Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Downloading an application

Default Downloading an application

Me again ... *sigh*

I was sent an application to install for my job. My problem ... it won't download. I've tried it on both Firefox and IE. With IE, I get nothing. With Firefox, I get a desktop icon, but it won't open.

Help.

When you download using firefox, do you get the download window? Have you tried installing the application from there or are you saving the file and then opening it to install?

Can't help with IE as my IE refuses point blank to download anything
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

I get the little download box that has open/remove, if that is what you are referring to. When I click open, nothing happens.

On the desktop icon, I've clicked open and run as ... nothing happens there either.

Aaargh.

Yep, that's the box I was referring to. hmmm

Okay, it might be worth finding out where it has saved it to on your computer. Firefox always saves to your PC (somewhere, wherever your downloads are set to go to). Do a search in windows explorer for the application name. Try opening the file from there.

It's worth bearing in mind that some applications take forever to open. It might also be worth checking your task manager and go into processes, and see whether the computer thinks it is currently running the program, and that's why it won't open again. If it is listed in your processes (and only if it is SPECIFICALLY the same name, then you need to press "end process")

I know this is a public forum so don't want to ask you for too much info, but if possible can you give the link or the application name?
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

I already looked around my files to see if it's listed and I can't find anything. I'll take another look just in case. It's probably lurking somewhere ... I'm not very smart when it comes to computers, unfortunately.

If you go into "Tools" "Options" and on the "Main" page. About halfway down it should tell you where it saves everything as default

Supposedly, it has been saved to desktop, but it still won't open.

Does the file on the desktop end in .exe? Or does it have a different ending?

.exe means that it is an application, any other ending may mean that it is an ordinary file that needs a specific application to open it, and you may not have that application.

Apologies, but I don't know how much you do or don't know, so I may be asking you stupid questions

The file is .exe.

The application is for the installation of a program that I need to use.

- damn then I'm at a loss.

All I can suggest is trying to download it again, I guess it's possible that it didn't download completely or something.

Have you googled the application? Is it possible to download it from a different site?

I don't think it's possible to get it from another site. It was sent to me with a password. It can't be downloaded without the password.

Hopefully, if I fiddle with it a bit longer, it will miraculously come to life and I won't have to email for help and look like the incompetent moron that I am. Haha.

Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

No problem, wish I could do more, but it's difficult when you can't actually see it in front of you.

The only other thing I can suggest is trying to open it with Admin privileges. (not sure whether you can do this on XP) but on Vista if you right click and run as administrator, that might do something

In the instructions provided, they said to do that if you're running Vista and you have problems. There was nothing for XP. I guess people with XP don't have problems.

It might be worth googling it to see if other people have had problems opening it. Unless it is a bespoke program that is specific to your employer.

With Vista there are ALWAYS problems

Thread Information