Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic vs. metal Apple laptop issues?

Default Plastic vs. metal Apple laptop issues?

I've had my white plastic Apple laptop for 1 month and 1 year, and I"m already having pieces of the plastic chip off the laptop! I have tape on both sides holding the plastic parts in place. I'm so pissed!

I previously had a titanium iBook (I think?), and I had no problems with it, but the keyboard and the hardrive went belly-up. So now I have a white MacBook with a plastic casing. When I bought it, I thought nothing of the metal vs. plastic issue.

Now I wish I had! The plastic on it keeps splintering off and I've now taped it together.

Has anyone else had this experience? Do those plastic shell / casing things to protect the laptop work? Would repairing / replacing the splintering case be covered by warranty? Will I be fighting against this throughout the lifetime of the computer, and should I consider just upgrading again back to a metal laptop?

Um check with applecare.. if you have extended warranty they should cover it. Even if you don't, drag it in to an apple store.. a lot of them will be quite helpful and either work something out to fix or replace the unit.

Apple isn't stingy when it comes to customer care.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gosh Cali! Both my folks have iBook or equiv; mine is an old 17" titanium G4.
    Theirs haven't chipped or anything but I broke the catch on mine when I dropped it (damned terracotta tile floors! Nothing bounces!).
    But the aplle-care thing is good to now... now if Grimm can just solve my XML query, I'm laughing!
    Free Charmed.

Hey, if you live anywhere near the Beverly Center, take it there. They are used to dealing with very demanding celeb types, and they tend to replace things without too much hassle.

You might want to claim that you've cut yourself on the cracked housing, and you feel its dangerous.

Be very nice, smile, and attest to your faith in the Apple Brand. They like that. They'll hook you up.

After it's been replaced, buy a protective shell from Techshell. Best $80 I've spent on my mac.

13" MacBook Shells

Good luck!

ooooooh! I'm impressed at your usefulness! Thanks Cherrypye!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    ooooooh! I'm impressed at your usefulness! Thanks Cherrypye!
    Glad to be of service!

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    Hey, if you live anywhere near the Beverly Center, take it there. They are used to dealing with very demanding celeb types, and they tend to replace things without too much hassle.

You might want to claim that you've cut yourself on the cracked housing, and you feel its dangerous.

Be very nice, smile, and attest to your faith in the Apple Brand. They like that. They'll hook you up.

After it's been replaced, buy a protective shell from Techshell. Best $80 I've spent on my mac.

13" MacBook Shells

Good luck!
    Thank you guys so much!!!! I'm going to try to take care of it this weekend. thats great advice!

I went to my local computer shop today to look for those shells... Macs don't seem to be as popular on the high street in the UK - needless to say they had the usual 3 pieces of software, a number of new lappies & no flexi-covers*! No fair!
    I, however, did buy myself an external hard drive to back my stuff up.... dead cheap & seems to be working like a dream (it's spinning away as I type....)

* I will be now looking on line in the UK...
    Free Charmed.

I've had a plastic i-book for about 5 years and nothing has broken off. I do want to get a new metal one soon, but I have to win the lottery first.

Theres always Apple-pay or whatever it's called over there - and you might be entitled to the educational discounts? They're always useful.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I went to my local computer shop today to look for those shells... Macs don't seem to be as popular on the high street in the UK - needless to say they had the usual 3 pieces of software, a number of new lappies & no flexi-covers*! No fair!
    I, however, did buy myself an external hard drive to back my stuff up.... dead cheap & seems to be working like a dream (it's spinning away as I type....)

* I will be now looking on line in the UK...
    Yeah, I had no luck finding my shell in the stores. I had to order online too

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

WOW! Thanks Twitchy! I've even poured Pomegranet juice on mine & it's fine... I guess I lucked out all round (it was half price as it's a G4 & not a duo).
    Still having problems finding those covers in the UK CP - if you know of anywhere that ships them would you let me know please?

Edit: Found them in the UK!
    Last edited by Novice; February 2nd, 2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: further googling....
    Free Charmed.

I've spilled all kinds of stuff on my Mac -- finally shorted out one keyboard -- but the most important thing to do is to turn it off immediately and do not try to use the the keypad. I turn it upside down and let the liquid drain, then I use a hair dryer. Then let it sit for at least a day or two before using it again. It's worked many times for me. I now have a self-imposed "klutz" rule that any liquids have to be on the bookshelf beside my desk, and so far, I haven't spilled anything in months. *knocks wood*

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    THank you so much!!

And Cherrypye, THANK YOU! I just got my laptop back from the Beverly Center Apple store and you were so right. They replaced the entire case for me, new keyboard and everything, free of charge.

The tech explained that often he sees this happening and he thinks its because people shut the laptop too forcefully over time. He explained that there are tiny magnets in the outer corners of the laptop, and that if you get the end close enough, it actually will close itself, so there's no reason to slam it shut. He was so nice, really explained everything to me.

I also had issues with the bottom getting overheated and the plastic has actually become scorched and turned slightly brown. THe tech explained to me that the problem is using my laptop on my lap, and not allowing the heat to be fanned off because the vent is covered. So he showed me this cool laptop pad that vents the computer and has a fan on the bottom. Its AMAZING. Here: The Apple Store (U.S.) - Belkin Laptop Pad

And I had previously taken it into the Apple store at South Coast Plaza and I knew more than the tech. So the Beverly Center referral was amazing- thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I've spilled all kinds of stuff on my Mac -- finally shorted out one keyboard -- but the most important thing to do is to turn it off immediately and do not try to use the the keypad. I turn it upside down and let the liquid drain, then I use a hair dryer. Then let it sit for at least a day or two before using it again.
    OMG! I'm such a klutz too. I bought this iSkin for my keyboard and its amazing. I"ve spilled tons of things directly on the keyboard and all I have to do is pull the silicon skin off. The keyboard is totally untouched and not damaged under the spill. It was a great investment:The Apple Store (U.S.) - iSkin ProTouch Keyboard Protector for MacBook (Clear)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information