Thread: Five antisocial gadgets that should be banned

Default Five antisocial gadgets that should be banned

Five Antisocial Gadgets That Should be Banned | Gadget Lab from Wired.com
    Technology moves fast, and manners aren’t keeping up. In older times, real innovations were so few and far-between that social conventions had time to grow up around them. Did you know, for example, that there was a recommended greeting for use with the new-fangled telephone? People didn’t know what to say when they picked up the speaking-tube, so they were given a suggestion: “Ahoy!” I still do this today — it confuses the heck out of the telemarketers.
    But now that tech is everywhere and ever evolving, people don’t know how to conduct themselves in public. The gizmos themselves are innocent, but the users are not. Here we list five gadgets that should be banned until people learn to use them.
    Speakerphones

A speakerphone’s advantages are far outweighed by the fact that it can be used to play music. Specifically (and you might detect the voice of experience here), really bad rap music on the train to the beach. Back in the eighties, there was a penalty involved in portable tunes, and it came in the form of a backbreaking boombox equipped with around fifty D-Cell batteries. Now there is no barrier, and anyone can pollute public spaces with what they obviously believe to be music loved by everyone there.
    Worse, the speakers are terrible. Bass becomes buzz, drums become tinny taps and vocals distort. At least the old 1970s boomboxes packed a decent punch.
    Bluetooth Headsets
    If the cyborg-like plug in your ear weren’t bad enough, you look like a crazy-person whenever you use it, muttering to yourself as you walk down the street. Throw it away, now.
    Custom Ringtones
    Closely related to the Speakerphone (and not strictly a gadget), the ringtone is the bane of modern existence, and reached a nadir with the release of the Crazy Frog, a ringtone based on a piece of music designed to piss people off (and actually called “Annoying Thing”).
    Custom ringtones can be useful — I have the Gadget Lab office number set to play a silent tone so I am never disturbed by my tyrannical editors, for example. But they are invariably used as a way to make the owner of the phone somehow look smart or funny. This, as we know, never works. Even if you have downloaded the latest chart-topper to show your excellent tastes off to the world, we all know that you just spent more than the cost of the track itself on a tinny, truncated MP3.
    E-Books
    A strange one, you might think, given my love of the e-book. Lightweight, convenient and offering hundreds of titles in your pocket, the e-book is surely a perfect gadget. It can’t even annoy your fellow-travellers on public transport. But it has a secret agenda: to destroy romance itself.
    You might remember that I hollowed out a Moleskine notebook to hide my iPod Touch, the theory being that while a handsome young man reading a paperback and sipping a coffee at a pavement café would attract the ladies, a nerd reading an e-book would not.
    My theory was proved correct this week. Sipping a glass of wine and looking very intellectual, I finished reading the last page of my book (something by Paul Auster, if you must know). I switched to my iPod Touch (without the Molekine prophylactic). Just then, the pretty girl at the next table turned around and, with a flirtatious smile, asked what I was doing.
    “Reading” I said
    “Reading?” she asked, tipping her lovely head to a rather coquettish angle.
    “Yes,” I replied, “I’m reading a book on my iPod.”
    She glanced down at the device in front of me.
    “Reading a book on your iPod?
    As I nodded she simply turned away, brow slightly furrowed. I went home alone.
    Satnav
    This one comes from my brother, a motorbike rider who commutes daily. His problem: Morons. He thinks that most of the time people know where they are going and don’t actually need a satnav unit. Further, he argues, owners use them when they don’t need to, to justify the purchase.
    I don’t necessarily agree, but I can’t argue with the theory in this one case: My brother saw a colleague pull up to work – a place he has driven to daily for years – with his GPS unit switched on. When challenged, he said it was for traffic avoidance. The problem? On his trip to work, there is only one route he can take, whatever the traffic conditions.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

This guy may be onto something. I am continually annoyed by the terrible manners of people who think nothing of stopping in the middle of a conversation to take a call that can wait, by people yelling into their cell phones -- WTF? yelling doesn't make the other person hear you any better even if they are in China -- and by godawful music from earphones. And I can't forget the idiots who walk, ride bikes and drive cars oblivious to what's going on around them because they can't hear over their damn music or conversation.

I agree that it's stupid to spend a bunch of money on custom ringtones-I just downloaded some mp3 cutting software, and I made my own ringtones.

I've got the drumroll from Metallica's One as my alarm clock sound.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

A*O

I've got the boring Nokia ringtone. It alerts me to the fact that someone wishes to speak to me. Amazing.

I think mobile phones are a total scourge on civilization. Instead of being useful communication devices they have become life support systems for many people who in some cases would have a hard time deciding whether to save their phone or their kids from a housefire.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I agree that it's stupid to spend a bunch of money on custom ringtones-I just downloaded some mp3 cutting software, and I made my own ringtones.

I've got the drumroll from Metallica's One as my alarm clock sound.

I yeah, I don't understand the whole paying for ringtones thing...I just use mp3s that I have on my phone...which is on 'silent' pretty much all the time anyway!

Bluetooth headsets (or handsfree) annoy me too, I see alot of people at my workplace wandering around muttering, as if they are talking to the voices in their heads...don't they realise how silly they look?

And don't get me started on people using their phone whilst driving.....

I fucking hate guys who blast tinny music from their stupid cellphones on subways, busses and everywhere else. That's the point of HEADPHONES, jackass. Nobody else wants to listen to your stupid shit.

Even WITh headphones these days, the same jackasses turn it up so loud everybody can hear it anyway. Deaf idiots.

last i was on a bus and someone was blasting their speakerphone garbage, the bus driver told him to turn it off or get off. Hilarious.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I always comfort myself with the thought that they will go deaf soon and the rest of us will have the last laugh.

^^yeah, but they won't hear us laughing!
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

That's why you make sure to point.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

The gadgets aren't the problem, it's the people using them.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    The gadgets aren't the problem, it's the people using them.
    Exactly, if a person wanted to shove the gadgets up their ass, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

That would muffle the ringing any way.

ETA reminded me of this:
    7 Prisoners In Hospital After Hiding Mobile Phones in Their Bodies
    Posted September 2nd, 2008 by Patrick in Funny Mobile Stuff
    Seven prisoners are recovering in hospital today after operations to remove hidden mobile phones were carried out in Pakistan. Doctors were forced to operate on the patients after they were unable to remove the phones naturally.
    Prison officers at Camp Jail were carrying out a sweep at the prison and found 37 prisoners had concealed phones inside their bodies. 30 of them were able to remove the phones without needing hospital treatment however seven smartphone owners were unable to remove their handsets and required surgery.
    The mens identities have been made public on the prison notice board and they will be transferred to punishment cells as soon as they are discharged from hospital.
    Although this is the largest single incident of this type prisoners often get caught with hidden phones - last year a UK prisoner required over 200 stitches and needed part of his bladder removed during surgery to remove a particularly large handset from his rectum.
    7 Prisoners In Hospital After Hiding Mobile Phones in Their Bodies | Dial-a-Phone

It sounds made up but worth a lol.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information