Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB ports broken; what the fuck now?

Default USB ports broken; what the fuck now?

I really don't know what I'm talking about, so hopefully you'll bear with me, and be able to understand.

I tried to connect my camera to my computer and its saying the device cant be recognized. So i figure the usb holes that the camera cord connects into, on my computer tower, are broken. How do i replace them? They're on front of the tower under the power button; and yes both are broken. The first broke a year ago and i didn't worry about it because the second one next to it, did. Now they're both fucked; and i am so pissed off because i cant get the pictures off my camera. If anyone knows what i'm talking about, i'd really appreciate the help ,thanks!

I'll be interested to know too, because only one of my three USB ports works properly.

But are you sure you don't have any USB ports on the back of your tower? On our desktop PC, we have two on the front and one on the back.

Usually you have quite a few USB ports in the back of your tower. I think we have like 5.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Mariesoleil for President!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If you do find one that's working, get a USB hub. That way you can plug in many devices in one port.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Mariesoleil for President!!

^^ huh?
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post

^^ huh?
    Because you had the solution! You are a problem solver who needs to be a President!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Ummm okay, I thought I detected a hint of sarcasme.

Hold on, I had this same problem. The computer sees that something is plugged into your USB port, so the port is working. The part that is NOT working is that your computer got stupid and can't figure out what the hell you plugged in there. Most likely it's a windows issue.

I had this problem before. It started out that I'd plug something in, the computer would recognize it, but wouldn't load the drivers to make it run even fi it had them. Then it stopped trying to load even the drivers. Just sat there going "derrrr" when i jacked something into it.

I had to wipe my computer, format the hard drive, and reload windows from scratch. I copied all my files onto a portable hard drive, wiped and reloaded the computer, and then transferred all the files back again.

Worked like a charm. no problems now.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^Thats whats happening to me. My camera is connecting to the computer ,as opposed to the first broken USB port that does nothing and also its a loose fit - so I don't know if its a problem with the USB, because i plugged an ipod into it and it worked. Its just the camera thats being a cunt. I figured if it was broken, it wouldnt connect, and i wouldn't be able to use the ipod in there either. It just pisses me right off that something that worked yesterday is not working today!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy
    If you do find one that's working, get a USB hub. That way you can plug in many devices in one port.
    Thanks, i had no idea they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil
    Usually you have quite a few USB ports in the back of your tower. I think we have like 5.
    Oh i wish i had more, i have 2 in the front, one in the back. Its not working on any.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna
    On our desktop PC, we have two on the front and one on the back.
    Thats me exactly.

Ahh Rasberry, my ipod was the only thing my computer WOULD recognize. It didn't recognize cameras or anything else i jacked into it. I think it had something to do with itunes software being better at loading its own drivers for the ipod.

Seriously, wipe your computer, format the hard drive and reinstall windows. The issue that I had was a registry glitch that many people had, but unfortunately the only way to get rid of it was to wipe the machine. I tried to fix the registry but it wouldnt let me, it said "error while deleting" so a catch 22.

Wiping should be done yearly anyway. Windows is such a shitty OS that it eventually just gums up like a car with old oil.

When's the last time you did a reformat and wipe? If it's over a year and a half, I'd do it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Arrrggghhhh thats the last thing I want to do

Thanks for the advice though.

Ok, it accepts other things I put in - maybe its the camera cord thats broken. It does look a little bent.

ack posted about the same time as you! Hopefully it's just the camera cord!! Still leaving the rest of my post just in case it helps someone.

Do you know how to get to your device manager? If you go to your control panel, then click system, a system properties box will pop up (at least in XP). One of the tabs says Hardware, if you click that tab, you can see the Device Manager button and click on that. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING but see if the list that pops up has anything with yellow question marks or red X's on it. You can double click on any item and it will give you some basic info on it. Sometimes you can get an idea about what the errors are from that, unlikely to be drivers since it just quit working, unless you just got a windows update that hosed the drivers.

Also, the connection could be bad (I've had power switches go out that way, the connection at the case comes loose)

You can buy an addin card if you have a slot free on your motherboard. Then again, if you're like most people you have no desire to take your case apart (I currently have 4 machines apart and under construction, but I'm a freak that way). The cards aren't that hard to install really, but you could have a shop do it if you just don't want to try it yourself.

something like this:

Newegg.com - Koutech Hi-Speed PCI to USB2.0 Card Model KW-2580N4 - Retail

good luck, hope that helped (and made sense)
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Thanks Corsair, the USB seems to be fine, so I' thinking its the damn cord. Which sucks because i dont know if they can be replaced without buying a new camera. I complain too much, i've had it for 4 years, i guess shit has to break to eventually!

I've bought replacement cords for my camera, just take the old one with you so you get the right one. Good luck, hope that's all it is!!
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information