Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use Skype?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Anyone here use Skype?

How does this work?

Do you get something like a phone number? Like with area code and everything? Can you tell the difference between a Skype number and a landline?

When you sign up, can you pick any number you like?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

i'm wondering too, someone emailed me about trying it... i dont know what it is.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Ι used Skype to talk to my girl when she was studying in London.
    They installed it for me and i only had to click on her nick.
    The connection was mostly horrible so we switced to texting..
    It saved my sanity,i could talk to her free everyday..
    If you try to install it ,they direct you..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Do you have to sign up for like a long term contract or can you cut it if you don't like it?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I think you just give an email adress,i still have mine but i dont use it anymore.
    Just google Skype,i know it is free,and of course you can stop it whenever you want.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Zee

I use it when traveling. You put in ten dollars and can pay to call international at bargain basement rates. Usually international rates are a few cents per minute. I used the skype phone for 10 hours to call home and paid about $7. You can call skype to skype for free.

You can also buy a phone number for any country and have people call you.

There are other services that are IP based as well. It's a good thing!!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I use at work so I can talk to overseas counterparts. It works well and is cheap.

I don't know if you can pick a number, because it's an office thing, so I didn't set up the number
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    I use it when traveling. You put in ten dollars and can pay to call international at bargain basement rates. Usually international rates are a few cents per minute. I used the skype phone for 10 hours to call home and paid about $7. You can call skype to skype for free.

You can also buy a phone number for any country and have people call you.

There are other services that are IP based as well. It's a good thing!!

I'nneresting... Neat little extra services. So I could buy a phone number located in a different country than where I actually reside?
    Oh that could be abused by scammers, stalkers and a bunch of other psychos. IP based stuff must be like IP anonymizer?

I was looking at the Skype phone, too. So you do have to pay for it, but still cheaper than other kinds of long distance tele companies.

My cell contact was up already in Jan so I can switch my mobile provider now. I might get this. If you're calling local is the rate any good? I don't travel that much, but I do call home long distance.

I LOVE SKYPE. Since I live overseas its the only way I can keep in touch with my friends and family constantly without paying a dime, its wonderful. Otherwise I would be completely cut off, the cost of calling internationally is ridiculous. You just create a username. For example, if mine is "January" and my mom's is "January's mom", I just add her to my contacts. Then you have the option of appearing available all the time when you are online on your computer, or you can make yourself invisible (which I prefer). Then when I see my mom is online (it pops up saying she just got online), I click on Skype, call her online, she answers and we speak through our microphone, using it like a phone, its the easiest thing in the world. I only use Skype to Skype, since my mom usually logs in every few days or so, I catch her when she's online and we talk. Seriously, I think its the best invention in the world, I would never be able to keep in touch otherwise. Me and my husband also used it all the time when he was overseas and I was in the US. Its fantastic.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

The thing is though my folks don't have internet...LOL.

So if I call home using Skype then it will be Skype to landline, thus not free?

I don't like the idea of using a headset at the comp so if I decide to get it, I might want the skype phone instead.

I use Skype all the time. I invested in a Skype dualphone on which I can make and receive landline calls as well as make and receive calls using Skype. The quality is much better than using a headset.

The way that the Skype to landline/mobile works is that the call connects at their local exchange server, so you are paying for a local call (the local rate for whoever you are phoning, not necessarily your local rate.)

I phone my Mum in France on her mobile and it doesn't cost her a penny, whereas if I phoned using my landline she would have to pay charges for receiving an international call.

With my family scattered all over the world, my phone bill would be astronomical if I didn't have Skype.

You can also get Skype dualphones that plug into your router, so the Skype phone will ring, even if your computer isn't on, like a normal phone.

I would highly recommend Skype - for me it has been a lifesaver, literally. My stepfather had a really nasty scare recently and my Mum was in bits. I was able to speak to her for literally 5 hours about everything and nothing to take her mind off of what was going on. It didn't cost either of us a penny.

It's free to install. It has an instant messaging function similar to MSN. You can do video chats and normal phone calls.

Give it a go, you've nothing to lose. If you don't like it you can just uninstall it.
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

Moomies, its not free if you make calls from your computer to a landline phone, but I think micashell described it much better than I can. I know however, like she said, its much cheaper than your average rates because you are paying as if its a local call, not an international call.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Gold Member

thanks for this thread, i hadn't even heard of skype!

I talked to hubby about me getting the Skype phone. Apparently there's a problem with it...they don't give you a Canadian phone number! So if you call local or if your friends call you from cell/landline, you get charged international rate.

I don't know if this problem has been resolved, I'll look into it more cuz I think I'd like to get it.

I've used Skype in the past with my friends abroad, but it was early on. What I didn't know was that they can now forward your calls to your mobile (cell phone) if you're not online!

For example, say you live in New York and are travelling to Toronto, but your dear mother, your best friend and the real estate agent trying to sell your apartment are back in New York. You can get an actual New York number that is connected to your Skype. So, when your mother misses you or the real estate agent wants to tell you some good news, they punch in a number familiar to them and they only pay their standard call rates – but you pick up the call with Skype in Toronto.
    So you could get a local number to your mum (in Japan?) and do it that way!

Hope this helps!
    Free Charmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information