Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Street View - Invasion of privacy?

A*O

Default Google Street View - Invasion of privacy?

Googled launched this today - check it out

Not all areas are covered (yet) but most of the major cities in the US are on the database. Ditto Australia.

I'm not sure what I think about a lovely pic of my house taken from the street is available to anyone who has my postal address. I'm not a privacy freak at all but I'm a bit uncomfortable with this one. On the other hand I don't mind the aerial view on Google Earth so OK, I'm being inconsistant.

If your home is on Google Street View - do you care?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I hate it, it's scary. I'm not on there yet, thank god. What if someone's out on their porch too, I hope they blur their faces, license plates, kids etc. for the sake of privacy.

with my psycho ex-husband ... I'm not pleased about it at all. Fortunately he doesn't know my street address (yet). *sigh*

The US one has been up for a while, because I googled my house and dammit not only was it right there, the bastards had an arrow pointing right at my door!! Very scary!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I hate it. I found my house with my car parked in the drive. Although it had the street number off by a couple of blocks, it is close enough to give me the heebie jeebies~
    Playful~

our house isnt on the picture part. i googled my friends house in Ohio, and the address is off by 30 numbers
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

They had us off by a few houses. The picture is well over a year old, but 2 of our cars were in the driveway and I can definitely verify that they do not blur out license plates. The angle on my dad's car is dead on and I can read his.

A*O

I reckon the pic of my place was taken last summer here. For reasons I won't divulge I know it was taken on a Tuesday morning. Still not entirely comfortable with this. I suspect Google will have to do some tweaking, eg blurring car reggos, to keep the lawyers happy.
    Dame Edna Everage

I know it's that old b/c of the cars in the driveway, one of them was replaced over a year ago.

I just can't get over the fact that I can actually read my dad's license plate that clearly. The angle on my plate is a little off so it blurred itself, but his is as clear as day.

Sheesh, my house is on there.

That's very scary.. when did they take these pictures? They have alarming clarity.

It sounds like it depends on your country's own privacy laws:

In the more immediate future, Google plans to release Street View for various Canadian cities, but modified so that faces and license plates are blurred, due to concerns raised by Canada's federal privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart about the program breaching Canada's privacy laws.[13]
    In Europe, the creation of Google Street View may not be legal in all places. While the laws vary from country to country, many countries in Europe have laws prohibiting the unconsented filming of an individual on public property for the purpose of public display.[32]

One of Google's remedies to the concerns over privacy laws outside the United States has been a pledge to blur faces of people who are filmed. Google began blurring faces on 13 May 2008[33] and the images published since then, including the first launch of images in Europe on 2 June 2008, have all used face blurring.
    Google Street View - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I know ours are quite strict here, it sounds like the US' are pretty lax? Or maybe the issue is that they vary from state to state.
    Last edited by Tati; August 5th, 2008 at 08:41 AM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I like the street view. There really isn't anything on there that a person couldnt' see for themselves when they drive by your house.

And they aren't hiding when they get the footage for the street view, I mean if you are sitting on your front porch while they are doing it, you definately know they are there.

It has been in the US for a while now, I like it. But then again, I don't hide from anybody, so I have no worries.

I have no problem with it. Like Hummus said, if someone knows your address they can find your house - unless you live in a gated community.

Pic. was taken of my house on a Thursday, garbage can is out. My husband's bike is abandoned in the front yard, much like what a 8 year old boy would do when coming home from a ride. I have no idea who would find that fascinating or even care.

Bronze Member

On the one hand I like it, because when I downloaded Google Earth oh so long ago, I thought that's the way the images would have been shown, but on the other hand - the fact that license plates etc are shown is a bit awkward.
    I don't live in the US, I live in the UK, but I have friends who live in the US. After reading this thread I asked them for their address and checked it out - and I'm pretty jealous of their house. There was some guy mowing a lawn near by too.

A*O

I don't mind a pic of my house on the internet. I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the possibility that the identities of the people who live there also be revealed.

Example - Say I wanted to show you a pic of my house. In theory I could do a screen grab of the image and from that you would see the address. Link that to a visible car reggo and with a bit of detective work you would be able to find out my name and other details. Hopefully nobody would be even slightly interested but if, say, a psychotroll or a jealous ex (thinking of cloud here) wanted to find me it wouldn't be too difficult I suspect.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information