Thread: Any blogging experts here?

Default Any blogging experts here?

I bought a domain name, but I just want to have a blog as my website.

I'm not sure what blogs are the best. I have heard of blogger.com and I have heard good things about word press. I have never blogged before. Any advice?

Does anyone know how I can make my blog show up on my homepage (domain)? Is this possible or do I have to use the domain name at the blogging website?

Also, how do I customize the colors and all that? Can I put a picture up as my blog design?

I know there has to be some blogging experts on GR!!!!

TIA!

I'm no expert but I've used word press and I would recommend it.

I'm not that much help.
    If i recall you can decide where on your domain your boog will be during the set up.

There are templates that you can use and if you want you can edit the colors in the template or find one tht you like already (you edit the splash photo the same way).
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I'm no expert (if I were, maybe I could make a living off of it ) so I can't help you much. I just think some standard simple html coding would apply even to blogs e.g. fonts, colours, background, adding images, vids etc. All I've ever done is one website so I don't know if blogs are any different.

Blogger.com seems like a better choice to me just cuz it's the kind I see more on the net and is recognizable.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I like Wordpress.com. It's easy and has quite a few free options. I use it with my students and they seem to like it. The only thing is that if you want to get serious about your blog and use ads etc. and drive traffic to it, you'll have to set up a Wordpress.org blog, and that comes with a minimal cost.

I use godaddy.com for the sites that I do, if you set up an account with them and transfer your domain to them, they have a lot of applications that will be installed automatically, and their support is good. And if you don't like the application, it's easy to uninstall and try another one.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to set up an account with Blogger and one with Word Press, then I will try each one out and see what fits me best (and what is easier!).

Maybe I can google to find out how to put a picture as my blog background. I really don't know much about html, but maybe I can find a simple online tutorial to help me out.

And thanks Corsair- I will check out godaddy and see what they have there.

Thanks all you blogging experts! I appreciate it!

Hey DD, let us know which one worked for you, I just may start my own...
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

good luck with it, I do run Wordpress on my godaddy sites
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Silver Member

I have a little blog. I use Wordpress. You can just install it on your website server. All you have to do is create a MYSQL database for the blog tables. That is done from your webhost control panel. And you can run it directly from your .com or .net address. After that, just upload Wordpress software and it will install it. Then you are ready to blog.

In order to put a picture as a background in wordpress. You need to have some CSS, PHP, & HTML knowledge. Depending on how exotic you want it. I might be able to help you set it up on GoDaddy or what other webhost you are using. Here are some themes for Wordpress to give you an idea.
    Theme Viewer

Keep in mind you can change the color of everything in CSS. So if you find a theme in dark that you want in blue. It's possible. PM me if you want to talk about it. I can get on AIM or Yahoo and talk to you or anybody else that might need some basic help

EDIT:

Forgot to add. If you don't want to go through the trouble of actually installing software on your webhost. You can have your webhost redirect to any site that hosts your blog. So say, you like Blogger or a Wordpress.com account. You can have your website address redirect to that page. So say your site is called mywebsite.com. But your blog is a mysite.blogger.com. You can redirect all traffic from mywebsite.com to your blogger page. If that makes sense

Wow lavi, thanks so much. That's a lot of info that can help me out. I just need to digest all of it because it's a bit too technical for me. lol

I will definitely look into everything you have posted. Thanks again for helping me out!!!!!

Silver Member

Oh no problem. Like others have said you can try a free blog account like Wordpress.com or Blogger. They do have some nice free custom choices that are easy to install. A separate blog address and software are more for people that want to get into serious blogging per se. Blogger is cool cause not only is it free. But you can sign up to google ads and get paid for people coming to your free site

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Now Lavi is an expert!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

You've gotta try this widget from babel fish

AltaVista - Translate box for your site

It translates your webpage into foreign languages! It's free!

By the way, check out my blog

Wondertrash®

I wouldn't recommend the B2Evolution - it won't take most widgets, although all most every other site does!

Thread Information