Thread: Windows Live and Gmail... *confused stare*

Eli

Default Windows Live and Gmail... *confused stare*

I don't get it. My friend logs onto Windows Live with their gmail account. But I just can't figure it out!!
    Anyone know?

I sign into windows live with my gmail account too, I think there's a roaming agreement between google and MSN where you can do that. I think you can sign on with a hotmail account too. When it asks you to log in enter your gmail address (the full one, not just your username) and then your gmail password, it should work.

I use my Yahoo address in Windows Live. I signed up to the .net passport thing years ago when it was still MSN Messenger. Not sure if you still have to do that or not.
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

Eli

Um... see, I'm so lost. I type in my email and password in Window Live Messenger thingy and it just says that I can't log on with that. And I go to Window Live website and the only option is to created a live.com or hotmail.com address... No option to help with gmail account log-ins. Very weird/confusing.

Silver Member

You'll need to download windows live

Live Mail | Access All Your Emails in One Place - Microsoft Windows Live

Hit get windows live free and it will take you to another page with options on it. You can pick and choose what you want but if you just want to check email. All you'll need is the mail option checked.

Download the program.

Open the installer and it will again ask you if you want added features. But to check email all you will need is the mail option

Once installed it will ask you for your hotmail login. Do that and it will launch the program

Once inside the program you'll see a menu on the side like this

Click on add an email account. It'll bring up a window. In this window type your email@gmail.com address and password.

Then hit hit finish. It will bring up a box that says in order to use the account you have to enable POP

Just hit finish. Now go to Gmail.com and sign in to your Gmail account. At the top you'll see a settings bar. Hit that, then click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

In there you'll see options. Go to the Forwarding option and click on Forward a copy of incoming mail to

In the box you'll have to type your hotmail.com account.

In the drop down box you can either have Gmail keep a copy of the email forwarded or delete any mail forwarded. If you have gmail keep a copy you will need to go clean your Gmail inbox every once in a while. If you have gmail delete the forwarded copy. All you will have to do is check your Live Mail inbox. You can also pick Gmail to archive any email. Which can serve as a backup just in case you delete something important.

Now, you can check Gmail from your windows live email program. You can also set Gmail as your default email account in Windows Live if you like. And you can log into Live Messenger at the top of the program.

If you have any questions let me know

Eli

Oh my God...
    I must be super blonde because I simply don't get that screen when I open Windows Live.

Windows Live Home

That's where I wind up.

Silver Member

Are you opening Windows Live or Windows Live Messenger? If you go here

Windows Live Services

And uncheck everything but Email. You should download a file called WLinstaller. Then after it installs you should have something called Windows Live Mail on your desktop

Hit By Ban Bus!

there seem to be some days where my gmail/live accts don't work very well, other days they're fine...anyone else notice this?

Thread Information