Thread: Help me recover my laptop op system!

Default Help me recover my laptop op system!

This might seem easy to some of you, but please help....

I have a used laptop pc several years old, and I had xp on it, but it crashed!!! It powers up, but I can't even get to the desktop! I want it to work again, I don't care if I lose everything on it.

Okay, here are my questions.....

I don't have the system recovery discs, so how do I get my laptop to work again? Can I buy the XP operating system software and just reload it again?

If so, do I have to get the same xp version that was on it(I forgot what version that was on it) or can I get any xp version?

If so, do I have to get the Full version or will the upgrade work?

What if I decide to just try to put Vista on it instead... will it work?

If so, do I buy the Full version of vista or upgrade?
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

Hi

Vista is a much larger operating system than XP. It would really depend on how much disk space you have on your PC, as to whether you would be able to install Vista.

Buying a new version of XP would work (I don't think it would matter too much which version you bought, although Professional takes up more room than Home).

However, I would suggest using a boot disk to see whether you can access your current operating system first, before going to the expense of buying a new operating system.

If you google XP Boot Disk, there are several sites that you can download a boot disk from.

If you feel your machine is large enough to cope with Vista, then I would suggest buying the full version of Vista. An upgrade needs something to upgrade from and I don't know whether it would read your current operating system.

Hope that helps.
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

You will have to buy the full version of Vista if you want to 'upgrade' to it. But my advice to you: Vista is ASS! STICK WITH XP! I bought Vista for both my laptop and desktop PC and I've only had problem after problem. Not to mention the Vista operating system takes up a huge chunk of your physical memory, slowing down your computer quite a bit if you try to run anything other than internet explorer alone. The security is a huge pain in the ass, I've ended up just disabling it to avoid the annoying pop ups every time I want to do something... also if you want to use it for games you will most likely run into compatibility problems and be unable to run them AT ALL... otherwise, if your lucky, you'll be able to get them to run after several "error" messages. If you don't want the hassle that Vista brings, I would suggest sticking with XP until they come up with a better OS. The pretty new display graphicz are NOT worth it.

I would suggest taking it to your local computer repair shop so they can figure out what the problem really is, it may not be your OS at all.

Thanks you two. I appreciate your help.
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

I agree with dangerous, screw Vista. you'll regret it.

Good luck with the computer!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I had a similar (I swear I usually know how to spell that word) problem with my computer, and in the end I had a huge virus problem. I just ended up getting a new computer. Vista came with the new computer and all I heard was that it wasn't very good and all the pop ups were annoying. But the pop ups are not that bad, especially if you just visit the same sites over and over. It does ask for permission before anything pops up, even Windows power point messages. But it all depends on your settings, if you set it up to block everything then it will ask for permission before anything opens. Over all I don't really notice a difference between the to OPS now.
    Good Luck with your problem though.

3rd vote for avoiding Vista at all costs.
    Has caused my boss no end of problems!

Good Luck
    Free Charmed.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Yeah, Vista totally sucks for some. Hope you can get yours working again.

Thanks everyone!

Thread Information