Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does a forum like this one cost?

Default How much does a forum like this one cost?

Not looking to start my own gossip site lol.

I've owned and operated blogs and websites, but I have no idea of the start-up and bandwith costs associated with a message board like this one.

Any clues?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

It doesn't usually cost much to start one up.. the costs start ramping up whn you get massive subscription, and need new servers, a team of designers, and don't forget the baying pack of internet lawyerz
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^Grim, thanks! I've heard about $200 for something basic (e.g., no smilie face options lol) and readable but unattractive, and up to $10,000 for something obscenely fancy with doodads that no one will use.

So the real cost then, assuming this would actually happen, would be the bandwidth fees from the host if the message board became successful? Does that mean this site has megabills when non-members come a-runnin' (the pageant people, for example)? What figure (I sound like Becky now)?

Speaking of internet lawyers, I have to wonder at the frequency of cease and desist orders directed to this site...
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

SVZ

We pay around $400 a month

OMG that's all? I was expecting double or triple that!

Thank you for that info!

SVZ

well that's just for hosting

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    Not looking to start my own gossip site lol.
    Ah, phew! 'Cause you know, the world doesn't really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anstice View Post
    Ah, phew! 'Cause you know, the world doesn't really need it.
    this isnt your first negative comment about gossip or the comments on GR. why so negative? we're all here to have fun and share!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    well that's just for hosting
    If you don't mind my asking, what are the other costs? Graphics? Technical glitches when a server goes boom (which seems frequent, apparently, in the world of servers)?

I've heard good things about DreamHost and LiquidWeb. I think I have those names correct (?). Any thoughts on good server/hosting companies? A friend switched to LW after her old server/hosting company gave her some financial penalty (for lack of better terminology) once visitors ate up over a certain amount of bandwidth.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    this isnt your first negative comment about gossip or the comments on GR. why so negative? we're all here to have fun and share!
    Exactly what I'm trying to do, dear, but it sounds like the little I know is not what the people here want to hear, hence my bitterness. Ah, never mind, I'll survive.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^Perhaps you'd be happier at a Kevin Spacey online fan club.

Aries, if you start a forum, send me the link, because I'd love to join. I'll still have GR, of course.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    Aries, if you start a forum, send me the link, because I'd love to join. I'll still have GR, of course.
    Awwww fanks. It would be for career needs. GR does the gossip best, and I like this community a lot.

Over the past few years, when I've needed advice or to brainstorm, I have had incredibly positive experiences on the 'net that you wouldn't believe. I was amazed at how people who were total strangers came through for me, shared themselves, etc.

After researching, I realized that the type of forum I would love to visit for certain career issues just doesn't exist. I don't know if it can, meaning I don't know if it would generate the community I envision or focus on the issues I'm finding most compelling.

There's one way to find out lol...

I thought forums with the scrolling, hyperlinked posts would be the cheapest, but they're a terrible read, have bleh search features, and require too much clicking. Why bother if it's a space where *I* don't want to play or have to limit my reading time because it gives me a headache?

This kind of forum is exactly what I like as far as the interface and appearance, though something not as "pretty" would be fine with me too.

Are message boards like websites where you can buy a prefab template rather than get a spendy custom deal?

Still welcoming any thoughts on hosting.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I run a small fairly active forum, I paid about $160 for the vbulletin software(a couple of years ago) and I pay $100 a year for web hosting, which my advertising pays for. I also have a good friend that helps me out with technical issues.

And yes, the more successful and active the forum becomes the more it will eventually cost to keep it going, but mine hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalEyez View Post
    I run a small fairly active forum, I paid about $160 for the vbulletin software(a couple of years ago) and I pay $100 a year for web hosting, which my advertising pays for. I also have a good friend that helps me out with technical issues.

And yes, the more successful and active the forum becomes the more it will eventually cost to keep it going, but mine hasn't gotten to that point yet.
    Thanks for the specs.

I'm guessing the more traffic, the more cost, but also the more opportunity to charge advertisers more.

May I ask whom you use for hosting?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    Thanks for the specs.

I'm guessing the more traffic, the more cost, but also the more opportunity to charge advertisers more.

May I ask whom you use for hosting?
    I've been using Web Hosting Services, Affordable & Reliable | Lunarpages.com for about 3 years now, I did a little research looking for the most I could get for the least amount of money, and good reputation. I haven't had any trouble with them at all, and they have great tech support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information