Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me!

Default Please help me!

I put an SD memory card (that can hold pics and vids) into my desktop slot that says SD/MMC/SM/MS/MS-PRO, and a green light turns on on my desktop which means my computer recognizes it, but nothing pops up on my computer screen so I have no idea how to locate the folder where the pics and vids would be. I can't make any pics or vids, but I just want to know where to find the folder for that memory card in my computer. Anyone help?
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

when i put mine in the reader, it comes up under 'my computer'
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    when i put mine in the reader, it comes up under 'my computer'
    Really? I click on 'my computer' and all I get is....

Text saying....Files Stores on This Computer

And two folders....Shared Documents and Owner's Documents

Text saying....Hard Disk Drives

And two disks.....Local Disk (c) and Recovery (D)

Text saying.....Devices with Removable Storage

And 5 drives....DVD/CD-RW Drive (E) and Removable Disk (F) and Removable Disk (G) and Removable Disk (H) and Removable Disk (I)

Which one of these places is the memory card folder stored?
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

The simplest way to find out is to leave that "My Computer" screen open and remove the SD card. One of your removable disks should disappear. When you put the SD card in again it should reappear. That way you'll know what drive letter it's assigned to.
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

Quote Originally Posted by micashell View Post
    The simplest way to find out is to leave that "My Computer" screen open and remove the SD card. One of your removable disks should disappear. When you put the SD card in again it should reappear. That way you'll know what drive letter it's assigned to.
    When I take it out it shows the same disks, when I put it in, it shows the same disks. Nothing changes. When I click on disks F,G,H, and I, it says insert disk, which means it doesn't see it. Only disk E is empty, but that's the DVD/CD-RW Drive. I'm confused.

To be honest if no new drive letter appears, it sounds like your computer isn't reading the card.

That is strange, because you said a green light goes on when you insert the card, but any insertable device (USB stick, ipod, external hard drive, SD cards etc) will always have a drive letter assigned to them
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

Maybe my SD memory card slot is not reading it. You think I should get a USB stick? (I'm assuming you mean a USB flash drive to stick the memory card in?)

Do I have to format the memory card? I heard people say that but I have no idea why they have to do that and I wouldn't know how.

The difficulty is that you can't format the SD card until your computer actually knows that it's there.

I would suggest trying your SD card on a different computer if possible and seeing if that computer can read the card. That will at least tell you whether the problem lies with the card or your computer.

I have heard that you can get USB devices that you can put SD cards into, but I have never used them so I don't know how they work, sorry.

This is sooo fustrating. A lot of other people seem to have this problem, I searched for SD CARD NOT SHOWING UP on google and many others are having this problem. I'm going to do what you said. Even my handheld cam says Error with the card in it.

Oh yah..... let's say I bring the card to best buy and it works on one of their new computers, then what? Does that mean my computer is too old? It's a cheap e-machines T3104 desktop pc with xp home operating system. Any idea what could be the problem if the card works on another computer?

PS: I just bought the SD card today. It's from radio shack, it's brand SanDisk 2gb for vids and pics.

Quote Originally Posted by potato_chips View Post
    Even my handheld cam says Error with the card in it.
    is there anything on the card?
    it says 'error' when you put the card into your handheld cam? if so then i think you got a faulty card. you should return it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

OMG! She's right! All this anguish and the card is faulty!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I had the same problem when trying my SD card on my parents' computer. The light came on but it showed nothing under My Computer. All I could do was try to reinsert it until it worked.

I wouldn't bother with buying a card reader; I would just hook the camera up to the computer with the USB cable digicams usually come with. That is what I do at home, without any trouble. One time I tried a USB card reader and it corrupted some of my files and ruined the pictures.

SVZ

sounds like your card is broken if your camera can't read it

Guess what everyone.... I went to the computer store and I put the sd card on their new computers and it worked!! I put the camera on their computer and it worked!!! So it must be my crappy old desktop!!! I think I need a new comp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information