having done 1/2 the story! LOL

Thankfully after you find him there's a lot more to do, otherwise I'd be pisssssssed. The VATS thing is so much fun, especially with the "bloody disgusting" perk, which makes all your opponents explode when you shoot them

The game locks up WAY WAY too much.. it locked on me 4 times in 10 minutes on sunday, which pissed me off to no end. I try to save often, but it locks up then too LOL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Wow you are ruthless Grimm, I just didn't have the heart to wipe out megaton. It would be intriguing though to be a totally evil person and see how that changes game dynamics. In terms of being an open ended 'sandbox' this blows away GTA IV in my opinion. Literally dozens of different ways you can go forward with your quest depending on your skill levels.

I'm maxed out now on level 20 so I can't get anymore perks unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Wow you are ruthless Grimm, I just didn't have the heart to wipe out megaton. It would be intriguing though to be a totally evil person and see how that changes game dynamics. In terms of being an open ended 'sandbox' this blows away GTA IV in my opinion. Literally dozens of different ways you can go forward with your quest depending on your skill levels.

I'm maxed out now on level 20 so I can't get anymore perks unfortunately.

awwww... wring what you can out of Megaton, THEN blow it up. Tenpenny towers is way better digs than a crappy shack

Then kill all of them too.

If you kill a lot of people, you get "Redeemers" after you.. basically there's a bounty on your head, and 3 of them show up every so often to try and take you down.. so you waste them as well.

I wiped out Paradise Falls and freed a bunch of child slaves, only because I needed them to let me into some caverns to find another vault... that irks me about this game: I cant kill children I should be able to LOL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My little brother loves this game. Also, some shit called Gears of War 2 or something? He wants me to play it with him over Xbox live, but I'd probably die within a few minutes..

arrrrg.. my roomates xbox got the 3 red lights of death.. hardware failure. I hope we can transfer our saved games somehow, cuz he's picking up the xbox elite and turning this one on for 1/3 the amount..

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    awwww... wring what you can out of Megaton, THEN blow it up. Tenpenny towers is way better digs than a crappy shack

Then kill all of them too.

If you kill a lot of people, you get "Redeemers" after you.. basically there's a bounty on your head, and 3 of them show up every so often to try and take you down.. so you waste them as well.

I wiped out Paradise Falls and freed a bunch of child slaves, only because I needed them to let me into some caverns to find another vault... that irks me about this game: I cant kill children I should be able to LOL
    Yea if you have real good karma you also get a contract out on you and every so often, especially if you fast travel to another location, talon mercenaries will try and kill you. Those dudes are a real motha.

Have you run into Oreilly's rangers yet? They're on the roof of a hotel by the hospital in DC.. save them, and you get some kickass armor until you manage to get the brotherhood of steel to teach you power-armor skills. Then you can replenish your power armor by going to fort independence (sorta in the middle/west of the map) by killing a bunch of brotherhood outcasts and stealing theirs

Or you can zip back to the jefferson memorial and waste a bunch of Enclave soldiers, and steal THEIR armor which is apparently 30 years more modern than the brotherhood's.. they're the guys who show up to kick your ass when your dad ties to get the water purifier running

Beware the top right corner of the map.. old orly, or something. The minute you fast-trvel there, you got deathclaws on your ass. They're literally standing right beside you as you spawn. I fucking HATE deathclaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Have you run into Oreilly's rangers yet? They're on the roof of a hotel by the hospital in DC.. save them, and you get some kickass armor until you manage to get the brotherhood of steel to teach you power-armor skills. Then you can replenish your power armor by going to fort independence (sorta in the middle/west of the map) by killing a bunch of brotherhood outcasts and stealing theirs

Or you can zip back to the jefferson memorial and waste a bunch of Enclave soldiers, and steal THEIR armor which is apparently 30 years more modern than the brotherhood's.. they're the guys who show up to kick your ass when your dad ties to get the water purifier running

Beware the top right corner of the map.. old orly, or something. The minute you fast-trvel there, you got deathclaws on your ass. They're literally standing right beside you as you spawn. I fucking HATE deathclaws.
    I finished the Rangers side mission a while ago so I pop into their HQ once in a while when I find new locations to collect some bottle caps (though I've found so many places it's slim pickings now). I do have that 'enhanced' armor, I think it's the T-51 armor and helmet, I can't remember where I picked it up but I got the brotherhood training so I an wear all power armors. I also have a medical armor I have stashed in my room in megaton, I'm trying to remember where I got it but it was in a special area.

Deathclaws suck but I found having the dart gun helps immensely. Deathclaws are one of the few (maybe only) enemies that are actually slowed down by the poison in the dart, so once you hit them a few times you can run away or run them in circles and chop them down. The enemies I hate most are the mireluks crab like creatures that are so hard to kill.

Hmm i havent learned how to make a dart gun yet.

I tried the miussile launcher, flamer, pretty much anything that would kill anything and the fuckers still come. Bottlecap mines seem to do the most damage to them, oddly.

Yea bottle cap mines are awesome, they cause serious destruction. But the dart gun is the best for the deathclaws. Make it if you can, it's an awesome weapon:

Dart Gun - The Vault - a Fallout wiki

I'm going to have to replay the game once i finish it this time.. see if i can restrain myself into being "nice" and do all the quests.. i swear, ive missed half the game just because I get annoyed at characters and blow their heads off before getting any quests.

Well, that and stumbling across my father by accident just by wandering around.

One thing I haven't run across are a lot of towns... the only one i found had 3 people in it, all cannibals. Theyr'e dead now, of course.

Thread Information