Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot Search & Destroy

Default Spybot Search & Destroy

My daughter has been using my computer lately. The teen sites where she hangs out are really bad for spyware. Because of this, I downloaded Spybot S&D to clean things up a bit. I've used an older version of Spybot in the past and had no problems with it. The one I downloaded today is the newest version. It grabbed the spyware that I suspected was lurking, but I've noticed that my computer is now running more slowly and my games keep freezing up. It's really fucking annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem with spyware programs and how did you fix it?

Thanks.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

The only problem I've had recently is that I don't have enough memory...(got some kinda notification on the comp about it). When you install new programs/games and such your comp will slow down running low on memory I believe.

I think it helps to do some disk clean up to free up space.

Do you have any other anti-spyware programs? Sometimes some of them don't get along... don't know what it is/how it happens but some don't seem compatible and just cannot co-exist.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Ad-aware is really good - I use that one all the time.
    I like it better than Spybot.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I use both Ad-Aware and SpyBot and have for several years now. I did upgrade to the newest version of SpyBot and didn't notice a difference but I will tell you something I learned recently.

Everytime you get the pop-up notice that your memory is running low, it is taking part of your permanent RAM and it's gone forever. No matter what you do, you will never recover that portion of RAM that was used due to low memory. This is what over time makes your system gradually become slower and slower.

You have to be very careful if you are playing games from the net (not those you have downloaded onto your computer) because they are the ones most likely to use up too much of your current running RAM and cause the above message.
    Playful~

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Ad-aware is really good - I use that one all the time.
    I like it better than Spybot.
    I do have Ad-aware. Spybot picked up a ton of stuff after I'd run Ad-aware. It also got some really annoying pop-ups that I've had for a few days that Ad-aware ignored.

I'll try a disk clean-up. I never download anything, so I should have tons of free space, but you never know.

I've never gotten any messages about my memory being low.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I do have Ad-aware. Spybot picked up a ton of stuff after I'd run Ad-aware. It also got some really annoying pop-ups that I've had for a few days that Ad-aware ignored.

I'll try a disk clean-up. I never download anything, so I should have tons of free space, but you never know.

I've never gotten any messages about my memory being low.
    OH MY

Do you have a pop up blocker program? On your toolbar - like Google or Yahoo (I like Google).
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I also have both Ad-Aware and Spybot. Oh yet another one I use is AGV's anti-spyware.
    Out of these three, I like AGV the best and I'd say that Ad-Aware catches the least spywares.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayfulKisses;1033447[B
    Everytime you get the pop-up notice that your memory is running low, it is taking part of your permanent RAM and it's gone forever. No matter what you do, you will never recover that portion of RAM that was used due to low memory. This is what over time makes your system gradually become slower and slower.[/B]

You have to be very careful if you are playing games from the net (not those you have downloaded onto your computer) because they are the ones most likely to use up too much of your current running RAM and cause the above message.
    I think someone was messing with you!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Pop-up blockers ... I have two! And neither of them seem to be very good. Generally, though, I don't have a problem with pop-ups because I use Firefox. The ones I was getting must have been connected to some spyware thing, but Spybot got it.

I have AGV on the laptop. Maybe I should put it on this computer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    I think someone was messing with you!
    *Eeek* I hope not since it was someone in our IT department at work. I've been straddling the fence for a while about buying a new laptop so I've been asking loads of questions. I casually mentioned that my desktop at home is 4 yrs old and I was afraid it was going to crash unexpectedly someday so I told him about it running so much slower since I bought it. I regularly run the ScanDisc and other maintenance and asked if there was anything else I should be doing.

That is when the conversation came up about the 'memory running low' box I occasionally get.
    Playful~

It just can't permanently take parts of your RAM. It doesn't work that way. Maybe this guy just wasn't explaining it well?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    It just can't permanently take parts of your RAM. It doesn't work that way. Maybe this guy just wasn't explaining it well?
    LOL...that is quite possible since I am an illiterate when it comes to the hardware. Give me software and I can do anything you ask

But I am positive of the gist of what he told me. Wherever the system is stealing that extra memory to keep running after its become low is what he said is permanently gone and eventually and gradually makes the system run slower. NOW...does he know what he's talking about? I would hope so considering the position he's in but maybe not~
    Playful~

When your PC is running slow - backup / save all the important data (external harddrive) and formate and set up the system again. This destroys the processes that slow down your PC and you've got the chance for a fresh start.

When you use Spybot: Check the Advanced Mode (Secure Shreder; System Internals <- be careful what you delete). Also check the Process List in this menu; which you can also see with Strg+Alt+Del. There you can see, what process is slowing you down. Another thing would be to defragment your harddrive.

Sometimes AntiSpyWare and Firewalls block themselves... Happend here: I used AdAware+Spybot+Zonealarm...

I regularly use Spybot and AdAware, as well as Spyware Blaster and have Norton anti-virus running. I also defrag at least once a month. The problem with checking the processes, which I also look at frequently, is that I have no idea whether they are essential or not. Most of them are unidentifiable (at least to me) with the abbreviations used...and of course, they do not tell you what their purpose is. As far as reformatting, I have no working knowledge of the hardware on PCs and I'm afraid I would end up destroying the entire system. I would rather have it run slow at times than to render it completely unuseable.
    Playful~

Stop defraging that often. There's no need for it, when you don't change software and settings that often. It's like a LP that you play every day... sooner or later you smash it...

Another option: HijackThis Logfileauswertung Download the programm mentioned. Do a scan, copy the report and paste it into this site. They check all of the programms and processes running and tell you exactly what is good or should be fixed.

What kind of Firewall do you use?

Do you remember, when the slowing down happened?

How do you "delete" software from your PC / Laptop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information